Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

"A long time ago in a country far, far away"  (Actually June 2016 in Montreal during the run up to the Canadian GP)  They had closed a few streets downtown for a vendor/spectator fair.  Somehow, someone thought it a good idea to put this out in the Porsche display.

4oolF7d.jpg

nf8cffV.jpg

9wRxHJY.jpg

Dents, scrapes, rust...  Never realized carbon fiber could rust like that.

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Saw this last week. 

Whatever your belief system, I think everyone can agree with the message here.

Try being decent to each other. :)

20190215_120623.thumb.jpg.c642f4b655f6378ade636a19efa57def.jpg

No I don't agree with the first part of it, bit since that discussion is not for this forum, I'll leave it at that.

But, everyone have a great day!

Edited by 64SS350

On 2/16/2019 at 1:10 AM, misterNNL said:

We were coming home from Columbus,Oh yesterday north on I33 and got passed by a lifted pickup pulling the strangest trailer I ever saw. The trailer was about 20' long,divided into two length wise sections.The upper sides,roof and central divider were covered in heavy steel mesh. The floor and font wall were wooden. What first caught my eye as he blew by running at least 80 mph were the two rather crude large targets drawn on the inside of those wooden walls. I said to myselfelf "that's a little odd". The explanation for all of this oddness was the "Mobile Axe Throwing" sign hanging from the rear end. Really ?? Who thinks up stuff like that? Sorry but no photo as he was gone in a flash. At 80 within 10 miles of an Ohio Highway Patrol post he was really asking for a nice fat speeding ticket.

Apparently these are a "thing" these days. Googled and a bunch came up.

Related image

Some of you know I'm a stamp collector. One of my things is working on a New Jersey town postmark collection I started when I was 14.   Occasionally I get the chance to set myself a little road rally where I visit post offices to obtain their cancellation.  It gives me the opportunity to roam around and see the state, often places you wouldn't normally go.  I go by the USPS website for post office locations, and WAZE is my guiding force.  WAZE sends you on crazy routes sometimes, which is perfect for my purposes.

Wednesday I spent the day roaming back roads in Southern New Jersey.  I had taken major roads across the state going east, and took back roads coming back.  I saw a bunch of interesting things....

image.png.d5a8f7ef4544672d0b835bbbef6068d9.png

1956 Chevy dump truck.  Rusty as sin, not a decent panel on the cab.  Sign said it had 18,000 original miles and ran and drove.  $2800 if you dare!

I don't dare  but do you feel a model coming on?

image.png.85dbd67b0ef9a9951c02e7fa0b90d1af.png

image.png.6d7b47ea41a54a88eaae2b32cb0f03ab.png

The firehouse in Dorothy, New Jersey.  Originally the little building you see, and now there's a big addition to the left to house larger equipment and ambulances.

image.png.e5c4e09f116c25c868bb7f2ee2de396c.png

This 1957 Ranchero was just sitting out behind an old house.  Cool as all get up!  Looks to be sitting a while.

image.png.ed0f7371688560f2d5beac967aa2950e.png

Part of the fun is that rural post offices often are interesting architecture and picturesque town names.  Here's the post office in Cologne,  New Jersey.  And like some of the smaller offices, it was closed for lunch between 2 and 2:30pm, so I wasn't able to get my postmark.  I saw the streets in the town had German names and the Renault Winery was just down the road.  And the Bulldog Pub looked inviting.   I had never been in this area before, but it begs for a return trip to do some wine tasting.  

image.png.d2a325c6766c6549e27744622561f13f.png

I had to stop and get a photo of this one.  1996 era Caravan up on a pole as the sign for American Recycling in Mays Landing, NJ.  And then I noticed a new one sitting near by so it had to be in the photo...

image.png.1331efcdfa3786ee8f2b156fc8ca07f8.png

Here's the post office at Estell Manor, New Jersey.   Tiny little building.  Friendly staff who was pleased that I liked their town.  Gotta love these small town names!

image.png.f739c67e43d9c82a51e4efe166db0923.png

And yes I got my postmark!

For those interested,  I maintain the database of New Jersey towns past and present.  There are 2193 possible post marks, some from offices that were open only a short time.  This listing is a work in progress so the number changes regularly as I do research and people feed me information.  I currently have 829 of these for 38% completion.  

I have friends who want to take a "Postal Run" with me someday. Not for the faint hearted because I keep on moving.  Wednesday I covered over 300 miles!  I visited 12 post offices and added 11 new cancels to my collection.   I try to do this with some urgency since the small offices are always in danger of closing.  In fact, I recently learned that the Port Republic, NJ post office recently closed.  Fortunately I have that one in the collection already.

