Model Cars Magazine Forum

A week or two ago, I found a link in one of the postings here, leading to a site call the Model Encyclopedia. I found it to be interesting site, especially since they have several issues of model car magazines one can view from the 1960's and early 70's. I remember reading Car Model back in the day. So I've been going through all of the back issues on their site. As I'm going through August 1970's and I found the following:

post-10661-0-72080800-1402447948_thumb.j

Note the lower left section of the page. Can I assume that this is the same Tim Boyd who blogs frequently on this site? If it is? Very cool! It was fun to find this and see it. I hope it really is him. And he can tell us more about his involvement in this, and the mention of his models in other issues of Car Model magazine back in the day.

Scott Aho

Heh guys....yeah...it's me. That would have been my third big contest win (after 4th place nationwide in the 1968 Dodge/Car Model/MPC Funny Car Contest and 1st place senior/Best Detail at the 1969 Flint MPC Contest).

The two cars in the photo still exist...the '69 Charger is relatively intact after being reassembled when Car Model asked me to mail it in to compete at the 1970 MPC National Championship (it qualified with a Best of Show at the 1970 Indy Contest) and they sent it back to me in a box with no packing. Needless to say, it was in a million parts. They sure didn't get any plus points from me for that maneuver.

The 'cuda was a hurry-up build from a 1970 MPC annual kit which came out just before the contest. The bodywork eventually sunk so I built a second body from the MPC '69 Malco Mustang Gasser kit. The chassis in its original form (complete with a working "Hydra-Slide" chassis and the second body are in relatively pristine shape and there are a number of photos at my Fotki site. DSC_0511-vi.jpg

DSC_0494-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyds-124th--12/1970-mustang-funny-/1970-mustang-funny-/ (15 more pictures at this link)

JB...yeah I was a stereo/rock geek back then. My "system" was based around an Olsen AM/FMS receiver and two Utah floor speakers (for those of you not familiar with these brands...let's just say they were known for their volume, not their quality of sound...!)

When I started working at Ford in 1978 after graduating college, my first expenditure was a set of JBL4311BX studio monitors - the speakers that were supposedly used in the studios where the best rock bands mixed their albums. I still have those bad boys today, some 36 years later, in my family room downstairs. They seldom get asked to jam these days, but when the do, they still kick it out just like the day I bought them. The rest of the stereo system these days is comprised of Kenwood components.

Thanks everyone for your interest and your kind comments....and there are a few more pictures of me and my work in those old Car Model Magazines....always fun to look at them....TB

PS - just realized this model is 44 years old! Cheez Louise, where does the time go????

Edited by tim boyd

OK, after my last posting here I went back to the Model Encyclopedia site and started reading August 1971 issue of Car Model. And found another one.

post-10661-0-05162300-1402455670_thumb.j

Again, very cool to see these!

Scott Aho

P.S. On to the next issue. Who knows what I'll find.

Edited by unclescott58

Tim, it would be fun to see those old kits. No matter what shape they are in. Any chance of posting pictures? And can you tell us what other magazines you or your models appeared in at the time? And in what issues?

Scott Aho

Scott...thanks for your interest on this...here's one other that was in Car Model sometime in late 1972 or early 1973....from the '72 Washington DC MPC Contest....won Best in Show without the trailer and the matching pickup...the judges didn't read the instructions and disqualified the matching components...(just like the 1/1's back then, the judges were instructed to remove the header extensions so the car could fit on the trailer...there was even a compartment in the trailer expressly designed to hold the header extensions...but the judges 'forgot"....GRRRRR!!!!!

DSC_0437-vi.jpg

...working front suspension and steerable wheels/tie rod/drag link....

DSC_0443-vi.jpg

entirely scratchbuilt frame (from plastruct rod) and interior paneling (from .015 and .010 sheet styrene)....

DSC_0441-vi.jpg

...hard to see in there but there's a blower pop-off valve on the intake manifold with two tiny springs....and note the header braces....

