Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bob Downie's 2015 'Stang

Is this really the appropriate place to post that?

Probably not, but I'm not promoting the "other" magazine, just Bob's cool 'Stang. This( Model Cars) is the best mag AND forum! Ain't no lie there!

Seems to me that asking about who's read an article in the latest issue of SA is a bit out of place on the Model Cars magazine forum.

I'm not going to tell you you can't post that, because we don't operate that way here. But I will say it seems to be a little disrespectful to Gregg.

Try posting a rave about an article you saw in the latest MCM over on their site and see how long it stays up.

I didn't think it was disrespectful...I've been " hanging" with him way back when he took over Plastic Fanatic. I've gotten a mention of Model Cars in print in Amazing Figure Modeler magazine several years ago! I had asked 'em if they would put out mags at least bimonthly like SA, or up to 9 like MCM. I'm sorry if my post was cruddy, you can remove it if ya want, I'm not gonna mention sa anymore, no biggy. :-)

To me all I see is someone trying to spread the word of a cool build by a renowned modeler in our community, he's even a member of this forum as well. If you really want to let the name of a magazine stop you from seeing quality work then feel free to be binded in place by a silly rule. I honestly don't care which mag puts out the article, if it interests me I will get it. I get my model mags because of the people who made the models, not the people who made the mag. Also here's a picture of his stunning Mustang mentioned above. I'd love to have those wheels for mine when I find one.

10352600_10202255533689811_6470878766513

If you really want to let the name of a magazine stop you from seeing quality work then feel free to be binded in place by a silly rule.

There is no "silly rule." There's no rule at all about mentioning SA here. And the Mustang model is terrific. And Bob Downie is a very talented modeler.

None of that is the point.

The point is, the appropriate place to congratulate Bob, or comment about his model that appears in the latest issue of SA, would be on the SA forum.

Is that really so hard to understand?

The point is, the appropriate place to congratulate Bob, or comment about his model that appears in the latest issue of SA, would be on the SA forum.

Is that really so hard to understand?

Me and many others don't have accounts on the SA forum, what about us? Is it this hard to say "Hey this guy deserves some credit because he built a really cool model" without someone getting bent out of shape? :huh:

Me and many others don't have accounts on the SA forum, what about us? Is it this hard to say "Hey this guy deserves some credit because he built a really cool model" without someone getting bent out of shape? :huh:

Obviously you just don't get it.

Ok, here's an example. Suppose you want into restaurant "A" and went table to table telling everyone how great a meal you had across the street, at restaurant "B."

There's nothing wrong with restaurant "B." It might be a terrific restaurant. But you don't go to restaurant "A" and talk up the competition. The owners of restaurant "A" might not be too thrilled with you going into their place and telling everyone how good the food is at restaurant "B."

Now do you get it?

Ok, here's an example. Suppose you want into restaurant "A" and went table to table telling everyone how great a meal you had across the street, at restaurant "B."

There's nothing wrong with restaurant "B." It might be a terrific restaurant. But you don't go to restaurant "A" and talk up the competition. The owners of restaurant "A" might not be too thrilled with you going into their place and telling everyone how good the food is at restaurant "B."

Now do you get it?

In the most respectful way I can try to muster,your not getting it. Derrick never once said "Hey SA's great check them out!" he only mentioned as if to cite it for the pictures, much like how many papers cite other articles. He is not pushing us towards them, he is just informing us.

"Has anyone else read the article in the August issue of Scale Auto?Bob's 2015 'Stang is so free king cool !!!!!"

At no point did he push it, he just mentioned it. Imagine him saying something like "Bob Downie built a sweet 2015 Mustang" It's great but is extremely vague and leaves many people clueless as to where they can find more info on it. Maybe if you didn't take everything as a threat you wouldn't have posted in such a haste, not allowing you to properly analyze the OP forcing you into the position where you have to stick to your guns to retain respect. I like you Harry, your a nice guy, but sometimes you jump to conclusions too fast.

"Well, the rules don't say you can't do "X", but I don't like it when you do so I am going to say something about it."

That is what it seems is happening to me.

Russ

btw, I am on several real car forums for specific cars, and none of the ones I am on get upset if you talk about other cars in the "general discussion"forums. Which I think is a valid comparison. Now if you are talking about a Vette in a how to repair Mustangs discussion all bets are off.

and I have even been a moderator on one.

Edited by russosborne

If I may I would like to suggest that Derrick should have been told in a PM that perhaps his post was not the best idea. I am sure Derrick meant no disrespect to anyone and to "scold" him here just feels wrong. Just one guys opinion.

Congrats Bob! It was great to see in person. And amazing how much a turn around you made it from Revell's very simplified kit.

Now do you get it?

No. Not at all. The owner has the right to not like it all they want. That really doesn't mean jack in the real world that we live in. It has nothing to do with either place. His post was about the builder's model. I would still goto both places just like I buy both magazines. One does not affect the other.

Edited by blubaja

I saw Bob's '15 Mustang at NNL East and was very impressed. A great looking model car and the reason I'll be picking up the new Revell Snap kit soon.

As to the magazine thing, I can see both sides of it. OP wasn't meant to ding MCM, but common courtesy going forward would be to avoid promoting the competition on here. :)

As to the magazine thing, I can see both sides of it. OP wasn't meant to ding MCM, but common courtesy going forward would be to avoid promoting the competition on here. :)

Exactly! That's all I ever said.

Bob's model is beautiful. There's no controversy there, it's spectacular. But like I said in the beginning, this is not about Bob or his model. The appropriate place to comment on a model featured in SA would be on the SA forum. Even Bob himself said he was surprised to see posts on this forum regarding his model that is featured in SA.

It would have been a different story if Bob had posted photos of his model here, but he didn't.

And the reason that I didn't send a PM, but made a public comment, is because I wanted everyone to get the message, not just the OP. It's just common courtesy to not plug the competition here. That's not a commentary or a judgement on the competition... it's just not cool to plug MCM's competition here, on the MCM forum that is paid for by Gregg and provided to you guys for free.