Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prepping windshields/ Tamiya 'Smoke' transparent lacquer

This is really a two part question; What do people do (if anything) to prep their windshields before installation? I know some people use auto polish stuff for this and their windshields look amazing. The second part of the question is, I'm going to use Tamiya's transparent 'Smoke' to tint a windshield, can I use the auto polish method to prep the windshield 'before' I apply the tint? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck using the TS-71 for window tinting. Unless you want "limo tint" or darker that is. I've used it several times and in order for it to smooth out and not look splotchy you have to put a certain amount on. That amount varies on how thin the coats you use to build it up. I think it looks more like "transparent black".

If you don't want the tint to be too dark I suggest using the acrylic Smoke. It is lighter, and while it too needs to be built up to a certain degree as well, I find it works better for most of my tinting needs. Of course you'll need to airbrush it...

Good luck using the TS-71 for window tinting. Unless you want "limo tint" or darker that is. I've used it several times and in order for it to smooth out and not look splotchy you have to put a certain amount on. That amount varies on how thin the coats you use to build it up. I think it looks more like "transparent black".

If you don't want the tint to be too dark I suggest using the acrylic Smoke. It is lighter, and while it too needs to be built up to a certain degree as well, I find it works better for most of my tinting needs. Of course you'll need to airbrush it...

BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, I don't have an air brush! So, how does Tamiya intend for this to be used? Over a base coat?

Tulio and some other people use what would be more of a 'polish' than a wax Carl, something with a little grit to take the scratches and imperfections out of the plastic, and , his windshields always look 1:1 I've never done it so I'll experiment with some parts box windshields, which I have. And then I'll spray the plastic and see what happens, hope it doesn't go 'limo' on me, but , at least I'll know.

Thanks for all the great tips and suggestions you guys, ya gotta love this hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee, all I said was carp (re-arrange) and they BLAHED it, lol.

Edited by Speedfreak

All though the acrylic smoke and transparents from Tamiya "needs" to be shot through an airbrush, I've had great results brushing it on with a brush, specifically one of those brushes with thick bristles meant for kids watercolors. Super stiff stuff.

I have to say tho, I've only used the brushes on headlight and rear light lenses, in 1:24 and 1:10. in other words no bigger areas. The brushes has always been as wide as the parts painted. You could try this on a spare part.

Paint I'm referring to is the Tamiya X-# (smoke, transparent).

Another point to consider with any tinting of clear parts is scratches. If they are not just very minor and superficial there is a good chance the tint will collect in them and amplify them.

As mentioned, don't use wax, only polish. I like Meguiar's mag polish for this.

RE: Blah,blah,blah, B) I'd still suggest investing in an airbrush. It'll pay off very quickly in paint cost saving and abilities to build better. For the cost of a handful of Tamiya TS cans a decent airbrush can be purchased, and I get a lot more control and paint mileage by spraying my TS paints through an airbrush. Plus I can paint any brand and color.

• 9 years later...

I have had a lot of luck with applying it directly from the bottle to the glass with a brush. No thinner added. I do this with light coats and allowing it to dry overnight. It tends to run, so what I have learned, and this can be tedious, is that of you continue to rotate the windshield while the paint is setting, it won't run down to one end of the windshield. Again, it's tedious but it works. And it's self leveling so it will smooth itself out of you have stroke lines. Repeat these steps until you have the desired look. Be patient with it and it will look amazing.

I have only used the spray cans, but the only drawback is getting a smooth color blend from dark to light. I mask the outside of the window and mask off the bottom edge that I want on the inside. One or two light coats seem to look the best. This one was done in Clear Blue because of the blue body color. I have done another in Spray Smoke as well. 

IMG_1878 (2).jpg

IMG_1749 (2).jpg

Anybody know if Testors still makes this particular paint?

spacer.png

I still have a couple of cans of this, and it's one of the few Testors paints that I swear by, although I don't use it often.

Just spray a light coat onto the inside of the glass and your done.

Unfortunately, my guess is that it's no longer produced as the Model Master line is now defunct.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 2