Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Sox & Martin Pro Stock Cuda

Has anyone who is building this kit found the right color blue paint for the roof. I want to use laquer. Thanks.

MCW Automotive Finishes (www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com) offers the exact colors for Sox and Martin replicas. The colors vary depending on the model year of the racer.

For the '70 'cuda, the color translates to '68 Mopar factory code QQ1, which was otherwise known as Electric Blue Metallic for Plymouth and Bright Blue Metallic for Dodge that model year. There is no exact model paint equivalent of this color, and it is NOT the same color as 1969/1970 B5 Blue nor 1971-73 B5 Blue. Some of Tamiya's Blue Metallics would probably be an acceptable option for a shelf-only model.

Hope that helps! Regards...TIM

First step I took in filing down the fender flares is marking the engraved line for the chrome trim with a fine Micron marker. Drag cars didn't have the trim, so everything outside this line needs to go.

DSC_5195-vi.jpg

Took the bulk off with a coarse nail stick. Once all the marker was gone, I just shaped the flare with a little 400 grit wet-or-dry. I can't say exactly how long it took to do these, but I had all 4 done in the span of a WWF match (the wife's a fan... :D) Not perfect, but muuuuuch better and they're good enough for me!

DSC_5196-vi.jpg

Also filled the marker lights and side mirror notches with Bondo Professional Finishing Glaze. I luurve this stuff. Don't know how I ever got along without it!

DSC_5197-vi.jpg

The 'cuda script on the taillight panel needs to go, too. The Sox & Martin car didn't have it (they were most likely built from body-in-white base Barracudas anyway).

DSC_5198-vi.jpg

And that's the necessary body modifications!

Brett,

I used your technique for shaving down the fender flares and it worked like a charm. I've only done one so far as I am just starting this project and trying to finish up on others. So thanks for taking the time to show and post how you shaved the flares it really does make a big difference.

If you're striving for period accuracy, you'll need to source a reinforced racing bellhousing they were mandatory on manual transmissions. I haven't been able to find a good picture of what Sox ran. I got all excited when I saw the pic above then noticed the disclaimer below it :(

I have looked into this but I have only found a picture of the underside of the restored car.

The 1970 Barracuda specifications here under from the Popular Hot Rodding April 1970 article says "Shatter Shield - Lakewood Industries", and it for sure looks to be a Lakewood steel bellhousing on the restored car...if it's correct or not I don't know but I have seen pictures of Grumpy Jenkins Toy VIII 70½ Camaro with a Lakewood bellhousing.

SMspecs_zps0a44ccef.jpg

i-9_B_L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are many drag racing cars that doesn't have an alternator as it's really not needed if you can re-charge the battery between rounds wich of course can be done with the battery still in the car,...that's how we do it on our Super Comp Dragster and it works perfectly.

And if you use a magneto ignition as Sox & Martin did on their 71 'Cuda you only need power for the starter as the magneto generates it's own power for the ignition.

Edited by Force

So has anyone finished one of these yet? I have yet to see one completed and just started on mine. What others have done with the kit.

I`ll second this. I would love to see one of these built. I am not seeing these kits at Hobby Lobby yet. Are you guys?

I`ll second this. I would love to see one of these built. I am not seeing these kits at Hobby Lobby yet. Are you guys?

No,we don't have them at our Hobby Lobby. I don't expect to see them there until around xmas or early next year,they always run a few months behind on getting new releases here and sometimes we don't get them at all. I had to get mine from a LHS

Only the front seats. No rear seat

Standard front seats and where the back seat had been it was carpeted.

The Modelhaus has plated Keystone wheels from the Jo-Han kit in resin, and Competition Resins has the front tires from the Jo-Han kit in soft black resin, they are more correct than the kit tires.