Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished! 1974 Chevy C-10- A replica of my my Grandpa's old truck

Hey guys! I'm starting a new project for my Grandpa for his 85th birthday this August. It will be building his 1974 Chevy C-10 Pickup. I will be using the Revell 1978 GMC kit for the project. The suspension used will be from a Monogram NASCAR kit (Pap's truck was 2 wheel drive, not 4).The engine/transmission were from Monogram's 37 Ford street rod(his truck was an automatic). The wheels are from AMT's 76 Gremlin, as they are the closest wheels I could find(I know of the Monogram Step side with rally wheels, but they are 6 lug, not 5) The grill has already been started and will (hopefully) resemble his as closely as possible. My deadline will be his birthday, August 23rd. Well, here are pics of my progress so far. PapsC-10WIP001_zps423f1c3d.jpgPapsC-10WIP002_zps31f5fec1.jpgPapsC-10WIP003_zpsa575cec4.jpgPapsC-10WIP005_zps624cffbd.jpgPapsC-10WIP004_zps488fdcf4.jpg

Edited by wrecker388

Nice project. I've been gathering parts to build my own old Chevy. I paid $100 for a '76 Chevy long bed fleetside. Six cylinder, four speed, and not a single straight panel anywhere. When an old lady demolished it outside my apartment, there where shards of bondo scattered a block away. I still miss it 19 years later.....

Edited by Dan Rosenello

I'll post some pics tomorrow. Suspension is nearly finished, found mesh for the grill, got the frame modified to be 2wd, and some other stuff i'm surely forgetting. BTW, does anyone know of a kit with a separate bow tie emblem? I need it for the grill.

Revell 64 Chevy Truck Model has the bowtie with the 10 under it, that can be trimmed off. I have a set that i can mail to you. Ray J

Thanks for the offer Ray, but if the emblems are the same as on the Revell 65, they are a good bit too small.

I'll post some pics of my progress later. May be more than I said last night.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have the running boards?... If not I can help you out with them...

Yeah, I actually built a set, but thanks for the offer though.

I may end up missing the deadline, I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled today and the bodywork (cab's back wall and visor mainly) is not cooperating. My dad will be off work until next Tuesday, so he can help me. I also go back to school next Wednesday, which bites, but Pap's birthday is Saturday so with any luck I'll be able to get it finished by then. Also, any suggestions on a stocker looking steering wheel? The one from Revell's 69 Yenko Camaro looks pretty close.

Edited by wrecker388