Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is just ridiculous!

The real money-maker in electronic gee-whiz features is in the servicing. The more complex the cars get, the less chance anyone can service their own car, and the less chance a non-dealer mechanic can service or repair it. Thus, more dependence on the dealer for every little thing = mucho more dinero for the dealer and manufacturer.

Diabolical.

Jell, most of the dealer "mechanics" can't fix the things either. Replace whatever component the computer analysis says is broken. Still doesn't work. Charge more money to "fix" something else. Still doesn't work. Charge more money for "further diagnosis". Still doesn't work. Replace everything. Still doesn't work. Take it to a competent mechanic, who finds there's an intermittent ground problem from a loose, badly-crimped battery terminal...fix it for $35. Unfortunately, the $1500 spent at the dealer to "fix" everything previously is irretrievably down the toilet.

Progress.

Jell, most of the dealer "mechanics" can't fix the things either. Replace whatever component the computer analysis says is broken. Still doesn't work. Charge more money to "fix" something else. Still doesn't work. Charge more money for "further diagnosis". Still doesn't work. Replace everything. Still doesn't work. Take it to a competent mechanic, who finds there's an intermittent ground problem from a loose, badly-crimped battery terminal...fix it for $35. Unfortunately, the $1500 spent at the dealer to "fix" everything previously is irretrievably down the toilet.

Progress.

It IS progress, Bill. Now you have a bunch more NEW parts in your car. A few more visits to the dealer, and you'll have an almost all new car!

It IS progress, Bill. Now you have a bunch more NEW parts in your car. A few more visits to the dealer, and you'll have an almost all new car!

That's pretty funny, but in actuality, the car in question belonged to an ex I was trying to help out. I was the "competent mechanic" who uncovered the real problem, after I told her I thought she was getting screwed by the dealer. Even funnier, she got extremely angry with ME, for some odd reason, after I'd fixed all the ongoing mystery problems she'd had since BEFORE the car was out of warranty. Even though I FIXED IT, PERMANENTLY, she kept ranting at me that I was a "know it all" and that the dealer mechanics really DID know what they were doing because THEY WORKED AT THE DEALER !!

When I asked her, well then, how is it that I FIXED it and THEY just took her money and left her with intermittent problems? she stopped talking to me. Fine by me.

I hope she has a LONG term relationship with the dealer. B)

I think she'd probably LIKE fake engine noises, too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I worked at a dealership for awhile. We had a well-to-do, high-and-mighty, Phd woman who was OBVIOUSLY far better than all of us bring in her new car ~ ~ well, she'd had it for about nine months. She complained that the headlights/taillights did not work and she got a couple of tickets for driving without lights. One the night before, but the first one a couple of months earlier.

The problem? She had never turned the lights 'on.' She thought the DRLs meant the lights were always on, so she never bothered to use the light switch. Of course, it was VW's fault for designing and building a car that didn't turn its lights on for her!

I wondered about all the times she drove at night for nine months without lights . . . how many accidents she caused and missed . . . how many cops didn't bother to stop or ticket her . . .

Power cup holders, how did we ever get by without them? :wacko:

Some cars now have heated, chilled and lighted cupholders...and to think, just 20 years ago, some cars didn't even have cupholders. I am surprised it took so long for cars to have cupholders standard, since drive thrus have been around a long time...I couldn't imagine not having cupholders, as I always have a bottle of water and/or a mug or cup of coffee w/ me..

Some cars now have heated, chilled and lighted cupholders...and to think, just 20 years ago, some cars didn't even have cupholders. I am surprised it took so long for cars to have cupholders standard, since drive thrus have been around a long time...I couldn't imagine not having cupholders, as I always have a bottle of water and/or a mug or cup of coffee w/ me..

Jeez, Rob... based on reading a lot of your posts over the years, you are such a slave to technology. Do you fire up the GPS when you walk to the mailbox? :lol:

I get it... you work in the tech field. You have different expectations than most everyone else. But seriously... we need heated/cooled cupholders? Come on! :lol:

Jeez, Rob... based on reading a lot of your posts over the years, you are such a slave to technology. And I get it... you work in the tech field. You have different expectations than most everyone else. But seriously... we need heated/cooled cupholders? Come on! :lol:

I get along fine now w/ ordinary cupholders, but heated and cooled ones would definitely be nice--keep the coffee warm in winter and water cool in summer. They are are nice-to-have option, like heated and cooled seats. Saabs used to have cooled glove boxes, IIRC.

