Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bartoletti Transporter and the Daytonas Coupe... Last Update 5/28

Brizio

Start to work on the engine. It is a Fiat 203, 6 cylinder diesel. 10.6 liter. It is called "Stingray", because it sit horizontal. This kind of horizontal engine were used a lot back then in the buses, because the engine was behind the front axle, and sitting horizontal will give more space for walk on top of it and for the seats. And Bartoletti a that time was pretty famous bus builder.

10391370_845382268829821_636586432512202

10665891_845382265496488_222554598963047

Edited by Brizio

Yes, because in Europe the road the road are narrow, and you need help on the turn. When Shelby bought the truck, he make add the third axle, to help carry the more weight from the Daytonas.

Indeed!

post-12614-0-50117600-1411666857.jpg

Keep up the good work, 'Brizio!

Edited by DonW

Wow, a 10.6 litre engine.

They start (Fiat) to use these engine in 1956 on trucks and buses, after the years they increase a little bit the power, to 144CV, 175CV, adding also a turbocharger. The lase engine from the 203 series had raised it to 11.5 liter, and 173CV, and it will last until the 80's, when already they started to use on buses a engine in the back.

Great build Brizio!

I wish the period transporters for 60's race cars were available in kit form, but sadly not

I was thinking to scratchbuild the Fiat Bartoletti transporter, that carry the Two Daytonas. I think it will be a cool combination. Bartoletti was famous in Italy back then for build Buses,after they change and build truck trailer. If you look a the Shelby transporter it look a bus, with the back open. Here a little bit of story about this truck. It is a 1960 Fiat - Bartoletti truck, that was commissioned from Scarab/Reventolw to carry his cars to F1 race. The team Lotus used it a couple of time after Scarab folded. In 1961,'62 and '63 was back at Bartoletti in Forli', Italy. In 1964 Shelby bought it, added a third axle for be able to put more weight on it, and repainted. In 1965, '66', '67 was used by Alan Mann (Ford) and repainted. In 1968, '69 and '70 was repainted in blue with yellow stripes, for teh John Woolfe Racing. In 1970-'71 was rented to David Piper for make the Le Mans film. From 1972 to 1979 was bought by JCB (Bam Ford) and used for historic racing and co-op with Harley Cluxton/GTC for Le Mans, at least for 1977/'78, with Renault name on it. JCB put a new transmission in it (Leyland). In 1980 the new owner Michael Shoen used it for historic racinng and put to rest. In 2006 was bought by Orosco, and in 2008 was fully restored.

1964985_813162712051777_5317821289959425

Indeed!

attachicon.gifcoach.jpg

Keep up the good work, 'Brizio!

That's one of the scenes from the original "Itallian Job". One of those movies that you just gotta watch. Used to be listed in the ten greatest chase scenes, though I'm sure that it's probably not anymore there have been a few others that have come along maybe not as plausible.

Thank you guys! :)

That's one of the scenes from the original "Itallian Job". One of those movies that you just gotta watch. Used to be listed in the ten greatest chase scenes, though I'm sure that it's probably not anymore there have been a few others that have come along maybe not as plausible.

Great movie, one of my favorite. the chase scenes are perfect for the Minis, I kind of miss those old movies with chase scene.

Amazing work,the engine looks great. I have heard this transporter was equiped with a flat12 diesel from factory? Not sure it`s true.

Fromthedo cumentation I have from the original bus, they always had a 6 cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any new updates?

I start to work on the body, the cab part was already done except interior. No too much to show, I have been busy doing some work on the house, and not too much time for build the truck. I will post a picture of the update tomorrow.