Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acrylic Paint

I have been following Chris Chapmen on U tube and I am sold on Acrylics. I have used them in the past for details and small parts but never sprayed it.

Anyway I have 52 bottles that were over 15 years old. I had them in a box stored in the basement. I took them down and out to the garage. I removed the caps scraped off the dry paint. I found that the paint had separated and the pigment was on the bottom and a glue like substance was on the top. I made a mixer for my Dremel tool and started to stir them. What I found was after about 1.5 hrs I had 51 bottles ready to go. Only one bottle did not survive the years.

I know that because I was able to rejuvenate this paint is because it was stored in a cool place.

I would recommend storing Acrylics in a cool area. 15+ years and all is good

Now I just have to get up the nerve to spray my first body.

Just thought you might be interested!

post-13739-0-40805100-1401764517_thumb.j

post-13739-0-56620800-1401764592_thumb.j

post-13739-0-69887500-1401764650_thumb.j

Way cool of you to share this tip. Another tip I have for you is you can thin and store these paints for years as well. Dr. Cranky did a vid showing some that were thinned 4 years ago and it sprayed great. I myself got some 8 oz squeeze bottle's and fill half full with flat black and the other half with washer fluid. I now have 8oz of pre thinned paint ready to go of my most used color and I still have half a bottle unmixed for brush painting. That way I do not have to mix a batch every time I paint a frame and chassis. Thanks for posting this and go paint a body. It will be fine.

Way cool of you to share this tip. Another tip I have for you is you can thin and store these paints for years as well. Dr. Cranky did a vid showing some that were thinned 4 years ago and it sprayed great. I myself got some 8 oz squeeze bottle's and fill half full with flat black and the other half with washer fluid. I now have 8oz of pre thinned paint ready to go of my most used color and I still have half a bottle unmixed for brush painting. That way I do not have to mix a batch every time I paint a frame and chassis. Thanks for posting this and go paint a body. It will be fine.

Wow thanks for the tip. I am going to go to the dollars store and mix some up. Nice to know the shelf life is long when mixed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lawrence,

I find this topic very interesting I watched Chris Chapmens Video (thanks for the tip) he mentioned someone by the name classicplastic101 ( I have no idea who he is but he is a fine builder) and I watched a few of his videos. I think this is a great option for certain things. I have used Createx Autoair with success but have not tried any of the acrylics. I'll be curious to know how they work for you.

Skip,

Have you tried that mixer on any One Shot! I hate mixing that stuff by hand

Skip,

Have you tried that mixer on any One Shot! I hate mixing that stuff by hand. (Me too!)

Not yet, I'm sort of be worried about aeration with enamel applied by brush. Air bubbles in enamel are no fun! I'll try it the next Job though.

I've always used a pallet knife with a four inch flat blade. The Badger mixers are intended to be used with enamels, urethane, acrylic, lacquer.... Anything else you wish to mix up, primarily got it to mix up acrylics to feed the airbrush.

Good investment in my opinion, it'll probably find it's way into my kit sooner or later. Maybe later I'm set in my ways!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sold on Acrylics for many years now. There are a few tricks to getting good results and after watching his vids all you need to know is there. I use Vallejo for most of my needs but of course Tamiya and Mr Color are a big part of my paint inventory.

Once you've figured out the Barrier/Acrylic/Laquer/Enamel thing a whole new world will emerge for you.

I think you're going to dig the results.

Bob

very nice! i made mine out of an old battery powered toothbrush (took the brush and neck off to get to the drive) used a medal rod like are used in some kits for a wheel axel and a propeller of an old boat

model. works great!

Edited by charlie1961