Model Cars Magazine Forum

Havana Mini Cruise Aurora, Colorado June 14th

BigPoppa

Wow....

I don't know. When's the last time there was a decent model car show at all in Colorado, Sunday, Saturday, or any day of the week.

I'm gonna try to take your spectacularly useless comment and put a positive spin on it.

I put this together from scratch to go along with one of the biggest car cruises in the area, 4 miles and 6 lanes. 4000 cars, 10000 spectators. The cruise starts at 10 until 5. Every parking lot in the area will be jam packed with show cars and people. I figured 9-11 will give people time to come in and set up and leave or hang out without getting stuck maneuvering around everyone else. It's a people's choice so I want as much public traffic to stick their head in and see what us weird model builders do in our spare time.

At any rate, it's my first time putting this on, so silly or not, I'm hoping it goes well, and if it does, make it an annual thing and bigger and better.

When you throw your Sunday model show up in Aspen, post it up and I'll be sure to check it out.

Sorry that your comment brought out the a-hole in me. I spent a lot of time getting this organized and being dismissed as "silly" hit below the belt.

I was much too far away to attend but I hold Colpar Hobbies in high regard. They were generous in being a sponsor for one or two of our Plastic on the Prairie model contests. That must've been fifteen years ago. But because of their involvement in our show, which was half way across the country from them, I still speak well of their interest in forwarding the hobby and helping the people who love it. Thanks for doing this show this Poppa.

Is there some unwritten rule that says all model shows must be on a Sunday? Why can't a show be on Saturday? I think registration until 11 is way more then a enough time for everyone to get there. if you can't make it, you can't make it. But to come on here and complain about show time and schedule for a first time show is kind of silly. If you want a show set to your schedule step up and plan away. Mr. Diaz did a great job for the first time and I think 90 cars was a killer amount of cars. Maybe next year some people in Colorado can help with the planning and maybe come up with some different hours or day or things to do during show hours. How about instead of criticizing negatively we just recommend or suggest to help. I for one had a great time and got to see some great 1:1 cars and some cool models that you don't get to see every day. Anyhow thanks for letting me rant. And thanks again for putting on the show, can't wait for next year!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the support everyone. I had fun doing it. MRM hasn't bothered to respond so I figured he's one of those types that likes trolling around in hopes of getting a rise out of people. It's one of the reasons I don't really go to forums anymore. But I'm over it. Hopefully no one thinks I was putting down IPMS or Goodguys, both put on great shows, I was just comparing them as a measure of my success.

Edited by BigPoppa

• 2 weeks later...

I love it when people have no clue about a person to judge him and put labels.

Want a response? Here goes it.

I admire the initiative and definitely applaud the enthusiasm to take on an event that can only benefit the hobby. A great idea, very poorly executed and not that very well thought out. Yes, I know, I am not being very PC, but I call'em as I see'em. Besides, the only reason going into this response is to try to point out few things, so hopefully the great idea can be approved upon.

There is no rule when to make a contest. You can make one on a Tuesday if you want. Also you can do the registration from 4 to 8am if you want. There is common sense tho. People work, have families and don't always live next door to the event. What do I mean? My kid absolutely wanted to enter a big show. So I promised him, I'll take him. I drove almost 900 miles to the Heartland Nationals. But their registration was 'till 7pm and the show the next day. Doable and worth it. Looking forward to next year.

I understand that this could not be done in this particular case, but still, some flexability could be allowed. A lot of people live hours away from Aurora. So I need to get up with my kids at 6am (given I'm not working) so I can register on time?

Here is the funny thing. I had to drive my dad to the airport saturday morning, so I slept in Denver. After the airport I visited Aurora and I actually witnessed your contest. I also witnessed exactly what I expected. Bunch of people absolutely clueless about model building voting for whatever their 1:1 make is. I also witnessed kids, mine included, who did not care at all about models when outside were hundreds of cool real cars. Witnessed a lot more people in the Hobby shop (where your contest should have really been located, instead in that dark empty room) than at the contest. Witnessed a guy casting four votes with his family under his instructions for a model that would never even make it into the table at a big show, because it is what he would like to build in real life. Witnessed the whole three vendors in there selling hot wheels, one of which explained to me why should I pay for a set about three times what it goes for because it was a hobby shop edition some ten years ago. And I can keep going…..

I am saying these things, not because I want to put you down or trash the good you tried to do. I am writing it to point out some general mistakes that could be foreseen with simple common sense.

You need to make it at a convenient time to attract more people participating at a convenient place (bigger exposure). And mixing it with a huge outdoor show that is scattered over multiple locations in a large area is a big mistake.

I expect now people to jump on my throat and the name calling to begin. That's fine with me. It is just my honest opinion.

I hope the initiative will continue next year and I would love to see it grow.

All the best.

Edited by mrm

I for one would rather go to a show on Saturday. That way you have a whole day after to rest or get things done at home before going to work on Monday. Especially when you have to travel a distance for the show.

