Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '54 Hudsons

Well I will give it a go and see what happens to it can hurt any . It just seems strange to have a texture to all the parts to them. I'll primer them and see whta happens with it. I wonder if the paint from mcw will be ok with it I think is should I just don't care for testor paint that much.

Funny, I never saw that on the three I built?

Art

Lucky You?

It existed, it was discussed here. I'm not about to try to unearth the thread wherever it's buried. Go ask Dave he had at least one member here send him his kit for examination.

Years back, I built a 1/72 Iskra in Polish Navy colors that had a texture like that on the whole kit (Except for the canopy) It didn't show after it was primed, and the paint ended up looking just fine. I can't remember who made it, but it might have been KoPro. It looked like heck in the box, but I never had to do any extra sanding. The primer just leveled over it. The pebbling was really fine, more like dust than sand texture.

I am still looking forward to getting this kit. It looks really nice.

My kit also had that camera-case texture to it, but I elected to say nothing, until Dave and/or Art had a chance to say anything, in an effort to avoid unnecessary eruptions.

I do, however, stand by my comments. The overall detail and as-observed engraving is quite good.

As I don't generally trust unprimed parts (too many problems over the years,) I'll be hitting these with some white primer, and will probably give the body a light pass with some 1000-grit sandpaper to help smooth out the body a bit prior to any coating to be sure because...well, it's just me.

I'd still buy another one. I might, too for one of MCW's Hollywoods.

Charlie Larkin

Oh Boy, when I get my salary I'll definitely buy two of these immediately. I see a Stock and a Mild Custom Hudson coming in the future. So far I've built the '53 Hudson and '55 Chrysler and both of them were really trouble-free models to build so I can't wait to see how good this is. Great job Moebius, I think you're the Number One kit manufacturer nowadays.

The original batch of '53s had that weird "machining" texture on the hood, but it wasn't anything that affected the end paint finish.

Several of mine had that too, it kind of looked like swirls in the plastic. Nothing a little primer didn't solve, though. Primer would solve any roughness issues with the '54 body, as well.

Well I started on the Hudson Hronet Club Coupe today and the finish on the body sands of easy and it also helped me find the mold lines on the body. I have to engine ready for painting and the frame has a lot of simple clean up to do all the kit was nice and stright all the glass was nice and clean the chrome also nice. I'l going to prime the body parts tonight and order so paint from mcw not sure what color to get yet might do a two tone.Dave you hit on with this one I will for sure get a few more of them excllent work on this one and can't waite till I get the 61 Ventura and the other ones that are down the road keep it up!!!!!!!!

I noticed on the original issue '53, that every mounting hole throughout the kit was too snug. I chipped the finish while opening up a hole. Next one, I am doing that before paint. Question is, are the later issue kits any better fitting?

I noticed on the original issue '53, that every mounting hole throughout the kit was too snug. I chipped the finish while opening up a hole. Next one, I am doing that before paint. Question is, are the later issue kits any better fitting?

They're still tight- but the first kit taught me to chase them out before paint. I'd still recommend sanding the side edges of the hood a tad, so it isn't such a tight fit, I've chipped quite a bit of paint of a couple of fenders and cowls while messing around with the hood.

I never had an issue with pin fitting........the only thing I altered in my 4 builds was I lightly sanded the window openings so glass snapped in easier.......very little......and that may have been just me with paint and foil build up.

I've not yet seen the production chrome tree(s) but it is quite possible that the wire wheels might be an added option in the coupe kit. Of course, yet to come (later this year) will be the Hornet Special Club Sedan, so we shall see.

Art

The wheel covers illustrated aren't in the kit; only one set of wheels are mentioned in the instructions. The wire wheel covers are the only ones included. Not complaining about that (the wires look great, as does the rest of the kit) but buyers should know that so they don't look for a second set of wheels that aren't there.

Saw one at our local model car club meeting on Wednesday. Had mixed feeling about the finish of the plastic. I doubt it will be much of a problem. Question the lower rear body side trim. It looks like it will disappear under a couple of coats of paint. Any others have thoughts on this?

Scott

I haven't picked up the '54 Hudson yet. But I admit I'm not looking foreward to the parts having Texture.

I guess I'll have to see what happens when paint is applied.

One would have to ask Why id there Texture to the parts?

Personaly I like nice smooth surfaces to apply paint to.

I hope Moebius goes back to the standard smooth texture..