Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

image.thumb.png.d2f63039107f8c3bc90f3398d08a2ea3.png

New Jersey Turnpike. I stopped for gas. I'm sitting at the pump and noticed this truck. My first thought when I saw the soft sides was that it was a car transporter. Soon enough someone opened a back panel showing off the apple green Porsche!   I can only imagine what the rest of the cargo was!

image.png.6513b8afb131505b983470e6c133833a.png

Pennsylvania Turnpike in the rain.. you had to see this one.  Doc's Pool Service.  The logo is Jesus sitting in a kiddie pool with rubber duckies!  

Didn't get any pictures but I did see a bunch of vehicles headed from Tennessee to the Carolinas for hurricane rescue efforts. Ambulances, power company trucks, search and rescue teams all going to help.

I stopped along I-40 in Tennessee at the Seiverville exit and there were tons of hot rods and cool cars and trucks headed to Pigeon Forge for this weekend's car show. If I didn't have to get home for the hurricane my plan was to stop there on Friday and check out some of the cars.

I did a double take on the NJ Turnpike on my way home.  There was flatbed tow truck with a New York City police car on it headed south (away from the city). It was  towing a Ford high top news van with a satellite dish on the roof.  It was lettered for NY Channel 6 News.... NY TV does not have a channel 6... so I'm assuming these were TV or movie cars.  

The truck was moving slow in the truck lanes, and I was too far away in the car lanes to try to get a photo.

Spotted this very nice looking 65 Ford Galaxie 500 at the local Walmart this afternoon.  Most significant thing about it.....painted bumpers.  He also removed the side chrome.  Lowered 4 inches in front and then lowered the rear to achieve the stance he wanted.  The rims are a perfect complement.  Claims it is a real chick magnet!

Ford 1.jpg

30 minutes ago, modelercarl said:

Spotted this very nice looking 65 Ford Galaxie 500 at the local Walmart this afternoon.  Most significant thing about it.....painted bumpers.  He also removed the side chrome.  Lowered 4 inches in front and then lowered the rear to achieve the stance he wanted.  The rims are a perfect complement.  Claims it is a real chick magnet!

Ford 1.jpg

I've had several 65 Fords and this one doesn't look lowered to me...not that it really matters if it's a "real  chick magnet".. :)

40 minutes ago, mike 51 said:

I've had several 65 Fords and this one doesn't look lowered to me...not that it really matters if it's a "real  chick magnet".. :)

Mike,  It kind of surprised me when he said 4 inches.  I probably should have taken a picture from the side and lower because it does look lowered, but I would have guessed 2 inches max, it sits down over the wheels real nice.  I told him that I build 1/25 scale models and that there are kits for 1965 Galaxies and he got pretty excited about it.  I told him I could do a search on them and let him know for sure.  He wanted to know if I could build one of his car and what it would cost.  I did a quick search on ebay and there are several kits listed so I might think about it.......I have built 4 kits for friends of their teenage cars, but never for money.

21 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I did a double take on the NJ Turnpike on my way home.  There was flatbed tow truck with a New York City police car on it headed south (away from the city). It was  towing a Ford high top news van with a satellite dish on the roof.  It was lettered for NY Channel 6 News.... NY TV does not have a channel 6... so I'm assuming these were TV or movie cars.  

The truck was moving slow in the truck lanes, and I was too far away in the car lanes to try to get a photo.

Hi Tom, N.Y. does have channel 6 news, it's a local Hudson Valley news channel. I see the trucks every once in a while, I'm kinda out in the boonies so it takes something kinda important for them to come around.

3 hours ago, Xingu said:

No photos. Saw a new Mercedes Benz G550 with what looked like an 8" lift kit and 33" tires. It was also painted (or wrapped) a flat grey with a slight purple sheen. Sure looked top heavy, but I doubt it will ever see gravel or dirt.

Did it look something like this? Because believe it or not, this is 100% factory stock. Mercedes G550 4X4 Squared.

g550-3.jpg