Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I fix a warped body? Frustrated and bummed in Indiana

I've been away from model building for about 25 years. I think this is the fifth model that I've attempted. I have so much to learn.

Helping my daughter with a 4-H entry. We picked the Minicraft 1931 Model A truck in 1/16th. We thought it would be interesting.

This Minicraft might qualify for the "Worst Model Ever" award.

The cab is warped. Actually, I think that every part in the kit is warped.

How on earth am I going to fix the warped cab?

The part is actually the back of the cab, the roof of the cab, and the front support pillars.

Kits are supposed to be fun. This kit is depressing. If I had $60 to blow, I'd junk this one and buy the new Foose Camaro.

This is pretty easy.

Take a small sauce-pan and heat the water to just over luke-warm. Place the part in the water for a minute or two, until it's pliable, and then hold it on a flat surface until it cools.

I'd recommend a small block of wood with a couple of clamps to hold it in place tightly and flat until it dries and cool. I'd use either the ratcheting mini-clamps or spring-loaded c-clamps with a small piece of wood or plastic between the jaw and the part to prevent damage.

Charlie Larkin