Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mpc 87 88 mustang gt

ERIK88

I had the 1987 annual when it was new (Spring 1987) . The only complaints I had about it at the time :

- Chrome headlamps ( disappointing , but workable )

- Moulded-in tail lamps (really tedious to paint , even for my rock-steady 17 year old hands )

- B.F. Goodrich tyres ( completely incorrect for a then-new Mustang GT !! But , that's what MPC was using at that time *sigh* )

- Moulded-in-red

I paid little attention to its other alleged maladies at the time ( upholstery pattern , etc. ) , as I was more interested in the car as a subject ; that 1987 cosmetic redesign was outstanding for its time !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here is the MPC kit which I converted to a '90 to replicate my first car. I agree with 1972coronet on the down falls, the intake manifold looked very small in the engine compartment. I replaced it with the intake from the revell '92 mustang convert, and also used the mass aiflow sensor. Added a sunroof, airbag steering wheel, replaced the C4 auto with a T5 5 speed and shifter, and swapped out the tires. I was very happy with the results.

100_zpsac589316.jpg

082_zps1288f559.jpg

063_zps2d4ee815.jpg

1. 031_zps68e998f5.jpg

018_zps3cf8b761.jpg

072_zps6f4ce193.jpg

the only real downfall i say was the fuel tank on the chassis the fuel tank more or less resembled the previous mustang II chassis and fuel tanks

Right now i modified a gas tank by chopping the sides off 2 and glueing them together and fabricating a spare tire well looks way better that way! other than that with lots of paitence they can be made quite nice there are also clear taillamps to make "lx" perhaps versions by removing the cheesegrader taillamps (very tedious to do) I have almost every issued version of the kit via amt and mpc ERIK

• 4 months later...

the only real downfall i say was the fuel tank on the chassis the fuel tank more or less resembled the previous mustang II chassis and fuel tanks

Right now i modified a gas tank by chopping the sides off 2 and glueing them together and fabricating a spare tire well looks way better that way! other than that with lots of paitence they can be made quite nice there are also clear taillamps to make "lx" perhaps versions by removing the cheesegrader taillamps (very tedious to do) I have almost every issued version of the kit via amt and mpc ERIK

The 79-80 Fox Mustangs had a smaller fuel tank that was offset to the side like the one the MPC kit has. The 81s got the full-width 15.4 gallon tank, and MPC never updated the chassis to reflect it.

• 5 years later...
28 minutes ago, Casey said:

Just an FYI, the ex-MPC 1/25 '88 Mustang GT kit is scheduled for reissue this year:

AMT-1216 1/25 1988 Ford Mustang Car

Cool. I might get one for nostalgia. I bought that kit new when I was 9. I remember painting it with some really hot aerosol that was on discount. You could grate cheese on that paintjob lol

On 8/8/2014 at 4:58 AM, Bob Ellis said:

Whatever people say negative about that kit, you have proved them wrong. It looks great.

It's a great build, no doubt about that, but it also shows like sour thumb that the facia is incorrect too much of an angle, the Monogram 1/24th scale kit suffers from the same problem. 

Time for Revell to tool up a new one based on their coup!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I'm down for one of these. I need to drag out the older issue I've got and the Revell 90 and see if the Revell headlights fit the MPC kit. 

The chrome plated headlights are the biggest downfall if this kit, and something which is not clearly evident to the unsuspecting consumer when viewing the box art. Don't get me wrong, the new box art is light years ahead of the last go 'round (pictured below), but at least the previous box art showed you exactly what you were getting.

88gt.jpg.85460665601d30b6b3e1db31f85d5a34.jpg

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The chrome plated headlights are the biggest downfall if this kit, and something which is not clearly evident to the unsuspecting consumer when viewing the box art. Don't get me wrong, the new box art is light years ahead of the last go 'round (pictured below), but at least the previous box art showed you exactly what you were getting.

88gt.jpg.85460665601d30b6b3e1db31f85d5a34.jpg

Yep, that's the issue I've got now. Someone said the angle of the front fascia is incorrect so it will be interesting to see if the Revell parts interchange.