Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Maybe not exactly the intent of this thread, but I did see it on the road and it was very moving.  Sunday we were going to visit our grand son and were driving from San Diego north to Ventura.  We started noticing  fire equipment on every over pass over the 405.  With the fires going on, I was initially very concerned that the fires were spreading south.  Then it occurred to me, the remains of San Diego fireman Cory Iverson, who died fighting the Thomas fire in Ventura were being transported to his family in San Diego.   It was very moving to see thousands of fireman lining the overpasses all the way on the three hour drive.  I was also very please to see another thing happen.  As the procession passed us going south,  everyone in the northbound lanes stopped on the busiest freeway in California in deference to the fallen fire fighter. 

fireman.png

IMG_0386small.jpg.19eb51aa73b8d0a3d8978511c07806ab.jpg

Right up the road from my house in Exton, PA.  This is one of the oldest buildings in town.  This 1954 Ford pickup showed up there right before Christmas.  So of course I stopped to investigate.

IMG_0393small.jpg.20a7c6c9b7ecedc9b97744a8206e4412.jpg

Pretty rusty! Running boards are completely gone on both sides. Cab corners etc gone too. It's an F250 so it's got 8 lug wheels.

IMG_0387small.jpg.f8085b32e33c3dcb90e75a8e581bffe0.jpg

A bit more rust than I'd want on a 1:1, but figure someone is going to restore it. In fact what was really interesting is that it has all new wood in the box. 

But don't put it past me to build a model of it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

IMG_0386small.jpg.19eb51aa73b8d0a3d8978511c07806ab.jpg

Right up the road from my house in Exton, PA.  This is one of the oldest buildings in town.  This 1954 Ford pickup showed up there right before Christmas.  So of course I stopped to investigate.

IMG_0393small.jpg.20a7c6c9b7ecedc9b97744a8206e4412.jpg

Pretty rusty! Running boards are completely gone on both sides. Cab corners etc gone too. It's an F250 so it's got 8 lug wheels.

IMG_0387small.jpg.f8085b32e33c3dcb90e75a8e581bffe0.jpg

A bit more rust than I'd want on a 1:1, but figure someone is going to restore it. In fact what was really interesting is that it has all new wood in the box. 

But don't put it past me to build a model of it!

Thanks for posting. The Barn is very fitting in these pictures. 

25 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Thanks for posting. The Barn is very fitting in these pictures. 

Thanks.  I like living here in Chester County Pennsylvania.  All the ancient buildings were built from local stone, so you don't see wood barns.  There's tons of Revolutionary War era buildings around and even ruins still standing and somewhat maintained for history's sake.

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Nope, too cold down here...5C° or so.

Besides the thought of a middle aged guy wearing shorts isn't well....uh...something that spins my wheels ;)

I'd expect his hair was puffed on top and falling down his neck like a waterfall, even without the shorts.

23 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Nope, too cold down here...5C° or so.

Besides the thought of a middle aged guy wearing shorts isn't well....uh...something that spins my wheels ;)

Nor mine either!

This was more what I had in mind

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=daisy+duke&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=h3-Q1MAghN5SVM:

steve

Last year (last week :P) while drinking coffee at local gas station someone drove past the gas station with a green early '70s Mopar C-Body. I'm no expert on those so I can't say exactly what it was, but a C-Body Mopar it was for sure and in very nice condition. Those are seen rarely in the winter!

Earlier this week I saw a fairly clean '78 El Camino with a Cowl Induction scoop on the hood. Don't know what engine it had but it looked great. And at the same night I spotted also a green '64 Bel Air. And on New Year's eve when we were coming home from friend's garage party a '76-'77 Nova was cruising close to where I live.

But the rarest thing was today when a green "Gangster-Citroen" was seen on the traffic. Those are extremely rare around here even in the summertime. This was in immaculate condition. Similar to the one in this picture, but just a different color.

20774315_af.jpg

...And today I saw this Rambler American coming the other way than I was going on a highway. The owner is a real AMC enthusiast with several different AMC cars. Some of them are in flawless condition, some are not that flawless, but even though this Rambler looks a bit used it's driven all year round without any problems. The picture is taken last summer at a local Cruising Night as today I didn't have a camera with me.

DSCN5707.JPG?img=medium

Drove up from LA yesterday.  Had to visit a sick aunt.  I did take time to go the Petersen Museum.  If in LA do NOT miss it.  Its not every day you find yourself in a  building with probably $200 million in auto hardware, on one floor.  Had a 70 years of Ferrari exhibit.  1958 250TR Pontoon Fender, '63 330 LMB, 65 250LM, "Christine", Back To The Future DeLorean, Magnum's 308 GTB, a magnificent Low Rider exhibit....it just goes on and on.

At the intersection of Wilshire and S. Fairfax-right outside the museum I first heard then saw this one or very much its mate: even had that gawd-awful satin finish.  (There, I said it).

24719645537_8b9772a777.jpg

I'm pretty certain this is Volvo Woody I saw just north of Santa Barbara, didn't have a surf board but did have a paddle board on the roof rack.

25716805138_b0a82faa33.jpg

And before I forget:

25717128068_4f6e932fdb.jpg

Edited by The Junkman

truck_yardtrucks.jpg.275d95ae6391910a98743c2920c6d4ec.jpg

I've spent a lot of time sitting still in traffic this week.  Seems people keep crashing cars together on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

So I've been noticing truck loads lately.  How about building this one?  Three brand new yard jockey tractors going somewhere.

truck_exchanger.jpg.7cc94945d09113c034225d3f640df01d.jpg

Or how about scratch building this complex heat exchanger?  

The day before I saw a truck with what appeared to be a complete electrical substation kit.  Transformers, generators, pole mounted devices etc...   That would be fun on the contest table too.

Edited by Tom Geiger