Model Cars Magazine Forum

Edurance Racing Group Build (Official Thread)

mikevillena

REGISTRATION DEADLINE: NONE

There is no completion deadline so as to allow all participants to build at their own pace or as circumstances permit.

Group Build is open to all skill levels and all scales (i.e. 1/43rd, 1/32nd, 1/24th, 1/20th, 1/16th, etc)

Q&A, suggestions, and comments here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89848

Revision: Particpants are now free to change or revise their choice of subject car. Furthermore, participants can add new entries as long as the new entry/entries is/are compliant with the regulations.

REGULATIONS:

1. Entries are restricted to plastic model kits , multi-media kits containing resin, plastic or metal components or multi-media scratchbuilds. Combination base plastic model kits incorporating aftermarket detailing (i.e. photo-etched, resin cast) or conversion components are allowed. Pre-built die casts or pre-built models (beyond 25% completion) are ineligible. .

2. Subject automobile must have competed in at least a single round of an FIA sanctioned endurance race and can be documented as such.

3. Coloration and markings should be reasonably accurate.

4. Partially begun (up to 25%) projects are acceptable.

5. Participants are responsible for posting and updating their build progress.

6. Because of the possible length and duration of this thread as well as to maintain focus and integrity, all posts by the entrants must be entirely relevant to the build and must be limited to photos or snapshots of the build in progress. NON-PARTICIPANTS ARE PROHIBITED FROM POSTING ANYTHING IN THE THREAD. Any comments, suggestions, or assistance such as reference photos should be conducted off thread or by PM.

7. This is intended to be a fun and NON-COMPETITIVE group build with the goal of challenging oneself and achieving personal goals regardless of challenges, difficulties or setbacks.

PARTICIPANTS:

mikevillena: Porsche 935/78

123yokomo: 1) Aston Martin LMP1 2) Porsche 956B (Joest Racing)

afx: '65 Ford GT40 P/1005

maltsr: Audi R10 TDI

Phildaupho: Porsche 962C (short tail)

mr68gts: Porsche GT1

Misha: Porsche 907/908

mrindy77: Maserati Tipo 61

Edited by mikevillena

• 2 weeks later...

Manufacturer: Porsche

Model: 935/78

FIA Classification: FIA Group 5

Base Kit: Tamiya

Scale: 1/24th

IMG_1381_zps0f44a372.jpg

IMG_1382_zps6226542c.jpg

IMG_1383_zpsdb972ff5.jpg

IMG_1384_zps672942dd.jpg

This Tamiya kit was tooled back in 1978 so it is curbside and was intended for motorization. I built the original issue kit in the early 80's and it came with a Mabuchi motor, metal contacts and wires.

Edited by mikevillena

Still cleaning up the bodyshell. There was a surprising amount of misalignment between the mold halves and inserts:

IMG_1386_zpsa88b740b.jpg

I've also taken to opening up all of the louvers and re-scribing all of the lines as well as adding missing ones:

IMG_1387_zps85a14d3e.jpg

IMG_1388_zps720bc59f.jpg

IMG_1389_zps5b38ca6f.jpg

IMG_1390_zpse0450052.jpg

IMG_1391_zpsd866b0f0.jpg

I will have to cut out the "aerodynamic extension" on the door area so that I can add the rest of missing door. I will also have to grind out the molded screen air intakes on the "c" pillar, build out the correct passages and add fine wire mesh.

Nice start guys - your engine looks great Paul and impressive work on the louvres Mike.

Hope to start on the Audi soon, but here's a couple of McLaren GT3 cars I've built. Just ordered a third set of decals, so could I add that to my entry?

001_zpsbedbc1b6.jpg

002_zps3c5651bd.jpg

Count me in! I have always wanted to join in with a community build and this theme hit it on the spot for me. I've pulled out the old Union kit of the 1/24 Porsche 907/8. I'll be building the 907 Langheck (LH) or Longtail version, chassis 005, one of only seven Longtails built for the 1968 racing season. Chassis 005 was overall winner at the 1968 running of the 24 Hours of Daytona driven by Vic Elford and Jochen Neerpasch, as part of the Works Teams 1-2-3 finish and representing the first time a Porsche won a 24-hour race. The Langheck was a five-time entrant at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, winning its class at the 1971 race at the hands of Walter Brun and Petter Mattli.

