Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal Help! building a unique match racer...

Hello All!

I don't post here often but i do love this site and i'm on here at least twice a week. I'm building a drag car for my Wife's Uncle.

Its an interesting car as its a 64 dodge with a 65 front clip. The story is that the original owner wanted to keep it current and put the new (65) front end on it. Nobody ever noticed.... currently the car is match raced down in the Carolinas.

I started with a Jimmy Flintstone resin 65 Altered and cut out the trunk along with part of the rear quarters.

The donor for the rear end was a Lindberg 64 dodge. The engine is a from a funny car and the stacks and manifold are from speed city. The Chassis is modified from Nova altered kit. He runs a 9" slick and the Gremlin kit had the perfect slick for it. The paint has a few coats of clear to apply yet but its coming along,

My problem is the decals for this car. I'm a graphic artist by trade and i can design them for this car using CorelDraw.

My bump in the road is getting them printed. I'm hoping someone on here might be able to put me in contact with someone who can. I've been able to stencil white on first then apply a decal in the past but the old english on the door would be too much to try and cut out...and the small white copy, sheesh! impossible (for me anyway...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm willing to pay for this and i'd love to make it happen for the car owner.

Lastly! if any of you know of this car please don't tell the owner. This is a surprise build for Christmas.

(you never know right) lol...

post-9242-0-09748100-1404079592_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-43390500-1404079593_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-44358800-1404079594_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-40998400-1404079595_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-23497400-1404079596_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-18999600-1404079597_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-80727100-1404079597_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-38979100-1404079598_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-08774200-1404079603_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-86902300-1404080888_thumb.jp

I don't know if he's still a member here but I had some custom decals made, which were awesome, made for me by Greg Holland. I don't know his member name unfortunately, so Greg if you're still here... Looks like you're needed ??

Cheers Cliff

Thanks guys! I'm going to call signs and lines tomorrow and see if they can help me. I contacted the sign shop of sheboygan once for decal work and they sort of laughed at me. I do have them do digital print and vinyl work for 1:1stuff and they are great so I don't mean to talk them down.

Greg, I'd love to hear from you also!

Paul, I own a digital printer and a plotter and gobs of software that I use for custom painting and some signs too, Their are some good people in your neck of the woods that do allot of the sprint cars that run at the Plymouth fair grounds. The names escape me right down but I can make a phone call and get you names if you like. One of the shops is in Fond du Lac off of hwy 23 and one is just north of you.

Stretch may be a good source, he used to be one hell of a good sign artist and pinstriper, I know of him vaguely as he used to hang out with some of the custom painters that I know in Milwaukee. I know he does allot of fleet work now.

Some of the digitals don't print metallic so keep that in mind, also the minimum film thickness for a digitals is 2 mils which is fairly thick for a model. I have a very good cutter/plotter and I have cut some really small letters and do dads for custom paint masks with excellent results (I mean really small) you could have a mask made and paint it. With your skills and CorelDraw make it in a vector format and you are good to go, I really can't see the 1:1 image that well and I'm trying to see if that lettering is gold leaf or One Shot Imitation Gold, It looks like Imitation Gold. I do know that a good cutter can cut that size on the model for a mask with no problem. I don't think you will have any problem finding any of the contingency markings one good source would be Slixx. If your mind is set on waterslides I think Whoope Cat does custom work. With your skillsets you may want to print you own, I have not tried to make any decals but some people have with really good results. I have some white and clear that are made by the Bare Metal Foil Co and I have seen some Testor at Hobby Lobby. I have no idea of how any of these perform. I think their is a article on decals in the tips and tricks section. jwrass

Thanks for the info James, fortunately the door graphics are yellow paint and not gold. I have printed decals in the past but I can't print white. I have heard of whoopie cat before and I'll have to check into that also. I don't want the graphic film to be too thick that's for sure.

Paul, With a vector file you could cut those as masks and airbrush them with no problem. If you do the artwork I will cut them for you! My sister lives in Glenbula and works in the falls I get up there a few times a year, I will cost you a beer! jwrass

So i did some digging today and contacted Whoopie Cat. They had some formatting questions but it sounds like they might be able to help. I also found another site that advertises custom decal manufacturing, www.polecatdecals.com. I'm leaning towards this place but i haven't contacted them yet.

Here is my progress on the decals. There are some small stickers on the back bumper area i need to create but everything else is good to go.

i printed the decals on regular paper and cut them out to check my scaling. I'm pretty pleased with the fit so... Off to the presses!

I'll post an update when i get the decals. Thanks for looking!

post-9242-0-82229600-1404415063_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-92339200-1404415074_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-20486300-1404415093_thumb.jp