Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's the missing XR-6 References/Sources chart from my "AMT Odd Road Roadsters" article in the latest issue of MCM...

I realize many of you probably already have some or all of these references at hand, but for those that do not, here they are:

1.1 scale XR-6:

· “Tex Smith’s XR-6”, by LeRoi Tex Smith, Hot Rod magazine, August, 1963, pp.60-67. Includes centerspread “Phantom View”.

· “Milestones – The XR-6 – The Concept Rod That Started It All”, by LeRoi Tex Smith, Street Rodder magazine, February, 2003, pp.34-40.

· “XR-6 Roadster”, Lost Hot Rods – Remarkable Stories of How They Were Found, by Pat Ganahl, pp. 158-159, CarTech , Inc.

· Also: Rod Action, May, 1976 pg. 9; Rod and Custom, October 1992, pp.94-96, Hot Rods and Customs of the 1960’s, pg. 54, Andy Southard, Jr., 1997, Motorbooks International

AMT XR-6/’27 T Double Kit:

· “Looking Back – AMT 1927 Ford T/XR-6 Double Kit #2107”, by Dennis Doty, Model Cars #126, October, 2007, pp. 9-13.

· “Building Hot Rod Tubs from Two Forgotten AMT Trophy Series Kits”, by Tim Boyd, Model Cars #174, January, 2013, pp20-25.

Best regards....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

By the way, Tim. Nice article. The XR6 was always one of my favorite 'hot rods,' so I really enjoyed both your build and your article.

Will your series include the Wild Dream double kit? B)

Danno.....thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I did consider for a bit the Wild Dream/King T Double Kit. But most people seem to know about that kit and the follow-up MPC releases (at least us hard core hot rod modelers since these were both Oakland Roadster Show winners back in the day,,,of course, now that I write that, the XR6 was also an Oakland winner....hmmm....maybe I better double check my logic on this!)

The others I have in mind are ones that most people don't know about....the other feature model buildup is done but I've got to get busy and finish the text and the other box art photos for "Part 2", now that "Part 1" is finally in print...

TIm

I am currently using the Z'ed frame from the XR-6 for a completely different build, and I plan on doing a proper build of the XR-6 itself in the next year. I always thought that car had some real potential despite the kinda clunky outboard fenders for instance, so I will have to pick up this issue to see whats up. I also always loved the asymmetrical styling and the six cylinder engine. saw it once in person at an auto show; could have been in St Louis in about 63 or 64 or so.

edit to add: that cut away phantom view of the car also was a big influence on me back when I was 13 years old. always wanted to build the model that way somehow but could never figure out how. needed some of that invisible paint I guess.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

. always wanted to build the model that way somehow but could never figure out how. needed some of that invisible paint I guess.

jb

JB...smile....cool to know that the kit is of interest to more than just myself....TIM PS - I built mine without the fenders for just the reason you state....TB

Thanks, Tim - enjoyed your build in the latest issue. I'm currently working on an XR-6 myself; trying to be as faithful to the original as possible. I have the Hot Rod article, as well as some photos of the car I took at the Petersen Museum.

628XR6-vi.jpg

626XR6-vi.jpg

A few more here: http://public.fotki.com/Roullier/cars_cars_cars/xr-6/

Edited by RancheroSteve

For the record, the fact that Tim's sources were left out of the article is on me.

I copied and pasted his text into my layout, and meant to go back to his Word doc and add the references once I had the article laid out and I knew how much room I had left. But I forgot to do that. Not an excuse, just an explanation. I blew it.

Thanks, Tim - enjoyed your build in the latest issue. I'm currently working on an XR-6 myself; trying to be as faithful to the original as possible. I have the Hot Rod article, as well as some photos of the car I took at the Petersen Museum.

A few more here: http://public.fotki.com/Roullier/cars_cars_cars/xr-6/

Steve...those are way cool pictures - thanks for those and the feedback on the article....TIM

For the record, the fact that Tim's sources were left out of the article is on me.

I copied and pasted his text into my layout, and meant to go back to his Word doc and add the references once I had the article laid out and I knew how much room I had left. But I forgot to do that. Not an excuse, just an explanation. I blew it.

Harry - no worries in the least! Layout (and the photos - you work magic on those!) look great. Thanks...TIM

Here's a few more pics, these are from the '05 Grand National Roadster Show...

7476285810_9a9349dfb5_b.jpg

012005 Grand National Setup 012 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr

7476285676_7425daf62d_b.jpg

012005 Grand National Setup 011 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr

7476285962_9007c79d5f_b.jpg

012005 Grand National Setup 013 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr

7476286158_a7e447d13f_b.jpg

012005 Grand National Setup 014 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr

Thanks, Dave - that engine shot is particularly useful, as I'm trying to replicate the stuff under the cowl somewhat better than the kit does.

Also remembered that I had started an "on the workbench" thread about my build: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81884

You'll see that I split the body in much the same way as you did, Tim ("great minds think alike"?, haha)

I've had to put this build on the back burner for a while to get some other deadline projects done (more about those sooner or later), but I'm hoping to pick up the XR-6 again in a bit.

Edited by RancheroSteve

XR-6 still ranks in my book as one of the best, if not the best expressions of where hot rods/street rods were headed in the early 60's. Even those "stylized" fenders just belong to and on that car, but then I've been accused of being opinionated before! Thanks Dave, for the excellent pics!

Art

I just got photos today from Alan Barton of his relatively recent box stock XR-6 build (including the fenders). It looks super-sharp. (UPDATE: Alan just posted a few pictures of his XR-6 - see post #18 - thanks Alan!)

I've heard back from several people on this topic (including the comments posted here); maybe interest in this kit (at least among the highly involved modeling community represented by Model Cars magazine readers and participants in this Forum, is higher than I thought.

Very, very cool.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Great pix, Dave.

Great topic, Tim. I think the XR6 was more iconic than a lot of people thought. It wasn't 'huge' in the context of the Ala Kart, and it may not have had a fervent band of faithful followers, but it certainly struck a chord with many when it came to suggesting the future.

It may not be the first car that comes to mind when considering the history of hot rodding, but it certainly earned a bigger place in the annals of hotroddering than one might think at first blush!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I am of the opinion that Round2 could invest there scarce tooling dollars in far worse ways that to bring back the XR-6 Parts to the '27 T kit.

If not as part of the T kit, than maybe as a Stand Alone kit, or pair it with another  similar kit from the Vaults. Maybe The Surf'N Van, which is about 85% Surf Woody?

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/surf_n_van.html

Since the Surf Woody was just out last year, I would hope that it could be fairly easy to bring back. Provided of course that the tooling for the Surf'N van specific body parts can still be found. Either way, the XR-6 Would be a great choice IMHO, to restore.