Model Cars Magazine Forum

Digital version of model cars magazine

Digital is great for a lot of reasons. the point is, don't obsolete the print version or you will lose most of your (paid) readers.

or at least put it on MagCloud, that's really the revolutionary publishing and delivery concept going on right now. supports both the printing and distribution arms of a magazine.

and put your darn subscription issues into plastic bags for gosh sakes.

jb

Digital is great for a lot of reasons. the point is, don't obsolete the print version or you will lose most of your (paid) readers.

I don't think anyone was advocating digital only, but having both a print and digital version like most magazines offer today..

I don't care what a bagging machine costs; I care about the condition my issue arrives in. its the cost of doing business Harry.

but that problem was solved on a micro basis...I no longer subscribe but instead order back issues in a batch. then they come well packaged, but its expensive and not timely but there is nothing time sensitive about a magazine if you ask me.

ps: plenty of people have advocated digital only and once digital is an option it becomes a very tempting option to just publish digitally because it cuts costs for production and distribution to near nothing. and from the responses consistently received from those in a position of power, as exemplified above re: bagging the magazine for delivery, digital only would be an immediate and probably irresistible option. magcloud solves that problem by implementing printing and delivery on demand and/or digital availability.

jb

I don't care what a bagging machine costs; I care about the condition my issue arrives in. its the cost of doing business Harry.

but that problem was solved on a micro basis...I no longer subscribe but instead order back issues in a batch. then they come well packaged, but its expensive and not timely but there is nothing time sensitive about a magazine if you ask me.

ps: plenty of people have advocated digital only and once digital is an option it becomes a very tempting option to just publish digitally because it cuts costs for production and distribution to near nothing. and from the responses consistently received from those in a position of power, as exemplified above re: bagging the magazine for delivery, digital only would be an immediate and probably irresistible option. magcloud solves that problem by implementing printing and delivery on demand and/or digital availability.

jb

I'm with you on digital. If it was up to me we'd have had a digital version long ago... if for no other reason than to get a lot more overseas subscribers. We have only a handful because an overseas subscription is so expensive. Digital would solve that immediately.

The ironic thing is that the magazine is created in digital form.... that's how it exists until it's converted to paper form. So the reality is, we already have a digital version. It's just not sold that way, and I don't know why.

Paper magazine: Create the magazine digitally... send digital files to printer... create paper version by laying ink on paper sheets... cut the paper sheets to size... collate, fold, and staple the pages together... address each magazine... sort them into bundles by zip code... transfer them to the post office... post office transports them to sorting centers... then to local post office... then each is hand delivered to each subscriber's address.

Digital magazine: Create magazine digitally. Send magazine electronically to subscriber.

Im in the UK and I can tell you now I would sign up straight away if Model Cars mag ever goes digital. Ive read the sample issue to death !!, I already subscribe to the "other" mag digitally through Zinio as its by far the cheapest way to get it over here.

Plus reading Harry's description of the actual process of making the mag...its a no brainer, its already there in digital format ??