Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Sox & Martin Pro Stock Cuda

And there's also a couple small sponsor stickers missing off the front fenders, Fram and Champion Spark Plugs (they could never print those in register anyway!) Also there's only the "Drag 500" part for the tires. I'm guessing these were all omitted to avoid licensing fees.

Brett...I also caught these three items and I mentioned them in my review (I noted that the Drag 500 lettering was supplied, but not the "Firestone' that goes on the opposing part of the sidewall, and like you I also suspect that licensing fees may have been a factor in that...)

Thx for noting...>TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I think I will be using the front tires and rims from the Johan 'Cuda on my build. I did have to trim the inner part of the outer rim to make the rims sit a bit more flush into the tire but it should look good. Best of all is that the tires have the "Drag 500" lettering on the side! Gotta see if I can also use the back tires....

Edited by cruz

A young kid, maybe 12-13 years old kit just bought one of these at the shop. Thought it was his dad getting it, but he took out his wallet and paid for it himself. Asked him why we was buying it he said "it looks cool". I take that as a good sign. Sucks that he took the last from our RPP shipment, I was going to buy another for a street freak build. Oh well , now I'll just have to wait for our regular shipment in a few days.

A young kid, maybe 12-13 years old kit just bought one of these at the shop. Thought it was his dad getting it, but he took out his wallet and paid for it himself. Asked him why we was buying it he said "it looks cool". I take that as a good sign. Sucks that he took the last from our RPP shipment, I was going to buy another for a street freak build. Oh well , now I'll just have to wait for our regular shipment in a few days.

Great story, Brett! TIM

I haven't picked one up yet.

is the hood scoop accurate to the actual car. ?

To me in pics it doesn't look like a sixpack scoop

Bill...the model appears to be based on a restoration of the '70 S&M 'cuda that was featured in Popular Hot Rodding magazine in '08. The scoop on that car is close to, but not exactly the same, as the '69 B Body Six Pack hood scoop.

The Revell S&M model has a hood scoop that is close to the 1/1 scale car, except that it foregoes a bit of the "tuck-in" of the hood scoop at the bottom front where it meets the hood, as a minor concession to an affordable hood scoop execution in scale.

There are prior posts in this thread that talk about the whole scoop subject in more detail, if you want additional info... TIM

thiis makes me feel good to know that there are new modeler coming up

Two different scoops in those photos..the one in the B&W photos looks like a '69 B-body six pack scoop, and the one in the color pic is taller w/ a larger opening. Also, the car in the B&W photo has body color bumpers, the car in the color photo has chrome bumpers..one can only assume they had several cars during the season?

Edited by Rob Hall

Two different scoops in those photos..the one in the B&W photos looks like a '69 B-body six pack scoop, and the one in the color pic is taller w/ a larger opening. Also, the car in the B&W photo has body color bumpers, the car in the color photo has chrome bumpers..one can only assume they had several cars during the season?

The scoop evolved over the 1970 season, as it was pro stock. As for the chrome bumper, it was used on the GT-1 car that raced in AHRA.

Jim Kampmann

The 4.89 ratio must be a typo , as that was specific to the 83/4 diff ; the Dana 60 ("Spicer") had 4.88 ratio . Then there's that aluminum case transmission ; definitely not "Stock" (although they were employed in the 1968 Dart , et al. , in a *not legal* capacity . They were painted with a mixure of black paint and metal shavings ; a magnet would easily 'catch' the metal shavings , and the colour appeared to be cast iron ;) ) .

The varied bumpers must be related to the different-albeit-similar cars that S&M campaigned ; Eliminator , Stock , Super Stock , Modified Production, Pro Stock (not necessarly all of these classes ; just mentioning them ...)

Of course , none of this --okay , most of this-- information affects a 1/25 scale kit one iota !