DSC_0439-vi.jpg

More pix of this one... http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyds-124th--12/boyd-scale-funny-cars-/boyd-funny-cars-models/

The one in the August '71 issue of CM above won 2nd seniors at both the 1971 MPC Detroit and Dayton shows....Scott Sullivan (yeah, that one) beat me in Dayton....

TB

Edited by tim boyd

Ahhhh, the memories.

Architect, eh, Tim? Funny how life turns out.

At that point in my life, I planned a college career at General Motors Institute and a subsequent styling career . . . guess where.

Danno....this is one of those "stranger than life" stories...or as you say so correctly, funny how life turns out.

Being an architect was actually career choice #2...#1 was (surprise) being a car designer/stylist, but this was the point at which Nader his crowd were getting underway and I did not want to be designing cars that were rolling tanks (or so I thought). So I worked in an architect's office one summer during high school but I really did not like it. At that point I was disillusioned and gave up on college. After working year after high school I took some business classes at a local university. I decided to actually do all the homework and reading and see what happened. Straight A's. So I decided to go ahead and work through college. Took five years and was hired at Ford the day I graduated.

The first 20 years were marketing assignments, including three years at the healm of Ford SVT. Then I was promoted to a position that dual reported to the Group VP of Marketing and the VP of Design (J Mays). After three years, I was asked to become the Business Director of Design (sort of like a Chief of Staff job). So in 2001 I transferred to Design. I don't know of anyone else in the industry that successfully made that move (Marketing to Design).

I that position years later, I was asked to put together a strategy on a particular subject, working with several company leaders. The strategy was agreed at the top, and then I was asked to become the leader of that group. So the last five years of my career was, I wasn't designing cars, but I was globally responsible for three advanced design studios globally that were, and working on many other strategy projects involving Design, product, etc, etc.

I've often thought how blessed I was that I did not go into architecture. I am so much better off than I would have ever been as an architect, and for much of my career, worked side by side or for some of the industry's top automotive leaders and car designers. Not to mention my continued role in the model car world. Strange how life turns out, indeed.

Best regards..TIM

Edited by tim boyd

unclescott58, thanks for turning me on to Model Encyclopedia. Car Model, was my first magazine subscription. I was bummed out, when the mag went under. I remember Tim's builds, but didn't know it was him. What I do remember is Ira Dahm's articles.

unclescott58, thanks for turning me on to Model Encyclopedia. Car Model, was my first magazine subscription. I was bummed out, when the mag went under. I remember Tim's builds, but didn't know it was him. What I do remember is Ira Dahm's articles.

Your welcome Jeff. It was the only model car magazine I knew of when I was a kid. Our Junior High library carried it. So I read it for free. I do not remember Tim's builds. Although I'm sure I must have seen them. I too, also remember Ira Dahm's articles. Never tried building any of his projects though. My only complaint about Model Encyclopedia is that I wish they had a more complete set of Car Model. I'd like to see more issues from 1972 and '73.

A year or two ago, I went on eBay and bought a July 1973 issue of Car Model. That was the issue with the very cool "HO Road Aurora...The A/FX Raceway" on the cover. And more detailed info on the track inside. Boy I wanted that particular layout in the worst way! I'd still like that same slot car layout today. It did not disappoint me after not seeing it for almost 40 years.

I gone through all of the issues Car Modeler on Model Encyclopedia's web site. Now I'm working on Model Car Science on the same web site. Having never read the magazine in the past, I like what I'm seeing. But Car Model will always be the model magazine I'll have the fond memories.

Scott Aho

Edited by unclescott58

I noticed, on the masthead, of the early issues, one of the publishers is Oscar Koveleski (who I met a few years ago), owner of Auto World.

Oscar was co-publisher of Car Model magazine for quite some time, later on it was Bob MacLeod on his own.