Been searching the web photos, thankfully there are loads of detail shots of this particular racer. It was recently auctioned off at Amelia for three million plus!!! A very historic Porsche. The kit offers minimal engine and rear detail, so plenty of room for detailing.

Cheers Misha

post-2074-0-76916100-1403631540_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-91178500-1403631814_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-14316400-1403631824_thumb.jp

Manufacturer - Porsche

Model - 962C

FIA Classification - Group C

Base Kit - Hasegawa

Scale - 1/24

I built this model during the 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans and have posted photo under On the Workbench and Under Glass but was asked to post here.

I shortened the tail and encorporated the wing and transaxle from a Hasegawa Nissan R89C. The wheels also came from that kit. The MOMO livery decals are from Fred Cady. The model was painted with Tamiya spray paint.

photo2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Misha - Glad you could join us. Revised the entrant's list.

Phil - Superb job on a true 24 Hour build!

All interested parties are welcome to join in the build with an appropriate car. Entrants can also add new eligible projects at any time. :)

Guess my 787B would fit in here but do I really need more threads to remember? Barely remember the ones I have.

Great and interesting builds in here.

Robin, feel free to join in. Your Mazda 787 would be in appropriate (and very good) company :D

i'd like to join this build..will post post some pics soon

Manufacturer: Maserati

Model: Birdcage 1960 Nurburgring 1000 kilometer Gurney/Moss 1st place

FIA Classification: Division 3

Base Kit: Scale Aardvark Models

Scale: 1/24th

Okay, I've added you to the entrant's list. This should be a beautiful birdcage! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Porsche 907 LH

Caution: Rather long entry...

Having had time to closely examine the Heller kit of the Porsche 907 Lang Hang (re-popped by Union) and performed some basic construction steps, I'm very pleased by this project. The web provides a wealth of visual references which allows modellers to accurately depict a certain vehicle, in this case chassis #005, that won the 1968 Daytona 24 Hour, with two other 907s placing second and third. The various auction sites are great for detailed "Walk Around" photos, perfect for gearheads! One also begins to notice various details to improve or correct the model.

Overall impressions of the kit are positive. The body pieces have very minimal mold lines; most of them are found on the edges. They are also very delicate and thin, with very fine detail displayed by the rivets in the belly pan and the fine Dzuz fasteners on the hood. Ejector pin marks are quite widespread but will be mostly hidden from view and those that require work are easily dealt with. Only serious sink marks appeared on the nose sides, again a case of Green Stuff and Mr. Surfacer.

The fit of the three main pieces are generally good with the exception of the lower leading edge of the rear piece (the one that doesn't get glued) where it meets the rear of the door and belly pan. It spreads out some what. Fitting the rear window appears to help, though the solution seems to fit pins, so the piece fits when closed. The only major discrepancy I've discovered is the extra refuelling cap on the right side of the fender; it doesn't appear in the photos.

The major issue with the kit is the sparseness of engine bay detail. The fuel caps in the kit lead to nowhere, just empty space when the rear is lifted. The photos show the right side space to be occupied by the fuel pipe to the tank and all its extra hoses for venting and overflow. The opposite side is occupied by the fuel pump and assorted lines leading to the injection pump. All of that needs to be scratch built. The overall lack of detail in the engine compartment is furthered by having the rear body work removable or posed in the open position. If this were a curbside, I would say bravo, for the expansive rear window does show off very good detail of what is seen; once you open the body work, it's a disappointment, and a challenge!!!

Enhancements to the body will be to add release catches for the rear body work just aft of the rear wheel openings; to remove the front grill and replace it with photo etch; and to detail the rear spoiler which has been somewhat fudged by the support struts added, and the omission of the release catches just below the spoiler.

