Model Cars Magazine Forum

WORKS IN (very slow) PROGRESS

peekay

I haven't finished anything since last October and progress on these two Johans has been slow, even by my standards. I'm putting them up here in the hope that it will get me moving again.

First up is the DeSoto. It will be curbside but I spent some time lowering the interior floor - slight improvement. I now have to paint the interior, a daunting task (unless you're Steve Guthmiller!). The wire wheels are from the AMT 62 T/Bird and were very kindly donated by "my80malibu" - I owe you one Gabriel. Thanks Carl (Slusher) too, who offered to do the same.

c40325a1-b20b-4bdd-825b-1eb8ee322000_zps

Next is the 62 Chrysler 300H. It's pretty close to completion, just needs to be assembled and the engine bay detailed. I didn't lower the floor on this one, it's not really worth the effort. The molded in distributor was removed and replaced with one from Morgan Automotive Detail. The tyre in both photos is from the AMT Parts Pack but the Chrysler should really have thin-walls - can't decide.

Next thing I need is a better lens for my EOS Canon 400D . Thinking of the 60mm 2.8 macro - does anybody here use that lens?

0c8a9043-3766-4906-a422-3ae69009e878_zps

28f31bd9-18c9-4822-8eb3-179ec7a2df14_zps

Edited by peekay

Peter, You flatter me! :) These are right up my alley!! As a matter of fact, I just recently picked up another of the '62s & hope to get going on it in the near future. As for the Desoto, I built one of those a couple of years ago & I'm a little frightened at how similar our tastes must be. I painted mine before I had my airbrush up & running again & I used Testors "Tropical Turquoise". Honestly, I like yours much better! Don't give up on it. I wanna see this one finished!! :) Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

wow! Yeah, the color on the DeSoto is gorgeous, but what really caught my attention is the bright work. Is that BMF, Alclad or a combination of the two? The detailing in the side molding is fantastic. I cant imagine how one would do that with foil. Then again, the quality of your work generally does strain my imagination.

As for the 60mm macro lens you're considering; while I don't have any experience with that particular lens, I would suggest looking at Tamron. They're 20-30% cheaper than Canon, with equal (and sometimes superior) quality.

Edited by Shardik

Thanks everybody - I'm encouraged by your comments to overcome my modeler's block. (It's not really a block, it's just my guitars taking the upper hand again, which I'm quite happy to let them do.)

Bruce, I mixed the DeSoto colour myself using Sikkens automotive paints and it's a bit greener than the actual metallic light blue that DeSoto offered.

Steve, I absolutely love your DeSoto (and everything else you've posted) and I'm also flattered that you like the look of mine so far. Like I said, the interior will be a challenge - it would be so much easier if only the walls were seperate pieces.

And Johann, thanks for the tip - I'll check out the Tamron.

wow! Yeah, the color on the DeSoto is gorgeous, but what really caught my attention is the bright work. Is that BMF, Alclad or a combination of the two? The detailing in the side molding is fantastic. I cant imagine how one would do that with foil. Then again, the quality of your work generally does strain my imagination.

Thanks for the compliment. It's all BMF - the inserts on the roof were done with Matte Aluminium, although I now think they were just chrome on the real car. Johan got the fluting in the side molding spot on, so it's just a matter of taking the time to burnish down thoroughly. I start with a Q-Tip and and get into crevices with a custom-made set of different shaped (and smoothed) toothpicks.

Thanks everybody - I'm encouraged by your comments to overcome my modeler's block. (It's not really a block, it's just my guitars taking the upper hand again, which I'm quite happy to let them do.)

Bruce, I mixed the DeSoto colour myself using Sikkens automotive paints and it's a bit greener than the actual metallic light blue that DeSoto offered.

Steve, I absolutely love your DeSoto (and everything else you've posted) and I'm also flattered that you like the look of mine so far. Like I said, the interior will be a challenge - it would be so much easier if only the walls were seperate pieces.

And Johann, thanks for the tip - I'll check out the Tamron.

Good luck with that interior Peter! Looks like another typical "wild" early 60s Mopar upholstery pattern. I'm not sure it will even be possible to duplicate this interior pattern. I just did mine in a tri-tone & didn't get too carried away with the cloth. Have fun with it though. You never know what you might come up with. I see lots of masking tape & patience in your future! :) Steve

Good luck with that interior Peter! Looks like another typical "wild" early 60s Mopar upholstery pattern. I'm not sure it will even be possible to duplicate this interior pattern. I just did mine in a tri-tone & didn't get too carried away with the cloth. Have fun with it though. You never know what you might come up with. I see lots of masking tape & patience in your future! :) Steve

attachicon.gif1960 Desoto Adventurer interior front pass.JPG

Scale Motorsports has some upholstery pattern decals that'll get you in the ballpark.

Also, you could try a technical/liquid or gel pen and a small square/rectangle template.

Charlie Larkin

Scale Motorsports has some upholstery pattern decals that'll get you in the ballpark.

Also, you could try a technical/liquid or gel pen and a small square/rectangle template.

Charlie Larkin

That's basically how I did this one. Just masked off & painted alternating vertical stripes of white, light blue & medium blue, ( the light blue is a little hard to pick up in this photo) & then did horizontal stripes with a darker blue ultra fine "Sharpie". Something like this would be pretty close. Steve

Thanks for your tips Charlie and Steve. I have a selection of Scale Motorsports patterns (and some carbon fiber decals, which also work well). I won't attempt to replicate the pattern - I'm a near-enough-is-good-enough modeler and I'll come up with something satisfying.

Steve, I think the way you've done the pattern on your Dodge is simply beyond my ability - probably the finest interior I've ever seen on a Johan model.

Meanwhile I'm giving the Chrysler priority as it's closest to completion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the interior for the DeSoto more or less finished, needs more detail on the dash. I gave the interior more depth by removing the floor, adding extensions to the bottom of the doors and using a replacement floor from an AMT 62 Bel Air. I sprayed the lot with Tamiya white primer because I needed that pure, durable white for the colour scheme; I used Humbrol brush paints for the rest and their whites aren't white enough. I used Scale Motor Sports decals for the upholstery pattern, not at all accurate, but I love the look, specially after some dull coat.

3474efd7-1ccd-4d81-918d-ba6a92167560_zps

Not properly fitted yet, just a mock-up....

bc85578e-c913-492b-9866-bc3b5ea5181d_zps

Still a list of things to do on this one but it's getting there.

be525091-b433-4c32-a8be-c0e9e9a63a64_zps

The interior looks great Peter!! That's all you're going to be able to do is something "in the ballpark" with these old kits. Replicating an accurate upholstery pattern would be next to impossible on a lot of them. The whole thing is coming along nicely! A breath of fresh air from the usual Camaros, Mustangs & Cudas. Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just nice to see something a little more "unusual" occasionally! :) Steve