It dont matter too me, if the kit is close, fine, beats taking a full street stock build like a 69 Camaro, and doing the grumpy toy! Full blown scratch bild, cutting fenders up, tubbing, roll cage, , even have made lakewood traction bars, now start on the engine bay! Lol, so I look at the glass as Half full, any pro stock material is just a bonus to me, ill buy 2, 1 too keep and one too sell, toss the red decal, if you need that, then I would go back to snap tite's and build, and untill you fully spray a SnM paint job and get the blue right and the red level, its a job, because doing the little thinn blue lines with the wide stripe is somethig to brag about, lol, now doing the grill in aluimuem and flat black is time its self, but looks super when complete, I would thank Revell for putting the old gal out again if I could, I WISH they would do the Grumpy toy 70 1/2 camaro, cus again, using a full stock kit like the new green one the re-release, is a pain to do as a pro stocker! Thats a good example of what im talking, anyways, thanks for letting vent, have a good week gang

There were at least two S&M 1970 'cudas, because I've seen photos of two of them side-by-side. To my knowledge S&M only ran ARHA and NRHA Pro Stock in 1970. A Super Stock would have had a factory shaker hood.

There's really no rhyme or reason to the bumpers it seems, early season they were the elastomeric bumpers, later they went chrome, then endura bumpers reappeared. You could also see a mix of bumpers, chrome on the front, elastomeric on the back (which makes sense, IIRC the elastomeric bumpers were heavier than the chrome) At certain points in the season the car(s) had a white taillight panel, sometimes it was red. Sometimes they had the S&M trademark blue-tinted headlights, other times they were clear.

Funny that the scoop on the color cover photo is almost exactly like the scoop in the kit.

Neat article about the creation of NHRA Pro Stock in 1970 showing how the cars were still very close to their Super Stock roots. Couple of S&M pics* in there.

http://moparmax.com/features/2009/iv_3-prostock-1.html

*No, not that kind of S&M pics....

Edited by Brett Barrow

So, you bash the kit and then say it is not bad. So, what is it? Is it not enough that Revell at least did something else with a new tool to keep interest going? The kit for all intents and purposes is a stock vehicle kit, they just added some race parts to build something other than stock. For the average or novice builder, that will work just fine. For the more experienced builders, and to be honest, these kits are not really aimed at us, the rest falls on us to make them a bit more accurate. Revell is not going to mod a stock tool to make a more accurate race car that only a few foiks really know anything about.

The basics are there for a better build or just build it out the box and add it to the dust collection system. I just wish Revell would just add the parts to the original kit, like a 2 in 1, and let us do the rest, but hey, they are in the buisness of making models to make money, its the American Way!

At least be glad you got a discussion going and some very helpful info came out of it.

Funny how I started this tread making some observations and thoughts about this kit and I got reemed by a few,

and now many have been talking about issues or things maybe over looked in the kit..I find that funny.

Not to be argumentative here, but there really is not much that is missed in the kit when you compare it to the 1/1 scale restoration it was based upon (once you get past the relatively minor errors in the body itself which carry over from the prior kit), and the follow-up posts here that correctly compare the kit to the 1/1 scale prototype it was based upon, largely confirm that point of view.

Nevertheless, I do agree that it has been a most informative thread and thanks to you for starting it. And for those that did not read my full review (link in my earlier posts in this thread), the Keystone "K" on the wheel center hubs is represented in the kit, but with four individual decals on the decal sheet rather than being engraved in the wheels themselves.

TB

Edited by tim boyd

I quite literally just received the Sox & Martin Pro Stock Barra(cuda) from the gorgeous local mail courier ( it's every bit of 95 degrees and 60% humidity at this time ! ).

After quickly closing the door to my bedroom ( I have a *very* curious American Shorthair feline who's 11 years old , but acts like he's 11 months old ! ) , I carefully opened the packaging ( thank you , Model Roundup , for the excellent packaging job ! ) and shuffled the Atlanta-area newspaper stuffing around , and there it was !

A sharp #11 Exacto slisked-through the plastic seal , and in short order --and with my nosey American Shorthair crying at the door-- I was perusing the kit's contents .

The decal sheet was placed thoughtfully inside the instruction sheet ( thanks for fixing that ordeal , Revell ; my stock 'Cuda had its decal sheet under the instructions , and wedged-against the box's corner ! ) , and it's a beautiful decal sheet !

The new parts look splendid ! Kudos for casting the correct Competition Plus shifter with its companion reverse-lockout lever . The headers look nice ; the custom oil pan is a nice touch ( with a little work , an exact replica is possible ) ; the Keystone Kustoms are righteous ; the slicks are nice (except for the lack of "Firestone" nomanclature... ) ; and the hood is great !

I'm thinking of building either a Super Stock or Modified Production version ... not sure yet .

Good job , Revell !