For those of you who follow this sort of stuff (I always did), for a while in the mid-;ate 1960's Joe Oldham was edtior of Car Model. Yes, that Joe Oldham. The one that went on to author many muscle car era articles for the east coast car magazines, and then much later was edtior for Popular Mechanics for the better part of two decades during which it became a huge (in terms of circulation) heavyweight in the magazine world. He is now retired by pens a column in Hemmings Muscle Machines and wrote a cool book a couple of years back about his memories (including a bunch of street racing in NYC) of the muscle car era.

Nearly as interesting, it is my understanding (Gregg/Harry, correct me if I'm wrong) that Robert Schleicher, who authored numerous articles in Car Model and Model Car Science, is a major domo in Golden Bell Press and publisher of Model Cars magazine.

And the creator/long time publisher of Collectible Automobile magazine Frank Peiler, won first place in the Car Model/AMT/Meyers Manx Dune Buggy contest back in 1969.

As we've said above, what goes around, does indeed come around! TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Fascinating info, Tim!

You must write a history of the hobby. How great a book would that be?

I would like to second this suggestion, I feel there are not enough books about the heydays of car models and national sponsored contests.

I personally would buy it in hardback (because my book shelves don't disappear when my hard drive dies). :)

Please write the book Tim. I have been a car and truck modeler off and on since about 1958. I have all my copies of Car Model magazine as well as several of the early Auto World catalogs. I also have most of the model books written back in the day. I value them all and love to get them out and look at them again. You young guys cannot begin to realize what a valuable resource this magazine and forum is for us all. Thanks to all of you who make it possible and work so diligently to keep it going in a positive direction.

Nearly as interesting, it is my understanding (Gregg/Harry, correct me if I'm wrong) that Robert Schleicher, who authored numerous articles in Car Model and Model Car Science, is a major domo in Golden Bell Press and publisher of Model Cars magazine.

Tim, you are correct about Robert Scleicher, or Bob as he he liked to be called. I met him once a year, for many years at the Amherst Railway Society Springfield, MA train show. I used to make model train kits and decals. First time I met him, about 1989, it was about model trains. We got to talking and I said " Your name sounds familiar. I thought I saw it on an old Car Model magazine article". He said he had wriiten all those articles. He was a pretty modest guy. He said "the models probably looked better in the pictures than they really were". In any case, he was a good guy and I am glad that I got a chance to meet him..

• 3 weeks later...

OK now I've been going through issues of Model Car Science. Also on the Model Encyclopedia web site. And look what I found in the May 1970 issue of MCS.

post-10661-0-91650400-1404352384_thumb.j

Now an interesting question that maybe Tim can answer. Are not the cars below his the original Zingers? Were MPC got the idea for their Zingers?

Scott

OK now I've been going through issues of Model Car Science. Also on the Model Encyclopedia web site. And look what I found in the May 1970 issue of MCS.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Now an interesting question that maybe Tim can answer. Are not the cars below his the original Zingers? Were MPC got the idea for their Zingers?

Scott

Yes, those cars were the original Zingers, as conceptualized and modeled by Dennis (Denny) Johnson. And they were exactly where MPC got the idea for the Zingers. TIM

What ever became of Richard Carroll? He was who the Pro category was started around, at the ICMA model contests, in the early 70's. He isn't in the International Model Car Builders Museum, Hall of Fame. IMO, he's more deserving a spot, than many who are.

My only complaint about Model Encyclopedia is that I wish they had a more complete set of Car Model. I'd like to see more issues from 1972 and '73.

That site is owned by David Cura, a member of my club. He was part of the International Model Car Museum's "Scan The Past" project and those are the magazines he scanned for the effort. Once the museum never moved forward to produce the promised CDs and share all the information, he put what he had on the web site.

That site is owned by David Cura, a member of my club. He was part of the International Model Car Museum's "Scan The Past" project and those are the magazines he scanned for the effort. Once the museum never moved forward to produce the promised CDs and share all the information, he put what he had on the web site.

Tom, please make sure that Mr. Cura knows how much a lot of us appreciate how much he has done putting together that web site. Obviously I'm putting it good (??) use.

Scott