Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone have an English Bull Terrier?

TJ, A good while ago I was an on the road salesman and had a customer who owned one of these dogs. He took it to work with him and the dog spent most of the day on the couch. The guy that worked with the dog owner said the dog was dumb as a rock. If all it did was spend most of its day on a couch I guess that would be understandable. That is the only dog of this breed that I've come across.

Personally I like them and I think it is a good choice for a nice pet. You've probably seen them but here's a couple links.

https://www.akc.org/breeds/bull_terrier/index.cfm

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bullterriers.html

Good luck!

Thanks for posting the links, Jim!

I've been around a lot of Pit Bulls, all just as gentle as you could want. The Bull Terrier, though, I've only seen on TV... Bud Light used one named "Spudz Mackenzie", and I think Target used to use one in their commercials.....

You are correct with Spuds (Spudz?) and the Target dog. LDO is right with Black Sheep Squadron too.

4996784_f260_zpsd8d537a9.jpg

I've heard they are very strong dogs for their size. Better hold the leash tight once it grows :lol: .

Are you thinking breeder/puppy or rescue animal?

Thanks, Jim.....

I'm undecided on the breeder vs rescue thing. There is a breeder here in NC. Pups come pedigree'd and registered. I would love a puppy, but a fully papered pup will run about the $1200-$2000 range.

There is also a rescue group here on the east coast. Rescuing one would be cool, and a lot cheaper, but you have to go through a LOT of red tape, and those dogs have usually been abused or neglected, so they have to be rehabilitated......

Is it possible I can do both? Rescue a pup from a breeder?

The rescue animals I have been reading about are all being fostered. They have homes that are caring for them.

The puppies, on the other hand, have nobody and will end up back in the "puppy factories" if not sold. I wouldn't need papers, so that knocks down on the price some.........

What do you guys think would be the most humane approach?

I've never owned one, but have known 2. They were much more civilized and well behaved, compared to both of my Staffies, my Pit, and my American Bully. Not near as mischievous as they look. One of the best smiles around.

I know it's a tough call, just go with your instinct. Good luck!

People frequently wish to deny dogs their DNA when they see ones they connect with in some way. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers are bred to fetch ducks. Nurturing and training can't deny them their hard wired irrepressible desire to fetch anything that moves and to be in water. Likewise Pit Bulls and Bull Terriers were developed over decades to fight. You can have the friendliest one on the block until one day something sets it off. When that happens they snap and no longer hear commands to stop and don't always respond to force. It's not their fault or yours.

If you're ready to watch for that and know how to contain it, then you may be a good fit for it. However they make frightening pets for families.

I done some reading online.... the worse I have read is that they can become a bit possessive of their human sometimes.

You are right about them being bred to fight, but once they abolished fighting in England, they started breeding them with different breeds than they did for fighting. Dalmations and such dogs (hence white being a popular color) and the fight gene may still be there, but diluted by the other, more docile dogs.....

All dogs can become possessive of their owners, given the right circumstances or wrong, depending on how you look at it. I've seen many lap dogs lunge at children and adults, because they thought they were protecting their owner. It's all how the dog is raised, most of these pets are not corrected, and are spoiled rotten. Sometimes it hurts to correct a dog, but not nearly as much as it would if you'd have to put 'em down for biting someone. Labs are getting more press for being aggressive. Are they bad? No, just bad owners. Most of these people are not dog people, dogs are more of a possession to these folk. Would you leave your 3 year old unattended in the yard? They do! Be proactive, let this pup be an ambassador. Haters will hate.

I don't know if it's possible to rescue a dog from a breeder unless they are abusing the animals. Rescuing from a puppy mill might be an option but in both cases I'd be very wary. They would need checked over really well, physically and any emotional issues.

If you are looking for a puppy, you may be able to find a breeder who has a large litter as I would think they might lower the price just to home them. Even waiting a few weeks longer when the puppies are ready.

It's too bad there are so many hoops/and red tape to go through to rescue an animal. My best friend right now is a cat. I plan to get a dog when I know I will have the time to devote to it. Right now I work too many long hours. When I look for a dog I will search the animal shelters in my surrounding area. I will even give them my 2 breed list so they could call me before they call a breed specific rescue organization.

I have never owned one, but have a little experience with them. They are extremely energetic and unbelievably strong for their size. They will absolutely need regular exercise, at least in their younger years. If you aren't prepared to walk them or play with them at least once a day, forget about it. If they get neglected, attention and exercise wise, they can become destructive (like any dog). They are awesome dogs though.Great companions. I have a bad habit of rough housing with my dogs. A Bull Terrier would be a good dog to wrestle around with, they are very stout.

It's nice you are considering giving her another chance. An important thing to me seems that whenever she would have her back to you it doesn't matter what you say or how loud you say it. Hand signals will be your communication. If she gets off leash and runs from you, well, I'm sure you have thought of this.

My ex girlfriend has a dog and within 10 minutes I had it "sitting pretty" and begging. I also gave her a hand signal for the same command and she learned it quickly too. She is not deaf, I just wanted to see if she would "listen" to hand signals, dogs will.

It takes a special person to choose an animal that has special needs.

She will be more work than a dog that can hear. Make sure that you know for sure. Try to think of as many situations as you can and how you would deal with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the interest, Jim......

I think I have almost exhausted my search options. I'm on Craigslist every day, and have actually found a few Bull Terriers on there, but they are usually in another state. Tried Petfinder, and a few rescue sites, but no luck.......

Leave it to me to want something obscure and different..... :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. If it isn't something obscure and different I want, I end up being a day late and a dollar short :lol: .

I'd suggest to bide your time. The right dog may be just around the corner. It might help to place a "wanted" ad on craigslist. You may have to deal with a few craigs loonies but it could pay off. Also, going to animal shelters and leaving your name and phone number with the specific breed may turn one up.

I wish you success and I'll keep my eye on this post for any updates.