1964 S/S Dodge, Color Me Gone..

36 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello guys,

I've finished the car and completed my Workbench Topic. So let's have a look at one of my favorites of the era.

The model proved to be a challenge for me. My first model car since 1975, and I changed lots of things around. The motor was moved back 4mm to let it sit more correctly in the engine bay, electric, brakes and fuel lines were added to the car, and I jacked it up all around to make it sit better, the model OTB is way too low for my taste.

These changes tested my patience more than several times,and I kicked myself just as often for having to change so many things for my first build. I'm over it, and I'm happy with the result.

May I present, Color Me Gone, from mid 1964;

post-13335-0-54301100-1404569944_thumb.j

post-13335-0-40143000-1404569951_thumb.j

post-13335-0-08550000-1404569963_thumb.j

post-13335-0-32799400-1404569972_thumb.j

post-13335-0-57097200-1404569982_thumb.j

post-13335-0-50457900-1404569990_thumb.j

post-13335-0-41280800-1404569998_thumb.j

post-13335-0-49478500-1404570009_thumb.j

post-13335-0-59229100-1404570018_thumb.j

post-13335-0-87487700-1404570027_thumb.j

post-13335-0-37657600-1404570038_thumb.j

Thanks for looking,

Michael

Posted · Report post

Nice build Mike, too bad the decals yellowed ......

Alan

Posted · Report post

Fantastic build Michael. Great work on the build I enjoyed it..

Posted · Report post

Michael, I too enjoyed this build, after not building for a long time (I'm in the same boat as you) I hope my first build is as good as yours! You set the bar pretty high!!! Great eye candy!!!!jimmy "Rass"

On my bench Big Daddys 74 top Fuel and A M-16 Mclaren Indy Car. It's going slow, very slow, jwrass

Posted · Report post

Great job, Michael..! Very cleanly built, and the stance is perfect.

Posted · Report post

Well done !

Posted · Report post

Really nice! The subtle changes to the ride height were worth it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice build Mike, too bad the decals yellowed ......

Alan

Hi Alan,

Which ones are yellow? Perhaps the light for the pics was not correct. I have the car sitting right here in front of me on the window sill, and the sun is shining and the decals are still clear.

Oh! I see that you have a "decal Website". Do you sell decals too? In that case, I think maybe your immediate post, the first one after my initial entry, is out of line. You wouldn't want us all to buy your decals now would you?

Too bad you're decals won't replace those crummy yellow ones on my model. Nothing worse than crummy yellow decals.

Sorry guys for this slight disrailment.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

Posted · Report post

Guys, thanks for the cudos. You were all riding with me on this build, and I'm happy it turned out like it did.

Carl, I sweated this one out, and your encouragement helped me along. You're a good guy, thanks for your support.

@JR, man those are some small parts to glue up! My fingers would be all sticking to each other! Wait till I get my altereds all sorted out.

Michael

Posted · Report post

Really nice work, your changes really helped the car capture the correct look.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Roger. Even though the real car was more often pictured as being lower than it's counterparts, Ramchargers and all of the other Mopars, I still wanted it up more. I think it looks healthy, and makes the car look a little less clumsy. The 64 Dodge had a huge front bumper, and from what I've heard from guys racing the cars back then, the Dodges weighed a little more than the Plymouths because of the bumper designs. Still, a S/S Dodge has a certain ring, and it should have the look as well.

I'm real happy with the look now.

Michael

Posted · Report post

First since when??? Hot Dog that looks good fer all that time off!!

Welcome to the pits.

Bob

Posted · Report post

Mike,

I meant no harm, nor insult, nor to promote or sell anyone anything. I think you did a great job on the build, I simply meant it was too bad the decals seemed to have yellowed on your build, nothing more nothing less.

Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Sincerely

Alan

Posted · Report post

Michael………superb model…….you did a GREAT job!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Nice job on that '64 Dodge build Michael as I just love dem Mopars. Oh, and those Color Me Gone kits make great "parts kits" as well.

Posted · Report post

Excellent return to the hobby.

Nice job Michael, like the stance, and , those front wheels look great! So does the engine bay! Nice job overall.

Edited by Speedfreak

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys. The post door cars just kill me. Even the Fords had cool ones, just not too many around, even back then. Something about a plain car, no frills, all body color, and a big, nasty motor. I like them.

Nick, the Ramchargers model was a doner for this CMG model. The Hemi, front grill, and A100 seat are from the other Dodge. You're right too, great donor kits. Speed City Resin has wonderful A/FX kits just waiting for them. Good so, I got three Lindbergs hiding away in boxes.

Gene, the front wheels are from Comp Resins. The ones in the kit had too much Flash and didn't look right to me. So, I used them as molds for making them in real metal. Now they're like this;

post-13335-0-49569300-1404626501_thumb.j

I like.

Michael

Posted · Report post

Alan, what do you think I took the wrong way?

I see it like this, one can look all over this forum and seldom does anyone, at any time offer criticism. You come out first, with a smoking gun. I can handle it, not to worry.

What irritates me is the fact that you so obviously took a shot to obtain some spotlight to your decal business. Secondly, you seem to overlook your questionable timing, and your choice of words. I did a search here checking out your forum entries. What I gather is about 90% of your replies deal directly to your business, or resin parts, or otherwise subjects dealing with things of this nature.

That's fine, it's your business. Taking cheap shots to get attention, at the expense of others is not cool. Not admitting you could of done better, is not cool either. Dismissing my interpretation, on my topic, and stating you didn't mean too is outright silly.

So, how about like this; "Nice build Mike(Michael!), I have Color Me Gone decals as well".

Same effect, with an acceptable style.

Michael

Posted · Report post

OUTSTANDING job Michael!! :)

Posted · Report post

Nice looking build love the detail

Posted · Report post

One of the great drag cars of all times. VERY NICE.

Say What!!!!! Steel wheels. Ok I know you are a oil barron, but you own foundry too Michael you have been holding out on us!!!

Seriously, I love this build, there is not one thing I would change! Iconic CMG 64 S/S. What really does it for me and ties in the whole package is the steel rear wheels!!! You could have played it safe and put Mags in the rear and most people would not have known the difference. Absolutly period correct. Artfully done by skilled hands (I meant thumbs) great build Michael.

P. S. So not cool to start out a reply bashing someone who has put out much time & effort to share with all!

I know a apology was made which I feel was owed. I don't want to start a war of words and will not reply to any!!! just my opinion

Momma told me if you can't say anything nice don't say anyting at all.

Edited by jwrass

Posted · Report post

Mike, Forget it

If you can not accept my sincere reply that is your problem. And, no I don't have those decals ......

Posted · Report post

Nice. Real nice. You still don't get it do you?

The name is M-i-c-h-a-e-l. Michael.

Michael