Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '54 Hudsons

Wow, it looks like this is out! Gotta get me one as a starter as soon as I see one somewhere. From the pics, it looks like Moebius hit another home run with this kit. Now I see a Factory Stock or Mild Custom Hudson coming from my bench. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Engines in 1954 were red - Guards red is probably good..

And, for anyone wishing to weather this engine a bit: The 7X cylinder head was cast aluminum, and the red engine enamel didn't stick all that well to it--in fact, it flaked and peeled off rather quickly back in the day.

Art

And, for anyone wishing to weather this engine a bit: The 7X cylinder head was cast aluminum, and the red engine enamel didn't stick all that well to it--in fact, it flaked and peeled off rather quickly back in the day.

Art

My dad owned a '54 Hornet 4dr Sedan from 1955 through 1960--we went on many trips in this car, including a 3-week sojourn to SE Arizona in December 1957 to visit my-then favorite aunt and uncle. I was in the 8th grade then, and I helped Dad make a pseudo-Pullman berth, wide enough for two adults to sleep on air mattresses, that mounted on top of the back of both front and rear seats, with one bed "frame" (actually a sheet of 1" plywood) that could be slid under the one next to the left side of the interior when nobody was using it. As I was in my growth spurt (age 13 1/2) I got to sleep up there, and either Mom or Dad would take the middle berth when they weren't driving (we did that trip without any motel stays!). My two younger sisters (then aged 11 and 9) were still small enought that Dad made a plywood platform that laid across the rear floor, for a level surface, older sister slept on that, younger one on the back seat. (Air mattresses were used on all three plywood berths). Lots of great, almost legendary stories from that trip, most notably when Mom almost missed a red light in the middle of Little Rock, Arkansas in the middle of the night--stomped on the brakes, and I slid, so very ungracefully, forward, head-first, down over the back of the front seat, across the cushion, down onto the floor, woke up staring at the heater!

As our parents took us out of school 2 weeks before Christmas vacation, my teachers gave me "special assignments": For Math class (8th grade) I was to calculate the miles traveled, gasoline used (gas mileage--we averaged 20mpg for the trip!), cost of everything, and driving times (all of this predicted beforehand, then compared to actual results), for History Class, a written report on historical sites along the way, 3 per week--had fun with that one! And for English Class, a set of themes about what that trip meant to me (it provided topics for themes all the way through High School!). For Science Class, a report (which turned out to be 6 pages, with photo's I took, of stuff all along the way, mostly in the deserts and mountain regions).

I had already been "tapped" as the "Navigator" for all family road trips (Dad never was any good at following road maps!), so with the aid of Rand-McNally, I laid out the trip, both outbound and return--Dad missed but one turn.

All the way, save for a generator problem, that '54 Hudson Hornet sedan performed flawlessly, I also truly learned to drive in it (more so than the '59 Chevy Biscayne in Driver's Ed Class), even took my Driver's Road Test in it for my license in August of 1960.

When the kit gets into production, WATCH me turn it into a full fledged Hornet 4dr sedan!

Art

Holy Camper, Art! ... those sleeping arrangements .. that's a first!

What did you do with all that plywood when you just wanted to sit? I'd say this should be built into one of the new Hudsons so we all can see! :)

Edited by Foxer

I have just opened my kit and I have to say I AM a little disappointed in the texture on some of the chrome parts. If I build it I will certainly strip and sand these parts and have them rechromed.

The same texture on the body won't bother me and it looks to be a very nice kit on the whole.