Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Mustang GT Update.............Making a pretty face prettier! 8/22/15

MrObsessive

Love those spark plug boots. Seen that technique illustrated before but I don't remember ever seeing it photographed. I think a lot of the trim issues stem from the shared tooling between the GT and Shelby versions. Have you ever tried Tenax? I can't tell it and Ambroid apart. MEK is very similar in its working properties, too, but the fumes are much stronger than the hobby brands.

Now I was playing around with the wheels for a moment………..I was trying to detail the wheels with paint. Here’s what I have at the moment………

P7135241.jpg

Those redline tires are from an extra new issue ’68 Road Runner kit that may be part of a possible future magazine article. I figured I may as well put those tires to good use since they won’t be needed for the article. I’m not sure I have the shade of gray in the spokes dark enough……….some pics show this shade, other pics I have it appears to be darker.

My better sense tells me to darken them up a bit. Any thoughts on this?

Well that’s pretty much it for now……….I’m not sure when Fotki might get their act together but for the time being, this may be what I’ll be doing as far as doing a post.

Thanks for looking!

Hey Bill, I'm following this intently as I want to do my own Mustang later. As fot the wheels, the triangles that you have in black are holes. The depressions in the spokes aren't gray but brown. At least on my car. The hub centers are blue on the '67. I took the liberty of posting a picture of mine.

P1050212.jpg

Nice work Bill! I don't know how I've missed this. Another thing with this kit is the head lights. They're too small. I drilled the holes out larger and used the buckets and lenses from a Revell '69 Camaro on mine. It makes a huge difference in how the front end looks.

019-8.jpg

Have you ever tried Tenax? I can't tell it and Ambroid apart. MEK is very similar in its working properties, too, but the fumes are much stronger than the hobby brands.

I'm not a big fan of Tenax........seems as though it evaporates much faster than Ambroid, and over time loses its potency. At least that's been my experience with it in the past.

Nice work Bill! I don't know how I've missed this. Another thing with this kit is the head lights. They're too small. I drilled the holes out larger and used the buckets and lenses from a Revell '69 Camaro on mine. It makes a huge difference in how the front end looks.

019-8.jpg

Hmmm.........I'll have to look into that! That's a cool idea, and your model looks great!

Great job Bill! I have a question regarding the hood. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 67 Mustang hoods suppose to have to 2 side by side indention's like a Charger?

I'm not sure about the hood------I'll have to check my pics. Could be that there were two different hoods offered for '67-'68? If that's the case then some reworking is in order.

Well, it's time to go to work...........maybe this evening I can get some more done on 'er.

Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions fellas! ;)

Hey Bill, I'm following this intently as I want to do my own Mustang later. As fot the wheels, the triangles that you have in black are holes. The depressions in the spokes aren't gray but brown. At least on my car. The hub centers are blue on the '67. I took the liberty of posting a picture of mine.

P1050212.jpg

Thanks for the reference pic Pat! I'll definitely be using it!

Looks like the program won't let me quote and write on the same post. this morning. So here's the rest of the story. The hood with the indentations was optional. It features functional air extraction scoops and turn signal indicators. See page from the sales booklet below.

Hood.jpg

One of the mysteries of this kit is that it's missing certain things that were very common, if not universal for all 1967-68 Mustangs. That is, the trim is conspicuous by its absence in certain places on the body.

I don't know what car AMT used to model this particular kit, but every '67 Mustang I've ever seen (I saw a lot of them growing up in the '60's and '70's), has had the hood and grille surround chrome trim.

Well, it's time to break out the plastic stock and add my own trim first to the hood. Using some .020 plastic stock, I first sanded away the very faint if not non-existent chrome trim that was on the hood. I then added the plastic sheet that was cut at an angle to match the contours of the hood.

When it was dry, I sanded everything as smooth as possible, and as you'll see in a later pic, it's a lot smoother than what the pic is showing here.

photo5-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

Also missing was the chrome trim that should surround the taillight area. I used .010x.020 plastic strip (Plastruct) to replicate this.

photo3-vi.jpg

The same needed to be done to the trunk. Some careful bending was needed------Plastruct styrene has come to be my favorite for detail like this as their plastic is a lot more dense than Evergreen, and holds up better for bending around a tight radius.

photo4-vi.jpg

After the body is painted and polished, I'll BMF these areas.

photo5-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

photo5-vi.jpg

There! That's the '67 Mustang back end I've come to know!

OK...........the body's looking rather naked here. Seems as though AMT left some important details off here as well. Missing are the rocker panel chrome trim sections, as well as the wheelwell chrome trim.

I have seen Mustangs of this vintage without wheelwell trim------if a Mustang expert out there could chime in-----was this exclusive to the GT's or could this be ordered on the garden variety Mustangs as well?

photo5-vi.jpg

Just the same, I want to add this trim as I think the car will look so much better with them. As you can see here, I used (Evergreen this time) .010x.040 plastic strip surrounding the perimeter of the wheelwell.

I let this sit for a while before I started to sand things down.

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

You can see the result here.............after everything's said and done, I'll BMF these as well. This has been done to all four wheelwells.

But wait there's more! ;)

Edited by landman

It looks like the Mustang like a lot of cars in the '60's, could be optioned pretty much any way you wanted it.

Here are a couple pics of the car that's given me inspiration........I ran across this on the 'net and got some VERY good shots of the undercarriage, engine, and interior.

photo8-vi.jpg

photo11-vi.jpg

As you can see in the top pic, the hood is without the indentations like the box art car, yet has the wheelwell trim as well as the rocker trim. I also can remember seeing Mustang's with a "ribbed" taillight section. IIRC, Norm Veber once sold this section in resin......I'm not sure if he still does. Nevertheless, I'll leave mine the way it is out of the box.

The interior of mine will eventually be red, with the red rocker stripe-------pretty much like the box art car.

Great work so far Bill love all your work do you channel all your windows like that? How do you make a channel for the door windows on some of your models?

Thanks for the nice words John!

I wrote an article for MCM (May/June '14 issue) where I show one way to make channels for your sedan doors. I also wrote an article years ago (late '09) for MCM on how to step by step, make those channels you see on the Mustang for front and rear windows. If I'm going to make my own windows using clear stencil sheet------yes, making channels are a must for me!

I don't want to give too much away here, as I'd like for MCM to make money off the sales of the mags.........but if you pick up those articles, it should answer a lot of your questions.

I'm at a loss for words. Just awesome craftsmanship.

In 1995 I was 15 years old, with my dad at his plant on the far south side of Chicago. We were coming home for the weekend back up to the NW burbs of Chicago. He pointed to a hobby shop near his office and said we should go in. I could not even tell you what the shop name was or even location but I remember it was well stocked. At that time AMT must have flooded the market with these kits, they seemed to be everywhere. So my dad bought me one of these (the issue you have). He died a year later.

With this kit and a few others he bought me, they still sit unbuilt. I have been waiting until my skills would reach to that point where I gave them that level of quality I think they should be at. Reading this thread is just the bump I need. This site has shown me tips, tricks and advanced my skills light years. Now watching this as a step by step and giving the kit that extra level of detail, I think I can do this to.

Thank you for sharing Bill!