Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revells 50 Ford Truck..quickie Review

Also, if one does decide to build this truck "factory stock", be sure to carefully sand away the wood grain between the skid strips, as on the real trucks, from the factory, there wasn't any exposed wood.

Ford, in their pickup beds 1928-52, used a sheet metal floor OVER the oak planking, having "skid strips" stamped into that--with one inch drain holes at each front corner of the bed floor. Since very few restorers either know, or care about this detail, most of these trucks get restored with piano-finished wood planking.

Biscuitbuilder

This was true for a wide bed in 1930 but the others in 1930 were just painted black over the wood not a steel floor .Ford did not stain and clear the wood for the beds.

• 3 years later...

The one with the yellow truck on the box I'm pretty sure has the right headers, I have three versions and need to pull them out and check. I know the one with the panel painted decals is not right.

I know this is old but the truck on the box that Revell based the kit on has a few issues. The front bumper is off of a 51-52 truck. The stock bumper is smooth, not ribbed. I have the same incorrect bumper on my real truck. Also, it is a floor shift which is right for 1948 to early 1950, but the bed is a late 1950 to 1952 bed. The correct bed for a floor shift truck has a raised panel on the sides, not smooth sides, and has a steel sheet over the wooden floor. The bed is 100% correct for a late 50-52 truck, those had exposed wooden floors. There has been much debate about the changes on the 1950 trucks and which truck was the first for the changes and I seem to have one of the last early 1950 trucks built.

Edited by Travis T

The one with the yellow truck on the box I'm pretty sure has the right headers, I have three versions and need to pull them out and check. I know the one with the panel painted decals is not right.

I know this is old but the truck on the box that Revell based the kit on has a few issues. The front bumper is off of a 51-52 truck. The stock bumper is smooth, not ribbed. I have the same incorrect bumper on my real truck. Also, it is a floor shift which is right for 1948 to early 1950, but the bed is a late 1950 to 1952 bed. The correct bed for a floor shift truck has a raised panel on the sides, not smooth sides, and has a steel sheet over the wooden floor. The bed is 100% correct for a late 50-52 truck, those had exposed wooden floors. There has been much debate about the changes on the 1950 trucks and which truck was the first for the changes and I seem to have one of the last early 1950 trucks built.

Thanks Travis!

I am looking for the Ardun head engine from this kit. Which  version of the kit has the corrected Ardun head engine? I seem to recall there was an issue with an early release, maybe I am wrong about that. Which boxart to look for?

Thanks

The normal size box has the correct ardun heads but has no stock heads. Yellow Truck with five spokes on box art.  

The flat box with the Blue Truck and the Cream colored panel painted truck as Travis has said have the wrong heads.

On 10/14/2015 at 1:56 PM, Travis T said:

If I remember right, the one with the blue truck on the box can only be built stock.

Easiest way to remember:

Monogram label - Original issue, kit #2457, released in 1995, builds only a stock/factory version:

Mono50FordPUOrig.jpg.ed23c2fd9f4fb7d8860471766daa11f8.jpg

Revell-Monogram label- Stock & Custom, but contains incorrect Ardun heads:

RM50FordPUSnC.jpg.63ed984ff367c2d0d5ff832d286b66d5.jpg

Revell "TRUCKS" label- Custom with correct Ardun heads:

Rev50FordPU.jpg.dae21ef023dc3cc245ef277dcdb3148b.jpg

Edited by Casey

Easiest way to remember:

Monogram label - Stock only (original issue)

Revell-Monogram label- Stock & Custom, but with incorrect Ardun heads

Revell "TRUCKS" label- Stock & Custom with correct Ardun heads

Casey I just looked at my Revell Trucks issue hoping to find the stock heads but they are not included.So I checked another one I have it does not have them . Bummer, The arduns will be fine though. 

Casey I just looked at my Revell Trucks issue hoping to find the stock heads but they are not included.So I checked another one I have it does not have them . Bummer, The arduns will be fine though. 

Thanks for the info. I'll update above.

• 3 years later...