Model Cars Magazine Forum

M-k Ford F350 And Open Road Camper

I've been working on this on and off since last April. It originally started as new Box Art for the soon to be re-issued Racers Wedge - Open Road Camper kit but I couldn't make RC2's deadline so I finished it just for fun. :D

Picture067-vi.jpg

The cab is based on the M-K Ford F350 Pickup kit, built on a shortened 2WD chassis and back dated with a early style grille. The bumper guards are from scratch. The 1-ton wheels and tires are Modelhaus.

Picture063-vi.jpg

The cab color is '77 Ford Truck code D, Copper Poly but I'm calling the truck a '76 Model. I clear coated it with PPG Omni Urethane.

Picture053-vi.jpg

The Camper Shell is Duplicolor GM code 11 Ivory with Plymouth T5 Bronze Fire Poly and Ford Ginger Brown Poly striping.

Picture059-vi.jpg

The Camper Shell is built Box Stock yet it was a very challenging kit all by itself. I used more BMF on the trim then any other kit I have ever built. I sealed the Camper exterior and trim with Testors Gloss Clear Lacquer.

Picture055-vi.jpg

The wood trim is clear orange brushed over a light tan base. The rest of the interior colors are variations of the exterior trim colors.

Picture056-vi.jpg

I added a pre-wired distributor and some engine bay parts from the M-K Bronco kit. Yes, I know the valve covers are on backwards.

Picture057-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking, you can see some in progress photos in my Model King Fotki Album starting at the link below.

Ford F350 Camper

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

• 6 years later...

Nice!

Just one thing- your '76 has '77 side cowl badges in addition to the '77 color. The '76 badges were on the fender. Still, very nicely done!

Thanks everyone and good info Chuck .... if the round headlamp grille is still correct I guess I'll call it a '77 F350 from now on. FYI, I just added back the missing photos that Fotki moved on me since the original post.

-Steve