As far as the GPS, I do check Google maps when going someplace unfamiliar, but I do drive w/o using the NAV most of the time. I never leave home w/o a smartphone, and usually have a tablet and laptop close by..;)

Edited by Rob Hall

I get along fine now w/ ordinary cupholders, but heated and cooled ones would definitely be nice--keep the coffee warm in winter and water cool in summer. They are are nice-to-have option, like heated and cooled seats. Saabs used to have cooled glove boxes, IIRC.

Doesn't the styrofoam cup do a pretty good job keeping the coffee warm and the Big Gulp cold? ;)

And besides... when did we start to be incapable of driving somewhere without some sort of drink available?

Doesn't the styrofoam cup do a pretty good job keeping the coffee warm and the Big Gulp cold? ;)

And besides... when did we start to be incapable of driving somewhere without some sort of drink available?

In Arizona, never leave home without a bottle of water or two...the dry heat will get you. Not sure about styrofoam, don't think that is what Starbucks uses in their coffee cups. I do have metal coffee mugs, I used to make it at home and carry a cup w/ me when my commute was longer.

Edited by Rob Hall

In Arizona, never leave home without a bottle of water or two...the dry heat will get you.

Well, seeing as how there's either a gas station or a 7-11 on every corner, I think you'd be safe to venture out into the scary Arizona desert and be able to revive yourself pretty much any time. ^_^

But hey... you're perfectly welcome to your heated/cooled cupholders. I have no problem with them... as long as they're optional!

Please don't tell me you are one of those people who willingly pays five bucks for a cup of coffee...

Nah, $4.75 I think for a venti latte.. 3-4 times a week at most. I have 3 Starbucks within a mile or so of home, incl. 2 with drive thrus..pretty convenient, though I also get coffee from other coffee shops and make it at home and at the office (we have a fancy Italian machine at the office w/ all the bells and whistles, makes very good coffee).

Edited by Rob Hall

Nah, $4.75 I think for a venti latte.. 3-4 times a week at most. I have 3 Starbucks within a mile or so of home, incl. 2 with drive thrus..pretty convenient, though I also get coffee from other coffee shops and make it at home and at the office (we have a fancy Italian machine at the office w/ all the bells and whistles, makes very good coffee).

I'd go with McD coffee for the drive to work, the office machine once I get there. :D

I've tried Starbucks coffee, and maybe it's just me, but it was awful! I'm not talking about the fancy-schmancy drinks they sell that have all sorts of stuff in them to disguise the taste of the coffee... I'm talking about plain old cream-and-sugar coffee (the only coffee I drink). Yuck! It tasted so bitter and bad! Never again for me.

Hmmm... I've always had a cup holder since I started driving in the 70s. It sold for about a dollar at K-Mart. There's probably still one or two out in my garage. You put it on your door and a flap tucked into your inside window ledge. Only we called them beer holders back then.

Hmmm... I've always had a cup holder since I started driving in the 70s. It sold for about a dollar at K-Mart. There's probably still one or two out in my garage. You put it on your door and a flap tucked into your inside window ledge. Only we called them beer holders back then.

I remember those...I used those w/ my first couple cars which didn't have cupholders..still have one in my '87 Mustang GT IIRC...

I'd go with McD coffee for the drive to work, the office machine once I get there. :D

I've tried Starbucks coffee, and maybe it's just me, but it was awful! I'm not talking about the fancy-schmancy drinks they sell that have all sorts of stuff in them to disguise the taste of the coffee... I'm talking about plain old cream-and-sugar coffee (the only coffee I drink). Yuck! It tasted so bitter and bad! Never again for me.

It's an acquired taste, I'm sure..I've been drinking Starbucks for 20 years, never the plain coffee, though..I like their Cinnamon Dolce Latte, White Chocolate Mocha, Chai or whatever seasonal speciality they have... for plain old coffee, McDs is good.

It's an acquired taste, I'm sure..I've been drinking Starbucks for 20 years, never the plain coffee, though..I like their Cinnamon Dolce Latte, White Chocolate Mocha, Chai or whatever seasonal speciality they have... for plain old coffee, McDs is good.

I also like Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Again, not the "coffee drinks," but good old plain undisguised coffee. Very good.

I also like Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Again, not the "coffee drinks," but good old plain undisguised coffee. Very good.

Dunkin is good..alas, the one closest to home doesn't have a drive thru, so I don't go there often. But I do get a craving for their donuts once in a while.