Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Buick Riviera

Maxicoop

I don't think the body color window moldings and wipers are doing you any favors...

Agreed, some foil would make a huge difference on this... And I would paint those interior tub tabs that are on the firewall the same color as the firewall...

I love these old Rivis... Not a huge fan of the donk rims on this body style...

Nice build though...

Edited by Wonderbread Kustomz

Is it just me or is it becoming a trend to remove chrome from vintage cars out in the real world? I like the trend to install brand new engines in older cars. We have superior technology now, why not use it.However, I wish customizing shops would leave everything else. Honda accord seats belong in...well a honda accord. Just saying.

Is it just me or is it becoming a trend to remove chrome from vintage cars out in the real world? I like the trend to install brand new engines in older cars, as it appears has been done here. We have superior technology now, why not use it.However, I wish customizing shops would leave everything else. Honda accord seats belong in...well a honda accord. Just saying.

If you were attempting to achieve the 'monochrome' look by painting all the trim and chrome bits the same color as the body, you did. When 1:1 builders do it, it can be dramatic.

However, the problem with 'monochromatic' scale models is they just look unfinished and lazy. No amount of artistic explanation will change that perception, I'm afraid.

You will get some criticism, but it's only a model and as long as you enjoyed building it, that's all it's really about. Now a big part of the problem is that those Rivs were just so gorgeous, that customizing them is considered almost sacrilegious, so don't take that personally. Another thing is that a LOT of guys, I mean a whole lot, really don't like big rims on a classic, I like up to 20s, but most of my friends thing even that's too big. So the 24s or so on yours will get a lot of people upset, or maybe just making negative comments, but don't take that personally either. Build what you like, share pictures and take the criticism as constructive, or just plain ignore it as you just can't please everyone!!!! But you must paint those interior tabs to match the firewall okay! Cheers, great model by the way!!!

First off, thanks to everyone for your comments for and against my Rivi .... this is one of the first cars I did after thirty years of not building so I know it's not perfect and I have a lot of old school things I do that are now out of date but I do appreciate all your comments so I can learn and it will make me a better modeler ......thanks again

I'm puzzled, not by the model but another little customizing trend, If you look at the side of the model the chrome door handle catches your eye. What ever happened to solenoid door openers especially with the new remote systems available today. Recently when I was selling some of my collection at a show I got hassled because I shaved the door handles off a lot of my 60's & 70's models I had. That was the trend back then and I think it would make any retro custom better

Nice Riv, not a big wheel fan, Never rode in a car with big wheels and don't know how hard of a ride it would be but just reminds me of how hard a ride it was in my red wagon with solid tires when I was a kid.

greg

I'm puzzled, not by the model but another little customizing trend, If you look at the side of the model the chrome door handle catches your eye. What ever happened to solenoid door openers especially with the new remote systems available today. Recently when I was selling some of my collection at a show I got hassled because I shaved the door handles off a lot of my 60's & 70's models I had. That was the trend back then and I think it would make any retro custom better

Nice Riv, not a big wheel fan, Never rode in a car with big wheels and don't know how hard of a ride it would be but just reminds me of how hard a ride it was in my red wagon with solid tires when I was a kid.

greg

you're right Greg, shaved handles were in back then, but it cost and with the customizing on this Rivi I ran out of money ...LOL really I was going to do that but I painted it before I thought of it and just decided to leave them on ...... big wheel ....never rode on them but low profile tires I have ridden on and they ride like your wagon thanks for your comments