Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Plymouth GTX

fitforbattle

Ugggh! That can be a bear to fix and keep straight!

Yeah, think I know what I can try first: the rest of the chassis is laying down flat, only the front right corner that "lifts". In other words it can be pressed straight against a plank or table. I'll try fixing it to something with tape and carefully heat it repeatedly with a blowdryer. Heat, let it cool, heat again and so on.

If that doesn't work I'll have to look for donor chassis.

That chassis will straiten out. The starter you get it the better but, Once all the engine compartment parts are glued to it. Then it fits the body pretty tight. That plus glueing the chassis to the interior tub should hold it in place.

Yeah, sure hope so. It is pretty flexible. Nevertheless it really bummed me out being the first part I got out of the box.

Enjoyed your lead in to the purchase of the model from a real model shop. As many Mopar fans will tell you, the GTX was a luxo muscle car of the day. The first thing I noticed on your photo of the GTX with the hood stripes is that they are incorrect for the '69 model. The '68s had a blackout area that ran between the scopes across the hood and the scopes were flat and more off a horizontal opening. The '69s ran front to back and the scopes were more upright opening on the top. The Ram Air was optional and the grills on the scopes would be painted red. Another car to look at for inspiration might be the Road Runner. This was the more hard core performance version of the same basic body style. On the chassis being warped, you cold try heating it under hot water and try bending it back into shape. I've had the same problem before and never could get the car to set flat even after mounting everything else. Most of all due it your way and please post pictures as you go.

Enjoyed your lead in to the purchase of the model from a real model shop. As many Mopar fans will tell you, the GTX was a luxo muscle car of the day. The first thing I noticed on your photo of the GTX with the hood stripes is that they are incorrect for the '69 model. The '68s had a blackout area that ran between the scopes across the hood and the scopes were flat and more off a horizontal opening. The '69s ran front to back and the scopes were more upright opening on the top. The Ram Air was optional and the grills on the scopes would be painted red. Another car to look at for inspiration might be the Road Runner. This was the more hard core performance version of the same basic body style. On the chassis being warped, you cold try heating it under hot water and try bending it back into shape. I've had the same problem before and never could get the car to set flat even after mounting everything else. Most of all due it your way and please post pictures as you go.

Noted on the stripes. Depending on body color I will do the Ram Air red grills. I like them!

I'm not a fan of the '69 stripes from front to back, If I'll do any black it will be either the incorrect '68 version from scope to scope or just the whole hood, without the space between.

Great pointers. I have never rushed into buying a kit and hardly ever built muscle cars stock hence the questions. Always planned the whole build in advance. I'm really lost in this one.

But google I will and google hard.

Pictures and you own opinions are welcome tho'. I might miss something on the big web.

There are some great sites for the older Mopars. Google will give you some good ideas and a fine start. I would recommend some Mopar fan sites like the forums at forbbodiesonly.com and the forums and selling pages on moparts.com. Good pictures and some good info on specs, colors, and the like. There can also be some attitude and other things typical of fan sites, but you might get some good info and inspiration.. Both sites are free to register.

There are some great sites for the older Mopars. Google will give you some good ideas and a fine start. I would recommend some Mopar fan sites like the forums at forbbodiesonly.com and the forums and selling pages on moparts.com. Good pictures and some good info on specs, colors, and the like. There can also be some attitude and other things typical of fan sites, but you might get some good info and inspiration.. Both sites are free to register.

Thanks a lot!

Heh, fans... I know the drill. I'm a massive sports fan myself... Barely wanna talk about sports.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

nice color! that should really pop with some clear on it.

chassis warp, I did a 50 ford pick up and the chassis/fenders were warped pretty bad, I ran it under hot water in my kitchen sink, then 'bent' it past being flat/true, then under the water again, then twist, and repeat. took a bit, but I finally got it 99% straight.

nice color! that should really pop with some clear on it.

chassis warp, I did a 50 ford pick up and the chassis/fenders were warped pretty bad, I ran it under hot water in my kitchen sink, then 'bent' it past being flat/true, then under the water again, then twist, and repeat. took a bit, but I finally got it 99% straight.

Yeah I was thinking either that or fixing it to something flat like glass and heat gently with a hair dryer.