Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone have an English Bull Terrier?

I believe they are in the northern VA, DC area, Jim. I'm in southeast NC......

It's almost like adopting a child, though, dealing with these folks! They want you to do a "meet & greet" with the dog at it's current home, then they bring the dog to your house to "evaluate" how you live and how the dog would be living. Then there is the red tape, adoption forms and such......

I don't mind an adoption fee, and the people are doing a good thing for the bullies (check out Smedley's before and after pics)... I guess if you end up with a new best friend, it might be worth the hassle, huh?

I, too, don't care for the hoops that they want you to jump through. I guess they feel it is in the dogs best interest but it seems to be too much hassle to be worth it to me.

If it was closer to you it may be different. A while back I found a dog at an online rescue shelter that I liked. Their ad said they were looking for someone to just come spend time with it (walks, etc.). Being it was pretty close to where I lived I emailed them that I would be willing to do that. I never received a reply. I can only guess that they found someone else or somebody either adopted it or they found someone to take it in til it was placed. I figured by volunteering to do that the rescue people would have ample opportunity to evaluate me.

• 2 years later...

So, I've decided this year I'm going to get my Bully............ I've been following BRBTC still and they have what I feel would be the perfect dog for me! His name is Beto, you can read his bio here.........

http://www.brbtc.com/beto.html

I have planned out what all I'll need to get to keep him healthy and happy, all of which I'll have before I apply to adopt him....... If they still have him when their fee is saved, and they approve me to have him. Fingers Crossed!  :D

Cool breed, I've liked them since seeing Spuds in the Bud commercials.  We are on our third English Bulldog, rightfully known as "the Clown of the Canine World".  Like your Bull Terrier, many people misinterpreted their stubbornness for stupidity.  Not so, we've had bullies that sit and you can literally see the wheels turning in their head as they figure it out.  Normally it's the easiest, least energetic method but they'll git'er done!  Not sure about your brand of bullie, but English Bulldogs because they are so stubborn they tend to obsess about things, sometimes it is something pretty goofy like not wanting to step over something, or just waking the whole house up because they don't like the sound of the neighbors kid's fart can muffler on his ratty Honda!  

From what I hear nearly all bullie breeds are chewers, read that power chewers, our male stripped a tennis ball of all its fuzz, set that aside then chewed up and ate the rubber ball part, first trip to the emergency vet!  Everyone could just imagine a large chunk of tennis ball turning sideways having to go in and unclog plumbing!  They ended um making him puke, the vet told us he was very thorough in chewing the whole ball, there was nothing larger than a quarter of an inch!  So make absolutely sure that any toy that you give them is "Power Chewer Rated", Kong and a few others like that work well for them, anything light and hollow lasts about five minutes!  Make sure that you inspect toys frequently for chunks that could get swallowed.

As someone said already, unless you teach a bully breed to relax on a leash they will tug your arm half off.  Bully breeds also have a high pain tolerance, probably a carryover from their fighting days, so often when a bully gets hurt they're not going to let you know like a wimpier breed would.  Our first girl blew out her ACL playing ball, she never even limped the only reason we found out was her knee was swollen!  They are tough compact balls of pure muscle, even the English Bulldog, with their loose skin when they walk you can just see the muscle ripple beneath.

I had Boxers before getting my first English Bulldog, thinking that the Boxers were higher energy than I wanted to deal with. I thought that the English Bulldog was a couch tater, well they can be.  You don't want them to be otherwise you'll end up with a dog that's so out of shape. That it cannot even go for a walk around the block.  Health issues tend to show up on couch potatoe dogs too.  They need a walk every day.  It takes an English Bully about 2-1/2 years to start transitioning to adult behavior.  Their whole life they are mischievous, especially when they want your attention or they think no one is paying enough attention!  If you train and socialize any bully breed right, then everyone who comes to visit will visit them before you!!

Why would you want one of these breed of dogs?

Seems they're kind of a dud in the dog world, but a good basis for a brutal animal.

I've seen these types of dogs that really seemed to be dumb as poop, others that are in the news occasionally.

I think for families in a mostly cultural environment, other dogs may be better suited.

Didn't General Patton have one of those?  Or was it only in the film?

Why would you want one of these breed of dogs?

Seems they're kind of a dud in the dog world, but a good basis for a brutal animal.

I've seen these types of dogs that really seemed to be dumb as poop, others that are in the news occasionally.

I think for families in a mostly cultural environment, other dogs may be better suited.

Didn't General Patton have one of those?  Or was it only in the film?

