Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did this Aurora '34 Ford Coupe Double kit die in the "train wreck" too ?

I know it's not the typically favored 1/25 scale, but I thought the Revell 1/16 34 3window and Phaeton were hailed as pretty accurate models, so much so that people often wish out load that Revell would scale them down to 1/25 kits. I've got a 3window and am inching ever closer to actually building it. Still crossing my fingers that Revell gives us an all new 1/25 33/34 after they are done reviving the 29/30 A tooling mess.

As we all know, a correctly-scaled '34 3-window has never been achieved in 1/25, and would seem to me to be another slam-dunk follow-on to a decent '26 / '27, if Revell decided to do that one (logically based on the underpinnings and existing tooling of the MIA '29 / '30). Probably ought to get these old hot-rod subjects in the pipeline while the geezers who'll buy them are still alive too.

Enter the '34 market to test the waters (and minimize tooling expense) with a well-scaled '34 3-window fenderless hot-rod (stock roof height, with a traditional buggy-spring and quick-change rear end), but with the body specifically engineered to fit the existing AMT / R2 '34 5-window fenders and hood (which aren't exactly right but aren't too bad) and would allow builders to easily make up a stock version, and broaden the appeal of BOTH companies products.

Second version: same kit, but chopped.

Third version: same kit, but a stock height woody body.

Or if Revell doesn't want to do a '34 3-window, it's a natural for AMT / R2. They already have the tooling for ALL OF IT, except a body shell and interior.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

As we all know, a correctly-scaled '34 3-window has never been achieved in 1/25, and would seem to me to be another slam-dunk

I think many were miffed back in '88 when Revell released both a chopped 3- window Coupe and Phaeton kits...in 1/16 scale. Both were state of the art then, and that was a high point for Revell in terms of design an engineering, but we all know how snobby we can be regarding our preferred scales. :D I am surprised they haven't tackled a '33/'34, but maybe the demand is satisfied by the snap-together '34?

I took this on (doing a 1/25th scale 1934 Ford kit based on the earlier 1/16th scale assembly kits) point blank with Revell management (maybe ten years ago or so).  I was told that they loved the idea, but it was physically impossible to pantograph a 1/25th scale tool from a 1/16th scale kit, and the original wood masters were long, long gone.    

Having dug the kits out a few years ago to refresh my memory, I somewhat sadly noted that what was truly state of the art in 1988 is WAY out of date for today's hot rod/street rod design aesthetic.   

Anyway, I too would love to see a Revell 1933/34 kit series developed in the same vein as the current '32 series.  But personally, I'd like to see a '26/'27 T Turtledeck (and derivatives to follow) first, because the AMT/Ertl '34 Five Window is already a pretty good starting point, and as we all know, there is no styrene equivalent for a ''27 T turtledeck at this time. 

TIM

I've got two late-issue Aurora '34s in pieces, one a nearly-complete unbuilt kit:

P1120374.thumb.JPG.22a20646b24d83df8a05f

and the other a dismantled gluebomb with almost all the parts the good one is missing. I figure I have enough to build one stock and one hot rod.

Some pieces, like the door handles, are rather thick while others are delicate (the front axle especially). Still I want to build it since it reminds me of what an AMT Trophy Series '34 would have been like.

Question: How long did Aurora produce this kit? The instructions look like they were printed in the '70s. Neither one came with a correct box lid.

1963-67, according to this book...

From "Aurora Model Kits" by Thomas Graham, published in 2006:  "#569 '34 Ford Stock & Street Rod: 1963-67, 1/25, $130-150. Kit contains models of 2 '34 Fords, produced from separate molds. Stock coupe in black, chrome, clear plastic. Street Rod in metallic green, clear, chrome plastic. "Scream Puff" decals. Monogram reportedly still has the molds. Box art by R. Schulz."

Your '34 appears to be molded in black.  Maybe it was part of the "Young Model Builder's Club" program, thru Parents magazine IIRC.  The Club was still operating in the early 1970s.  YMBC kits were bagged and shipped in a special club mailing box. 

There are apparently at least three issues of this kit.  The original double kit, a very rare reissue of the double kit with the box art showing actual buildups of the models set against a scale landscape (e.g. model railroad type scenery), and the cardboard box version referenced by Mike above, which was molded in black and the stock version only (no second body or hot rod parts).   The original kit dates from 1963, the cardboard version came later. possibly in the very early 1970's.   

Author Graham's statement that Monogram still has the molds is news to me.  Never say never, but highly unlikely is my view.  

I built both versions of the kit around 1980 and covered them in my "Modeler's Corner" column in Street Rodder at the time.  Though they were in total more accurate than the AMT '34 5@ dating from 1975, I would find it hard to recommend the kit for anyone other than kit collector.   The 1/24th Monogram and 1/25th AMT-Ertl 5W Coupe are far more accurate models. 

TIM   

Edited by tim boyd

• 11 months later...

Re: The '22 T-Bucket Hot Rod. I remember reading somewhere, that the kit represents an East Coast style rod, rather than the more common West Coast style as seen in the Revell and AMT kits. Without access to a bunch of the "Little" Hot Rod mags from the early 1950's, I cannot confirm this in any way.

However, It does make sense. Aurora were East Coast based, and isolated from the trends from the West Coast. They may well have modeled the Rod after an actual car, but who will ever know after almost 60 years.

On 11/24/2017 at 8:47 AM, tim boyd said:

There are apparently at least three issues of this kit.  The original double kit, a very rare reissue of the double kit with the box art showing actual buildups of the models set against a scale landscape (e.g. model railroad type scenery), and the cardboard box version referenced by Mike above, which was molded in black and the stock version only (no second body or hot rod parts).   The original kit dates from 1963, the cardboard version came later. possibly in the very early 1970's.   

Author Graham's statement that Monogram still has the molds is news to me.  Never say never, but highly unlikely is my view.  

I built both versions of the kit around 1980 and covered them in my "Modeler's Corner" column in Street Rodder at the time.  Though they were in total more accurate than the AMT '34 5@ dating from 1975, I would find it hard to recommend the kit for anyone other than kit collector.   The 1/24th Monogram and 1/25th AMT-Ertl 5W Coupe are far more accurate models. 

TIM   

I'd love to see Revell/Monogram restore the Monogram 34. It's by far the best out there. 

Any of those Monogram Fords would b most welcome.  My dream would be to see them redone to the same level of detail as Revell's '40 and '48 Ford kits, but even done to the level of the originals would be nice.   If they reissued the '36, they should definitely include the custom grille and headlights from the last one, and look into the feasibility of a chopped top as an option.

16 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Any of those Monogram Fords would b most welcome.  My dream would be to see them redone to the same level of detail as Revell's '40 and '48 Ford kits, but even done to the level of the originals would be nice.   If they reissued the '36, they should definitely include the custom grille and headlights from the last one, and look into the feasibility of a chopped top as an option.

A new series of 1934 Fords, done similarly to the 1932 Ford Street Rods or the 1940/48 Fords tooling created over the last twenty years, has been on Revell's possible new kit list for quite some time.   But never made it quite to the top of the new tooling priority list.   Now with Revell Germany/Blitz running the show, I don't have high hopes for this ever materializing as a newly tooled kit series.   But time will tell.....TIM