Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is This For Real?

I'm on it. Wonder what the reserve is?

Dale

The reserve is what is mentioned in the listing. But the price is 2 - 3 million out of the ballpark, and I think this is a phony listing. A car like this would never be listed on eBay.

Edited by sjordan2

I dont thats true at all

Based on your historic responses to my posts, you never think anything I say is true at all. But obviously you don't follow the auctions. And you don't appear be able to write a complete sentence.

The most expensive Cobra racer ever sold was $5.5 million, and this one doesn't match it.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1966-shelby-cobra-427-super-snake.htm

Edited by sjordan2

This is a well-known car, the owner's name is Joe Trybulec of Bentonville, Ark. If someone was making a fake listing, current pics are easy to find, the car has gone to several Corvette shows. Probably listed it to drum up awareness and gauge interest before it winds up at one of the big auction companies. It won't bring 6.5 mil, no way.

A quick check of past R/M auction results shows one of the Grand Sport roadsters bid up around 5.5 Million, a far rarer car than this 57. Granted even if the provenance can be authenticated, it still is just a breathed on 57 Vette, not a hand built race care like any of the GS's. Those were also driven by the who's who of racing in the early 60's. Basically I don't understand the price even IF this is sale is for real.

A quick check of past R/M auction results shows one of the Grand Sport roadsters bid up around 5.5 Million, a far rarer car than this 57. Granted even if the provenance can be authenticated, it still is just a breathed on 57 Vette, not a hand built race care like any of the GS's. Those were also driven by the who's who of racing in the early 60's. Basically I don't understand the price even IF this is sale is for real.

This car was driven by Dr. Dick Thompson and Paul Goldsmith and wrenched on by Smokey Yunick. It came out of the same factory racing program that also created the Black Widow stock cars (in fact it's from the same work order as the first Black Widows). It is a significant race car, just not a $6.5 mil car. 1 mil, maybe, if restored by a world class restoration shop like Corvette Repair.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/corp-0610-chevy-corvette-racing-history/

Edited by Brett Barrow

Yes,it seems a little strange to me too. No current pictures. That much money and selling it on Ebay? I can't imagine what the Ebay seller fees would be. They've gone way up lately it seems. They're killing me for some little things I sell.

Any Corvette is out of my price range anyway..

G- Sho' 'nuff. As long as you can go 6.499999 million. I'm a little short this week. I'll catch up with you later. Promise.

The older I get the less time I have for nonsense. Just ask my poor kids. It's like those eBay auctions for run-of-the-mill $20 model cars, and they have the Buy It Now at $129.99. And there's LOTS of those auctions. What are they trying to accomplish?

Dale