For the same reason there are different cars and colors available for the cars. One size does not fit all. Different people have different tastes and different reasons for owning dogs. What are your thoughts on a breed like Chihuahua. In my experience, they are the meanest dogs on the planet. 3 of the 4 I have been around would have killed me if they could. Most folks would say they would be a great family pet....not me. I have been around one English Bull Terrier and she was a sweetheart. I have been around about a dozen different "Pit Bulls" and none of them was ever aggressive toward me. All they ever wanted was a belly rub or their ears scratched. Occasionally you get a hardheaded dog but in most cases the dog is a reflection of it's owner and training.

I believe for a time (maybe in the 30's or 40's) the English Bull Terrier was one of the most popular dog breeds.

10thumbs, you should google "funny bull terrier" and look at some pics and videos! They are hilarious..... Really good dogs that can be made to be friendly with just about anyone.

Look at this pic and tell me it doesn't raise a smile of your own..........

silly_bully.thumb.jpg.989a0b94da4b5dc2f3

General Patton had a Bull Terrier named Willie, He was deaf........ Juneau, Alaska has a Bully statue of a dog named Patsy Ann, who used to greet the Ships as they came into port back in the 1920s....

Still doesn't answer why a family man would want such a dog.  Actually, why anyone would freely choose to have such a dog in his family.  They are dumb as poop.  Breed these with other similar dog species they become ridiculous killer machines.  Still, they are dumb as poop. 

I have a distinct feeling this breed only deems as a donor for unsuccessful mutations, these benefiting certain folks that are not the regular types.  Criminal elements and such.

Fact for me is, they may be trained to do this and that, perhaps even friendly towards one's own family.  They should be trained though for this exercise.  Who goes through this ordeal?  Do you have dog training experience? 

Lots of other dog breeds have an inbred love and protection for family members.  They protect their own and protect our families.  Some breeds though have  questionable interests. 

Just asking.

Stop trolling me!  :lol:

Nah, Just kidding, Friend.......All dogs are beasts, that's the truth to it. If you raise one right though, You'll have no problems with them..... ;)

As said earlier in this thread, I should let this dog be an ambassador of the breed, and show anyone that questions them how good of a dog they can be.............

lol.

There you have it!

Gotta give some love to an English Bulldog.

I used to have a machine repair mechanic who drove around in a van, the back of the van being full of tools and things.  The front passenger seat though was occupied by a big Rottweiler.  The dog would sit on his butt completely, and hang the right arm out of the window, legs stretched straight out and pointing to the dash, hilarious.  The mechanic had no worries of being robbed.

Edited by 10thumbs

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm excited! I made contact with a Bully rescue in South Carolina called "Recycla-Bull Terrier Rescue"..... She was very nice and knew the breed, but they didn't think that a puppy would be in my best interest. She described the Bully puppy as "Hell on wheels".......... probably too much dog for an apartment. She was more than willing to talk to me about an adult dog, though, so I must have come across as a sincere person. It's still a couple months out, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can match me with the perfect Bull Terrier, where we will fit each others lifestyle..........^_^

• 1 month later...

Well Guys, it looks like I may be on the home stretch to getting my dog! I had a home interview today which went very well. The lady who did the interview said that the dog they have in mind for me would be the perfect match...... She's a 5-6 year old brindle Bully named Callie. Beautiful awesome dog! I just hope the rest of the adoption process goes as smoothly as it has so far........

Hopefully the next update will be with pics of my pooch..... :D

Very cool. I miss having a dog. I love my cat and would miss him greatly if he went away, but I really miss having a dog too. I've always had a German Shepherd or a Labrador, but my sister had gotten an american pitbull as a puppy a little over a year ago, and now he's a big lapdog baby so full of energy and always wanting to play or cuddle. And he's not small anymore, but it's hard to say no to a big puppy that wants to close to you.

Great news for you!

Also, I'd like to thank Michael about the heads up;

... What are your thoughts on a breed like Chihuahua. In my experience, they are the meanest dogs on the planet. 3 of the 4 I have been around would have killed me if they could. Most folks would say they would be a great family pet....not me.

I agree!

I've had most of my adult life Dachshunds.  A favorite in Germany.  The weenie dogs.  Let me say these little dogs are plain tough, and can get really nasty towards weaker dogs.  They hate easily, but were very protective of their own and their families.

Agreed, let the terrier be an easy animal.

I envy your joy upon a new adoption.  I've seen too many go and will never want to have this pain again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Michael! I'm a little upset with the rescue that I got her from, tho....... They could have delivered her in a little better condition. She had green running out both eyes, and her claws are so long it is painful for her to walk..... We'll get her right, tho............. :)