Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth k-123 discontinued

With most model kits, and certainly reissues, any production run is finite, just so many are put out by the injection molding press to be sent down the assembly (kit packaging) line; unlike mass producing real cars, where the production line just keeps on going, hour after hour, day after day until the market is full up.

A production run of model kits is based on expected sales at release/reissue time, and that might vary a bit. Just a bit of guessing here as I'm certainly not privvy to Round 2's planning, but it seems to me that if this reissue took three years to work through the pipeline from factory to retailer to hobbyist, that was a fairly long time, which suggests to me that the sales were considerably slower than expected--unless there was more than one production run.

So, how large is a production run, anyway? With a new kit, the factory may be called upon to run say, 25,000 kits to start with, as that's about what will fill a half-size shipping container, with smaller follow up runs as sales indicate. With a reissued kit, the initial run might be only say, 10,000 kits, given that reissues almost never sell nearly as quickly as the kit did when new. Not very often do reissued kits see more than one production run--particularly true with really old kits from years past--the market seldom dictates more than one followup production run, if that.

Art

• 1 month later...

Hey Art, Thanks for the info, sounds right. I always get at least two reissues when they are released. Just got two T866 little window Petes and ordered a 351 hood conversion from AITM for one of them.

Hey Art, Thanks for the info, sounds right. I always get at least two reissues when they are released. Just got two T866 little window Petes and ordered a 351 hood conversion from AITM for one of them.

I've looked at aitm for the 351 conversion. It's not on their main page. Is aitm releasing a 351 conversion? Would love to do one. Cheers.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the HC-351 from AITM. Really nice casting and super service from Dave. Should have ordered more. Ben, it's not listed in his catalog, but I emailed him on July 1 asking if he planed on casting them and he replied that he already has them. He is on vacation until July 21.