Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revells 50 Ford Truck..quickie Review

Ok guys here you go..Pics!! Let me apologize ahead of time for the crappyness of the pics..I was in a rush to take em..

50fordtruck4.jpg

the new ardun head..the shape is much better compaired to the old stuff..all they need is a good dechroming

50fordtruck3.jpg

the new wheels and the ardun heads

50fordtruck5.jpg

the other new tree of parts..ardun intake, headers, and new lowered suspension parts..

50fordtruck2.jpg

a very cool decal sheet

IMG_4729.jpg

50fordtruck6.jpg

and the whole shebang....there are alot of parts in this one..I really will enjoy building it eventually

50fordtruck1.jpg

and lastly we have the box art.

well thats it for the quickie review..I know I sound weird but i'm more excited about this than the 32 sedan...maybe cause we all knew what it was going to have beforehand.

Gray

so they eliminated the stock intake, heads, and exhaust from this issue? that's a shame, they were well done. i welcome the new Ardun heads, but realistically, not a lot of Arduns were made and of those i'd guess none went into pickups! i do remember the last issue of the kit and other than mold lines it was a rewarding and enjoyable kit to build. a new set of wheels is a welcome addition, as well as lowered suspension without having to cut things up!

I just got a few of these as well, I just went and checked, no stock engine option, at least not the stock heads or intake anyway. Some of the other parts could be floating around, I just took a quick peak so I could have missed the small stuff.

I was hoping they would put the stock parts back, but at least they included stock wheels, the instructions only show a large wheel cover and the custom wheels but the hub caps are in there.

At least the stock engine parts are pretty simple so the resin aftermarket should be able to take care of that.

Getting this and the '41 Chevy in the same year makes '07 a good year for me ( I ordered mine 12/29/07, I guess they really meant it when they said Late December). :lol:

I've been building one of the earlier releases of the kit and haven't had any fit issues. The way the cab goes onto the body is a little weird but it fits ok. The front fenders and the floor of the pickup bed are all one unit, with a seperate cab. Most pickups I've built the front fenders are connected to the cab.

Before I oder some of these, how large did they make the wheels on the this one? Most of the rereleased stuff 41Chev trk. 37 Ford coupe, 56Chevy 2 dr., 58 Chevy, in my opinion are just way to large, and almost no reverse in the rears. To me they look like the wheels on thoses things they call Donks. I'm probably to old school, but I don't like this trend.

Before I oder some of these, how large did they make the wheels on the this one? Most of the rereleased stuff 41Chev trk. 37 Ford coupe, 56Chevy 2 dr., 58 Chevy, in my opinion are just way to large, and almost no reverse in the rears. To me they look like the wheels on thoses things they call Donks. I'm probably to old school, but I don't like this trend.

The custom wheels are pretty big, not my style at all, but does include a set of stock size wheels you can use with a stock hub cab or a custom wheel cover. With the excpetion of the motor it can be built as a completly stock truck.

If you look at the chrome tree posted, you can see the large custom wheels, then wheel covers are kind of in the center and the small hub caps are on the far side from the wheels.

Edited by Aaronw

Do you suppose that ARDUN headed flatty will drop into Revell's '32 ford frame? I guess I'll find out soon enough... I snagged a 3W coupe for Christmas, and just ordered two '50 truck kits from Model Express just for the engines! A hoodless highboy with an ARDUN equipped mill is in my future!

Wow... Revell is really stepping up to the plate recently. Please signal your approval with your dollar-votes loud and clear so they know we appreciate their efforts!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shoot I love those rims! Maybe not for this kit, but for some g-machine, Chip Foose style cars (or trucks). This kit looks to be worth it just for the corrected Ardun heads and headers. Even those whitewalls, which are always nice to have on hand.

I've been building one of the earlier releases of the kit and haven't had any fit issues. The way the cab goes onto the body is a little weird but it fits ok. The front fenders and the floor of the pickup bed are all one unit, with a seperate cab. Most pickups I've built the front fenders are connected to the cab.

I wondered when someone was gonna make mention of the gap between the front fenders and cowling on this one. I seem to recall, from when I was researching a panel delivery for a resin conversion (which I did cast up, BTW, years ago) that there was a fairly large rubber "gasket" or welting that went between fender and cab, and have surmized that this must have been missing on the particular truck that Revell-Monogram referenced in pictures when doing their research on this truck.

Welting was used, and widely so, to provide a dust and water tight seal between separate fenders and the body shell itself on cars and trucks of the "fat fendered" era, and often times is missing on "restored" or rodded vehicles for whatever reason (only the builders know for sure why!). Welting also served to eliminate rattles and squeaks in those areas, given the relative flexibility of sheet metal fenders, along with the often oblong bolt holes in their inner flanges, put there that way for ease of adjustment.

I think, if you research '48 to '52 "Bonus Built" Ford F-series trucks, and find a clear, rear 3/4 shot of one, you will see what I am referring to.

Biscuitbuilder

Do you suppose that ARDUN headed flatty will drop into Revell's '32 ford frame? I guess I'll find out soon enough... I snagged a 3W coupe for Christmas, and just ordered two '50 truck kits from Model Express just for the engines! A hoodless highboy with an ARDUN equipped mill is in my future!

Wow... Revell is really stepping up to the plate recently. Please signal your approval with your dollar-votes loud and clear so they know we appreciate their efforts!

It should fit the Deuce with no problem, as the flathead in the '50 pickups was the 239cid unit (bored out 221cid), just a later variety of the same basic engine that appeared in 1932. Be advised though, that the Ardun heads will not fit inside the frame rails, so they won't fit inside hood side panels either, unless those are "bubbled" out quite a bit (which would make for a very tasty street rod, BTW!).

Biscuitbuilder

Also, if one does decide to build this truck "factory stock", be sure to carefully sand away the wood grain between the skid strips, as on the real trucks, from the factory, there wasn't any exposed wood.

Ford, in their pickup beds 1928-52, used a sheet metal floor OVER the oak planking, having "skid strips" stamped into that--with one inch drain holes at each front corner of the bed floor. Since very few restorers either know, or care about this detail, most of these trucks get restored with piano-finished wood planking.

Biscuitbuilder

Also, if one does decide to build this truck "factory stock", be sure to carefully sand away the wood grain between the skid strips, as on the real trucks, from the factory, there wasn't any exposed wood.

Ford, in their pickup beds 1928-52, used a sheet metal floor OVER the oak planking, having "skid strips" stamped into that--with one inch drain holes at each front corner of the bed floor. Since very few restorers either know, or care about this detail, most of these trucks get restored with piano-finished wood planking.

Biscuitbuilder

Handy to know, so the floor of the bed should be a solid color, as the skid strips are the same color as the "planking"?

• 4 years later...

Does this version of the '50 Ford include any tires to use with the steel wheels, dog dish hubcaps, and whitewall inserts which are included? All I see are the custom tires which fit the (new to this version) larger diameter 5-spoke wheels.

Edited by Casey

I picked one up with coupon at Hobby Lobby a while back-it was marked "Clearance" too,so I wound up under $10 for it. I have one o the original stock releases as well NIB (still shrink wrapped no less) that was gifted to me after the house fire last Summer...IF I can ever get arund to it,it'd be killer to buil em together,I enjoyed building a resto-mod version (complete with '67 Musatng front subframe and drivetrain,slammed stance,stock look otherwise) back when it was first released as a new kit :)

Casey I have built this kit twice and it has different tires for the steel wheels then the custom. The steel wheel tires have white wall inserts and dog dish hubs one that covers all the wheel and one hat covers the lugs.