Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday while cruising around in Helsinki, Finland with my Chevy S10, it looks like I wasn't the only American Car driver in there as this '65 Chrysler Convertible showed up. Always great to see proper cars in the winter, too.

P1067604.JPG?img=medium

getPart?uid=AOT4jIQZkr2xXDJNJQoGaLKVCDQ&partId=4&saveAs=IMG_1248.jpg&scope=STANDARD

Since the Europeans are spotting American cars I thought I'd post this one!   Photographed in front of our local beer store on Friday afternoon!

Interior was gutted,  roll bar and two racing seats present!    Didn't see who owned it, but he had it out on a rainy, dreary afternoon.

getPart?uid=AK9wJtlUVFSzXDJPUAA2sI8io9o&partId=2&saveAs=IMG_1246.jpg&scope=STANDARD

Today while cruising around in Helsinki, Finland, I saw this Volvo Amazon in a great condition parked on side of the road. Had to park my Pickup truck to give the Volvo a closer look. Even though it's not American, I'd be happy to have one of them as a daily driver...

P1117625.JPG?img=medium

And later I saw this very clean Jeep Grand Wagoneer. These are not that rare here in Finland, but they are often in pretty sad condition. It was refreshing to see one that was in nearly flawless condition... Very nice.

P1127627.JPG?img=medium

P1127628.JPG?img=medium

On 12/2/2018 at 9:25 AM, Rob Hall said:

Alfa Romeo Stelvio?  I've seen a few around the Cleveland area. 

That might be what it was. I had to get too close just to figure out what the brand badge was. The model designation script was chrome on a white car but it did start with the letters S and T son I'm sure you are correct.

This evening I was cruising around in Helsinki, Finland (because what else would I do on Saturday night :P). I stopped by at a gas station to go and get a cup of coffee. When I got out of my Chevy S10, I heard a V8 rumble and saw this chopped Cadillac Hearse driving towards the city center. That made my day, great to see a car like that driving in snow next to several horrible looking new cars. B)

This picture was taken about a year ago.

P2101887.JPG?img=medium

16 hours ago, mod3l Lover said:

Kool stuff there Niko!!  I need to take a trip there, seems

like it might be a lot of fun!?!  LOL!!!

David S.

It's a great place to visit. I was in Helsinki in the summer of 2017 and found a great mix of older cars all over...not many full size trucks though...even saw a 90s Impala decked out like a US police cruiser, lowered, piloted by a guy holding a bottle of vodka out the window (in Tampere).

On 20.1.2019 at 10:44 PM, Erik Smith said:

It's a great place to visit. I was in Helsinki in the summer of 2017 and found a great mix of older cars all over...not many full size trucks though...even saw a 90s Impala decked out like a US police cruiser, lowered, piloted by a guy holding a bottle of vodka out the window (in Tampere).

Oh yeah I know that car. :P Once he did a good burnout while leaving a Cruising night in Tampere, of course with the sirens and police lights on.:D

You can see plenty of old US cars in the summer around here. Unfortunately in the winter not so much. In this link you can see some of the cars I saw on the road last year. Of course I saw lots of more cars, but these are the ones I was able to catch on camera: What Did You See On The Road 2018

4 hours ago, W-409 said:

Oh yeah I know that car. :P Once he did a good burnout while leaving a Cruising night in Tampere, of course with the sirens and police lights on.:D

You can see plenty of old US cars in the summer around here. Unfortunately in the winter not so much. In this link you can see some of the cars I saw on the road last year. Of course I saw lots of more cars, but these are the ones I was able to catch on camera: What Did You See On The Road 2018

Thank you for the pictures. I live in an area of the US that is often called "The Rust Belt" because of the chemicals used to treat the roads during the winter. Only get to see really nice old cars mainly during the summer months at Cruse Nights. The '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery got my eye as they are unusual even here. The Cadillac Hearse looks interesting. There appears to be a Parking Ticket on the windshield and an adult beverage can on the front fender. 

Unfortunately they are using pretty much road salt in here, too. Which is why it's pretty rare to see old cars during the winter months. Except that the road salt doesn't work when it's cold enough, so when it's really cold, it's possible to cruise around without having the salt all over your chassis. Now as it has been very cold for a while and yesterday evening the temp cage was showing -16 Fahrenheits, all of the roads are snowy as the road salt doesn't work.

That Cadillac Hearse was pictured at a Kustom Kulture Show parking lot. The city of Helsinki has decided that particular parking lot is not free, so if you're planning to park your car there for the whole day (like you have to do when you go to see the show), it's actually cheaper to take the parking ticket than pay for the whole day parking...:rolleyes:

Wow, that 330 P4 out in the wild, that is so cool!

I could post all the time on this thread, since Prescott has a bunch of car enthusiasts.  But this post is made with some emotion, because this is the last time I will turn off the highway to go home, with this '69 Chevy pickup.  I bought it from a friend, when he was losing his house, with the agreement that I sell it back to him when his mom's estate was resolved, it sat for a few years because I had not felt I owned it, but finally got it running and have enjoyed using it.  But our friendship fell apart because he was too much of a drunk, he made the choice to never talk to me.  I recently got an email from his nephew, asking if I still had it.  He also told me my friend died last year.  Because his grandpa bought it new in Safford, AZ, it was really sentimental to the family, so I am honoring the agreement.  I made a recycling run, then took the mountain bike to a trailhead, and today got a load of quartz rocks for landscaping.  It's been a great truck, will miss it.  And I have 3 kits so I can build a replica!

Oh yea, nice street rod.

IMG_9175_Fotor.jpg