The lack of detail is extended to the pancake eight cylinder engine. The construction is very basic with most of the detail spent on the top with individual injectors, fan shroud, and rudimentary dual distributors (2 plugs per cylinder!). Paint detail is also poor, missing completely the raw fibreglass light brown required. The remainder of the engine bay has the basic tube frame and venturi stacks for the airscoops that lead to nowhere. Luckily a poorly lit photo of the Porsche garage offered the solution showing long air hoses leading forward to each wheel well for brake cooling.

The front and rear suspension setups are also very rudimentary, with the front having toy like workable steering! The front will mainly be hidden by the fixed body work, yet the rear will require some basic additions such as a sway bar, again very evident in the web photos. The rotors lack callipers, not outside the skills of most, yet its always so nice to have them, and we've become accustomed to having them. The tires are decent, nameless, and exhibit nasty attachment points that ruin the tread pattern. The wheels, thankfully are unplated, in fact there is no chrome sprue in the kit (saving me a step with stripping). The only serious flash in the entire was evident in one of the wheel castings, yet a fresh #11 took care of that.

The interior is also on display through a huge expanse of windshield and side windows. While the actual racer is quite sparse, there are a couple if items to look at. The photos show and incredible amount of detail on the side bulkheads, ahead of the door openings. There are a number of hoses, what appears to be a windshield water bag, fuse box and wiring, all quite visible. On the kit the entire bulkhead structure is missing, with open space to the front wheel wells. In addition, the kit positions the shifter on the bulkhead next to the driver (the fuel tank, I believe?), while the prototype has the shifter and its linkage in the open, next to the bulkhead. Both are acceptable modelling tasks to add detail (oh, but I wish...).

The transparencies are a work of molding art, especially considering when this kit was engineered. The rear displays delicate open, yes open louvres, along with the large top louvres. This is the only piece I have trial fitted and it did so beautifully, in fact it will help strengthen the entire rear body work. I'm hopeful that the front windscreen and headlamp covers will fit as well. The headlamp lenses are also included, as are clear rear lights, rear view mirror, injector mesh covers (for the 908 model, yet I've discovered a use for them!), and the firewall window. It's this last piece that will require a bit of detailing, as the sliding panel was missed altogether (imagine that it was for cooling the cockpit by allowing greater air flow. The drivers wore NASA style cool suits to combat the high interior temps due to oil and water lines running under and around them. A first for motor racing, later adopted by NASCAR and others).

The decals provided offer the markings for the Chassis #005 that won at Daytona, Porsche's first endurance win, and a second set of marking for the alternate 908 model. Considering the age, I'll scan them and then spray a decal preservative before attempting to use them. Thankfully the markings of the day were very minimal. Imagine I'll replace some of the Porsche crests with newer. better registered sets.

Thank you for staying with me for so long! This serves as an intro to the project and will now be followed by more WIP style entires.

Cheers Misha

post-2074-0-88093200-1404687003_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-91719200-1404687049_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-70382600-1404687085_thumb.jp

Porsche 907 LH / Fitting the pieces together...

With summer at its height it's hard to get to the workbench. Been busy with fitting the parts, constructing sub assemblies, and detailing major body parts. The simple approach by Heller to the interior spaces has required the addition of bulkheads between the leading edge of the doors to the front wheel well. This area is very visible thru the huge expanse of glass and provides mounting surfaces for electrics, hose connections, fluid bag and fire extinguisher. I scratch built the bulkheads into the upper portion of the front body shell. Also hollowed out the small instrument dash to accept a panel with tach and engine vitals. The moulded in front grill was removed to be replaced with a PE piece. Pedal detail has been enhanced with PE as well. Still need to construct the shifter assembly to fit between the driver seat and right side bulkhead. The left gas cap was removed and the resulting hole in the rear body piece was filled.

