Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best 1:24 or 1:25 Ford GT40 kit

Not aware of any from Aoshima or Hasegawa. Fujimi made some very nice 1/24th ones (curbside) about 10-15 years ago. A couple of the Fujimi versions were reboxed as Revell kits about 25 years ago. There were others made by IMC (full detail, opening doors and engine compartment) and other companies (Monogram) 40+ years ago, but the Fujimi versions are still easy enough to find (at least on eBay).

The Monogram one was a GT 40 Mark I (different nose) and a slot car originally, it was reissued maybe 15 years ago in a Revell-Monogram box. The Fujimi kits are GT-40 Mark IIs, as I believe the IMC kit was also. I have a an old box for an AMT one, not sure what that kit was originally, maybe a Heller.

Edited by Rob Hall

Not aware of any from Aoshima or Hasegawa. Fujimi made some very nice 1/24th ones (curbside) about 10-15 years ago. A couple of the Fujimi versions were reboxed as Revell kits about 25 years ago. There were others made by IMC (full detail, opening doors and engine compartment) and other companies (Aurora?) 40+ years ago, but the Fujimi versions are still easy enough to find (at least on eBay).

Yeah... Fujimi... That's the maker I meant.

So if I find a revell kit it's a Fujimi?

Is there any difference between the Fujimi kits?

Thanks a lot. So if I want to build one, no matter year or livery, which one should I take? Or could you say that if I take a Fujimi I'll be okay?

I'd go with the Fujimi ones just because they are the easiest in my experience to find. I have the Monogram ex-slot car one, the Revell-Fujimi reboxes, a couple of the more recent Fujimis ('68 and '69 Gulf liveries) and a restorable IMC in my stash.

MPC also made a 1/25th 1967 GT-40 Mark IV kit, the Mark IV was a very different looking car from the Mark I and II...

Edited by Rob Hall

Go Fujimi, or the Revell re-issues of the Fujimi kits as Rob mentioned. The bodies are well proportioned, but there are differences in bodywork through the years, and several of the Fujimi kits reflect these differences. Do your homework if you have a particular "look" you're after, as the differences are subtle but obvious.

The IMC kits Rob mentioned have some odd proportions and are also more challenging because of all the extra detail and opening doors, but the extra detail and doors are NOT done particularly well. There's also AMT and Union reboxed IMC kits, and an old Aurora (reissued as Revell/Monogram) Ford GT with a drooping-pointy nose and wire wheels. The LS/Arii kit is so bad it's not even worth mentioning...proportions all wrong.

If you want to make a full-detail car from the Fujimi kits, trans-kits are available, or you can swap in smallblock or big-block Ford engines if you like modifications and some scratch-building.

Here's a recent thread on this exact topic. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67630

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Go Fujimi, or the Revell re-issues of the Fujimi kits as Rob mentioned. The bodies are well proportioned, but there are differences in bodywork through the years, and several of the Fujimi kits reflect these differences. Do your homework if you have a particular "look" you're after, as the differences are subtle but obvious.

The IMC kits Rob mentioned have some odd proportions and are also more challenging because of all the extra detail and opening doors, but the extra detail and doors are NOT done particularly well. There's also AMT and Union reboxed IMC kits, and an old Aurora (reissued as Revell/Monogram) Ford GT with a drooping-pointy nose and wire wheels. The LS/Arii kit is so bad it's not even worth mentioning...proportions all wrong.

If you want to make a full-detail car from the Fujimi kits, trans-kits are available, or you can swap in smallblock or big-block Ford engines if you like modifications and some scratch-building.

Here's a recent thread on this exact topic. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67630

Thanks for the input. Yes, I was thinking of going in the opposite direction first, taking the best kit (if there was one) and let that decide the model GT40 for me.

But now that I can choose it'll def. be a Gulf livery car.

Curbside... Doesn't matter really, I just want one of these beautiful cars on my shelf. However resin transkits are always dangerous ifyaknowhatimean. :D

And sorry I missed that previous thread.