I have a good friend that is a Chicago "native" and has lived out in the Denver area for 40+ years. We used to build models together and he still buys and collects kits, however he says there's very little goin' on out his way as far as model car and 1:1 cars shows. He also wishes that he could enjoy some of those shows we have here in the Midwest as well as the food here in Chicagoland.

I love it when people have no clue about a person to judge him and put labels.

Fair enough, I retract the troll comment, I figured since you had the time to put the show down but not back your comment up, you were more interested in getting a rise out of people.

Want a response? Here goes it.

I admire the initiative and definitely applaud the enthusiasm to take on an event that can only benefit the hobby. A great idea, very poorly executed and not that very well thought out. Yes, I know, I am not being very PC, but I call'em as I see'em. Besides, the only reason going into this response is to try to point out few things, so hopefully the great idea can be approved upon.

There is no rule when to make a contest. You can make one on a Tuesday if you want. Also you can do the registration from 4 to 8am if you want. There is common sense tho. People work, have families and don't always live next door to the event. What do I mean? My kid absolutely wanted to enter a big show. So I promised him, I'll take him. I drove almost 900 miles to the Heartland Nationals. But their registration was 'till 7pm and the show the next day. Doable and worth it. Looking forward to next year.

I understand that this could not be done in this particular case, but still, some flexability could be allowed. A lot of people live hours away from Aurora. So I need to get up with my kids at 6am (given I'm not working) so I can register on time?

So you were willing to drive 900 miles and (I'm assuming) stay overnight to attend one of the greatest shows, but not get up a little early on a weekend to go to my little deal? OK...

Here is the funny thing. I had to drive my dad to the airport saturday morning, so I slept in Denver. After the airport I visited Aurora and I actually witnessed your contest.

Thanks for coming

I also witnessed exactly what I expected. Bunch of people absolutely clueless about model building voting for whatever their 1:1 make is.

Sounds like you were expecting an NNL or Heartland show. Did I mention this is the first show? The People's Choice award is a way to get the community involved, whether they knew jack about models or even cars. There was two classes because I didn't know what to expect for attendance. I was expecting, no, actually PRAYING for 50, got 90. BTW, here's what the those clueless people voted for. Overwhelmingly. Like, no one else was even close.

gallery_452_1186_476835.jpg

I also witnessed kids, mine included, who did not care at all about models when outside were hundreds of cool real cars.

The Mini Cruise was meant to be a pit stop, not a hang out. This wasn't some extravaganza with demos and speakers like IPMS or NNL.

Witnessed a lot more people in the Hobby shop (where your contest should have really been located, instead in that dark empty room) than at the contest.

The room was not dark, and not empty, it was actually as well lighted as when Colpar store used to be when it was there for 20 years. The decision was made to keep it out of the store because it was not a stop in the cruise. Otherwise it probably would have been there, in the dark basement. I liked it where it was at but it's up for discussion. I don't know what kind of traffic they got.

Witnessed a guy casting four votes with his family under his instructions for a model that would never even make it into the table at a big show, because it is what he would like to build in real life.

Oh, the injustice of it all! Again, the People's Choice was for fun and will be a lesser part of the show next year. I think model builders would prefer to be judged by their peers and I think my partner and I did a fair job picking the best cars.

Witnessed the whole three vendors in there selling hot wheels, one of which explained to me why should I pay for a set about three times what it goes for because it was a hobby shop edition some ten years ago.

Gosh, sorry I couldn't bring in Hobby Heaven or the Model King in to placate the masses. Did I mention this is the first show? I put the call out for vendors locally as well as in the magazines but that's what I got. They can charge whatever they want, if you're smart enough to know better, kudos to you.

And I can keep going…..

I am saying these things, not because I want to put you down or trash the good you tried to do.

Maybe I'm being thin skinned, but you are and you did. Not a single good thing pointed out...

I am writing it to point out some general mistakes that could be foreseen with simple common sense.

You need to make it at a convenient time to attract more people participating at a convenient place (bigger exposure).

I guess I set this up much like a real car show. Morning registration, afternoon awards. Time suggestions? Suggestions for a more "convenient" place? National Western Complex perhaps? Denver Coliseum? Downtown somewhere?

And mixing it with a huge outdoor show that is scattered over multiple locations in a large area is a big mistake.

So following the Goodguys Shows lead was totally irrational. Dang! And I thought a free car show along with the price of your entries was going to be a good idea.

I expect now people to jump on my throat and the name calling to begin. That's fine with me. It is just my honest opinion.

I hope the initiative will continue next year and I would love to see it grow.

All the best.

Again, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Hell, I didn't know what I was expecting. Maybe people were being nice, but all I heard was positive comments and looking forward to next year. I spent exactly 50 dollars putting this on. I did not have a big club backing me up like the other shows around the country do. My staff was myself, a buddy, and my 2 kids. The Havana Business District threw their support behind my vision. They provided the building, the copies of the flyers I had made, and Colpar provided the magazine ad cost and the awards. The entry and vendor money I collected was split with the HBD and will go toward future costs. If you can think you can do better with the resources I worked with, hit me up on facebook, I saw you there. I'm Kristofer Diaz.