The front suspension was dry fit, it's toy like workings being very apparent. The addition of brake callipers and brake lines will help as will detailed painting. The wheels require air valves and come unplated saving a step. Looking ahead at the engine assembly, Heller has provided a delicate injector assembly with stacks, a rack and injector pump with pulleys, top, two part cooling fan and two angled distributor bodies. Keeping the stacks on the sprue as they require small holes to be drilled into each one, at the same angle, to accommodate the fuel lines from the pump.

Going to begin prepping for the primer coats to go on. Then sorting the parts for Alclad finishing. Still have a few fit issues to solve, main one is the huge gap between the firewall and front body when it's fitted to the belly pan.

Progress is a bit slow now, yet the forecast is for clouds and rain, so that means more workbench time!

Cheers Misha

post-2074-0-78390100-1405783756_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-18142900-1405783784_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-41398900-1405783835_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-70089400-1405783858_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-76527100-1405783883_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-50094600-1405783904_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

It's been a busy summer, yet with September in swing it's time to get back to the workbench! Spent the long weekend getting the body ready for primer. The first task was enclosing the rear wheel wells by filling in the top of the arch. Another item was to construct the small wells for the rear body latches. Using the razor saw I made cuts in the body sides followed by installing small pieces of plastic channel to provide the well depth. A major problem was the gap between the front body shell and rear firewall. The solution was to place a thin piece of styrene halfway up the firewall and using a file card template to cut the curve and window opening. To complete the basic interior structure, I detailed the small instrument housing, the switch panel to the left, and positioning the steering wheel column. To complete the body shell the wonky hinge arrangement, completely wrong and out of scale, was eliminated by cutting and filling. Other body imperfections were also filled and sanded in perpetration for the primer.

Did a mockup of the pancake engine with the existing kit parts which illustrated the lack of detail when compared to photos of the actual engine. The instructions provide for a 907 or a 908, neither of which was accurate. Using a combination of parts I fitted the injection pump and scratchbuilt the pulley attachments. The two part fan and housing lacked a proper base that was solved with a shaped piece of plastic. The fan was detailed with Grandt bolts and nuts. This assembly will be finished in raw fiberglass. The dual distributors are very basic, lacking the engine housing running in between them; this was easily replicated with bits of plastic.

Finally, after a quick wash and scrub, the parts were ready for primer!

So here are the top body parts in primer!!! Still have a couple of sink holes in the nose section, having filled it with Tamiya putty. Otherwise it has turned out well, and leaving the coat to cure for a couple of days will allow me to begin masking in preparation for applying the white top coat. It's fortunate that most of the inside of the Porsche were sprayed a grey primer over top of the raw brown fiberglass, as the colour matches my primer. There are a few smaller parts that will be in that fiberglass colour.

Thanx for looking,

Cheers Misha

Sorry got the snapshots out of order...

post-2074-0-93768400-1409694266_thumb.jppost-2074-0-49722800-1409694309_thumb.jppost-2074-0-24415000-1409694373_thumb.jppost-2074-0-55312000-1409694552_thumb.jppost-2074-0-95154900-1409694590_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-36808200-1409694977_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-41832100-1409695019_thumb.jp

Creative gizmology and scratch building!

Sun is shining so workbench doesn't get as much attention. Been carving and cutting plastic to have the Porsche 907 resemble more closely the prototype. After priming the body tub and good portion of the engine I've added detail to the crankcase shroud horizontal joint, and have begun the fuel pump and pickup arrangement on the starboard side and the fuel filler pipe opposite (need to pick up some heavier gauge solder). Inside I've added the drivers heat shield on the floor and up the side (these cockpits were notoriously hot, with the first "cool suits" being used here first!), a more accurate shifter arrangement with linkage running to the back, and a floor supporting brace. Later will come the fire extinguisher, windshield fluid bag, fuse panel, plumbing and driver's harness.

Cheers Misha

post-2074-0-87383400-1409890084_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-07781800-1409890124_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-10127700-1409890340_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-25858600-1409890362_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-49983100-1409890391_thumb.jp