Model Cars Magazine Forum

For any of you that still believe 3-D printing is a far-off dream...

Just looking at the photo. I'm not too thrilled how the wheels are held on. Looks like a pin to hold stuff together on the farm. There are 3D printers now that spray metal.

Edited by Greg Wann

the why is because its one thing to do something like that car where you don't care about 1/64th inch areas, and quite another to do something where you do care about the small stuff, namely 1/24 for instance scale modeling.

unless they are completely 3D printing an operating engine with those sort of tolerances, and I don't think they are, then it has a ways to go. I do agree its coming closer to reality every day, printing to closer tolerances I mean.

jb

I do agree its coming closer to reality every day, printing to closer tolerances I mean.

jb

The technology is advancing and being refined at a very quick pace. We are so close to the day when owning a desktop 3-D printer will be as common as owning a "regular" printer.

Just as it was in the 1980's for digital 2-D, there's a great deal of work yet to do, especially to address low-market-value, hobbyist endeavors like miniature models, which require very high resolution output and standardized, easy to manipulate file creation software. But the challenges are well known and in focus so it will come in due course.

The technology is advancing and being refined at a very quick pace. We are so close to the day when owning a desktop 3-D printer will be as common as owning a "regular" printer.

I still say the price of the "ink" will be a bit prohibitive for a while. I just don't know if top notch printers for models are that close. And you would not want a cheapie printer.

I still say the price of the "ink" will be a bit prohibitive for a while. I just don't know if top notch printers for models are that close. And you would not want a cheapie printer.

150 for a quart on the machine im buying, 150 isnt bad given that you can produce 2000$ worth of product with it.

well here is the other end of the hobbyist equation: where exactly do you get your source files from? do you have a 3D scanner which is what it would seem to me to need? and then of course the endless interfaces and software possibilities.

or do maybe these printers come with some point and click design software?

so I mean, how easy is it going to be to produce a simple small block chevy finned valve cover for example?

jb

Edited by jbwelda

well here is the other end of the hobbyist equation: where exactly do you get your source files from? do you have a 3D scanner which is what it would seem to me to need? and then of course the endless interfaces and software possibilities.

so I mean, how easy is it going to be to produce a simple small block chevy finned valve cover for example?

jb

i draw my own

jb

As the technology evolves and 3-D printers become common, you can bet that companies will be jumping in and providing all sorts of files to print.

3D printing is happening. It's pretty much a done deal. 3D printing in 1/24 scale? That's a little more problematic.

Oh really?

This has been posted on a few other forums

Hello everybody!

I want to show you my new project. This model from scratch Lexus LX570 KHANN. The model was established by using the 3D technology.

Enjoy smile.gif

0_8f862_a0d4f389_XL_zps57bc729c.jpg

0_8f864_3939d57f_XL_zpse47c7284.jpg

0_8f865_f22aa59a_XL_zpsd7d9c52e.jpg

0_8f866_e36b3eec_XL_zpsf5c70a90.jpg

0_8f867_65fea961_XL_zpsc0194300.jpg

0_8f860_673e64e3_XL_zps0aad3cc9.jpg

Impressive to say the least, but was it output on a $45,000.00 machine or a $2500.00 machine? I have out put samples from many machine producers as I thought I wanted one and went serously shopping for one. As of May of this year, NONE of the consumer based machines had the fidelity required for modeling.

For those that doubt my claim all I can say is go shopping and get out put samples. Will the fideiity get there? Sure, but I doubt it will be soon. Years away. The best thing is to use a serivce that can output your files on an expensive printer.

Regards

Brian Kroon

jb

3D Scanners are also becoming much much cheaper and common. Every XBox Kinect has one built in, of course it wouldn't work in this instance. But there are small desktop scanners out there. Just like with the printers they may not be completely ready for modeling, but they will be here very very soon.

http://www.slashgear.com/makerbot-3d-printers-arrive-at-select-home-depot-stores-14337237/

For all of those that want one (Harry 3 stores in by you)here is your store, Home Depot.

Different MakerBot offerings have been made available. Both the Replicator Mini Compact 3D printer and the Replicator Desktop are available ($1,375 and $2,899, respectively), the Replicator 2 Desktop ($1,999), as well as the Digitizer Desktop 3D scanner ($799) and a roll of filament ($48).

For those living in California, Illinois, or New York, you may be able to pick one up at your local Home Depot store, with the following cities stocking the printers: Emeryville, East Palo Alto, San Carlos, Los Angeles, West Hills, Huntington Beach, Chicago (three stores), Naperville, and two locations in New York.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

Why?

Well, having seen several tooling mockups for 1/25 scale model car kits, 3D is still pretty rough, layered. While the layered printing process isn't all that noticeable on straight, flat or vertical surfaces, on the compound surfaces of a model car body, or certainly on suspension components, the layered process often leaves those parts looking as if they were sanded to shape from some sort of wood with very pronouced hard & soft rings of woodgrain.

Just my view, of course--but one of these days? Who knows?

Art