This was not an NNL or Heartland style show. Those are for model builders only, like Comic Con, or a Star Trek convention. Those are a lot of fun, but I did this for the car modelers and the community. Modelers got to meet each other, check out other builders, and check out a car show. The public got to check out a car show, duck in for a little air conditioning, and check out someone else's hobby. There's a lot of room for growth and maybe things will change, who knows. I think the formula worked.

Edited by BigPoppa

Kudos to you, Kristofer. First-time events are often small and wobbly, but to have that kind of turn-out is great for a first-venue, first-time, untested event. Next year will be better and the year after than will be even better. That's the way it works in the real world.

Saturday event vs Sunday event? Purely a carp-shoot. My experience with producing, promoting, or managing a LOT of model car events is that MORE people want to keep their Sundays for private, personal, family and quite often religious pursuits. Saturday events are very well attended, even if there are some people who don't prefer them. For years, I've run multi-day (Saturday & Sunday or Friday-Saturday-Sunday) events. Sundays are always less populated than Saturdays.

Plus, there is no escaping the great fortune in aligning your event with such as large car-hobbyist-oriented event as Cruzin' Havana. It's a no-brainer. As the years tick by, more and more of the big-car enthusiasts will learn of your event and will go out of their way to look you up. Stick with it.

Peoples' Choice balloting is not a curse or a scourge. I disagree with Michael on this point. It is a terrific way of engaging the spectators in your event. I've run a couple of model car shows for GoodGuys for double-digit years. We originally critically judged everything. But as the event grew and the entries soared (in QUALITY as well as quantity), it became increasingly difficult to accomplish everything and put on a great event for the spectators/customers. When GG started a Peoples' Choice award, I noticed the spectators who picked up the ballots spent more time examining all the models than those who didn't. I decided to mimic the 1:1 judging at GoodGuys by changing from category awards to a "Top Twelve" award system and changed to all-peoples' choice balloting. The spectators spend more time enjoying the models, the builders get more attention, our event is always packed and attracts a LOT more attention than ever before, and the GoodGuys and Revell people love it! We routinely have nearly 1500 ballots cast by the spectators and entrants.

A note about that. We don't leave the ballots laying around for anyone to pick up randomly or for anyone to pick up a handful. Our team contacts everyone who comes by and personally invites them to participate. Surprisingly, more people are receptive and really plunge into the effort than you might expect. Because each ballot is personally delivered, there is no wholesale ballotbox stuffing. Even when a modeler implores four members of his family to vote for his model, the other 1496 ballots cast will even out the voting.

Yes, Michael is right about ONE thing. There are some of what he calls 'clueless' ballots cast. You can always count on a Batmobile getting a lot of votes from young boys or a pink model getting a lot of votes from young girls. Even General Lees get a lot of juvenile votes regardless of build quality. But, again, the impact is really negligible. Besides, those youngsters get a real kick out of being engaged in the hobby, even in that manner.

Some ballots get cast for less worthy models by what Michael would call the 'clueless,' simply because the voter had a 1:1, or always liked that type best, or what have you. But again, the quantity of ballots cast makes such individual ballots less likely to propel a poor model to the top. Remember, most of the spectators who cast ballots at our events are savvy 1:1 car guys and guyettes. They may not build model cars any more, but SO MANY once did. So many own a 1:1 rod or custom, and many built the 1:1 themselves. THEY ALL KNOW CARS. And the vast majority of them know WELL BUILT MODELS when they see them. You'd be surprised how many times we hear the comment, "Wow! I can't believe what these guys are doing with model kits!"

Finally, here's what sold me. After years of busting butt to put on the event, attend to builders and spectators alike, and endeavoring to ensure a great experience for everyone, I found judging was just not fun any more. It became an ordeal to overcome. I noticed the Peoples' Choice selections were generally the same models I was picking for Best of Show. So, the 'clueless' really did have a clue. The first three events I experimented with all-peoples' choice balloting, I still critically judged all the entries as well. I found the balloting from the spectators tracked pretty closely with the critically judged results, save for the occasional pink Batmobile with General Lee stickers. I also found that the more we pushed the balloting concept on the spectators, the more they eagerly participated ~ and voluntarily took on the responsibility of doing a good job. The more ballots cast, the fewer anomalies we encountered in results.

And here's the real 'Winner-Winner Chicken Dinner' to the concept. No more complaints. No 4th placers carping about not being 1st place. No also-rans bitching about not being best of show. No 'how do you figure that model was better than mine?' No more whining about biased judging or anything else. EVERYBODY LOVES IT!

So, hang in there, Kristofer. I got a lot of 'Say what?' at first, too. But we now consistently have two of the largest, best-looking, and FUN events in Arizona every year. And, EVERYBODY LOVES IT!

B)

• 4 weeks later...