If anyone is interested in this lunacy  (hey, you guys build model cars!) I post full accounts of my travels on a stamp collecting website. I'd be happy to steer you to my articles.

8 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Some of you know I'm a stamp collector. One of my things is working on a New Jersey town postmark collection I started when I was 14.   Occasionally I get the chance to set myself a little road rally where I visit post offices to obtain their cancellation.  It gives me the opportunity to roam around and see the state, often places you wouldn't normally go.  I go by the USPS website for post office locations, and WAZE is my guiding force.  WAZE sends you on crazy routes sometimes, which is perfect for my purposes.

Wednesday I spent the day roaming back roads in Southern New Jersey.  I had taken major roads across the state going east, and took back roads coming back.  I saw a bunch of interesting things....

image.png.d5a8f7ef4544672d0b835bbbef6068d9.png

1956 Chevy dump truck.  Rusty as sin, not a decent panel on the cab.  Sign said it had 18,000 original miles and ran and drove.  $2800 if you dare!

I don't dare  but do you feel a model coming on?

image.png.85dbd67b0ef9a9951c02e7fa0b90d1af.png

image.png.6d7b47ea41a54a88eaae2b32cb0f03ab.png

The firehouse in Dorothy, New Jersey.  Originally the little building you see, and now there's a big addition to the left to house larger equipment and ambulances.

image.png.e5c4e09f116c25c868bb7f2ee2de396c.png

This 1957 Ranchero was just sitting out behind an old house.  Cool as all get up!  Looks to be sitting a while.

image.png.ed0f7371688560f2d5beac967aa2950e.png

Part of the fun is that rural post offices often are interesting architecture and picturesque town names.  Here's the post office in Cologne,  New Jersey.  And like some of the smaller offices, it was closed for lunch between 2 and 2:30pm, so I wasn't able to get my postmark.  I saw the streets in the town had German names and the Renault Winery was just down the road.  And the Bulldog Pub looked inviting.   I had never been in this area before, but it begs for a return trip to do some wine tasting.  

image.png.d2a325c6766c6549e27744622561f13f.png

I had to stop and get a photo of this one.  1996 era Caravan up on a pole as the sign for American Recycling in Mays Landing, NJ.  And then I noticed a new one sitting near by so it had to be in the photo...

image.png.1331efcdfa3786ee8f2b156fc8ca07f8.png

Here's the post office at Estell Manor, New Jersey.   Tiny little building.  Friendly staff who was pleased that I liked their town.  Gotta love these small town names!

image.png.f739c67e43d9c82a51e4efe166db0923.png

And yes I got my postmark!

For those interested,  I maintain the database of New Jersey towns past and present.  There are 2193 possible post marks, some from offices that were open only a short time.  This listing is a work in progress so the number changes regularly as I do research and people feed me information.  I currently have 829 of these for 38% completion.  

I have friends who want to take a "Postal Run" with me someday. Not for the faint hearted because I keep on moving.  Wednesday I covered over 300 miles!  I visited 12 post offices and added 11 new cancels to my collection.   I try to do this with some urgency since the small offices are always in danger of closing.  In fact, I recently learned that the Port Republic, NJ post office recently closed.  Fortunately I have that one in the collection already.

If anyone is interested in this lunacy  (hey, you guys build model cars!) I post full accounts of my travels on a stamp collecting website. I'd be happy to steer you to my articles.

Hey Tom, I am not a stamp collector but found this very interesting.  You should post your next adventure.  Very interesting indeed.

I have to agree with DumpyDan, this sounds like an interesting way to spend a day. I did a little stamp collecting when I was 6 to about 10 years old. Where stamps were coming from I.E. their post mark was always part of the deal. Wondering what that place must be like. I also would enjoy reading of your adventures and travels.  The Ford Ranchero opens a question as to the exact year model. Looking at the picture I see '58 side trim and a '58 hood. The front fenders and grill are '57. Ford used the same tail lights on both year models. This type of sheet metal interchange was somewhat common years ago. All of the parts pretty much interchange. Sometimes an owner would go to a wrecking yard and use a '58 front end front end to update their '57 and sometimes owners would go the other way because they didn't like the 4 headlamp look. There were several that even went so far as adding an Edsel front end. You may laugh now, but at the time this got a lot of attention and in a good way. Often this was done to fix body damage from an accident or the effects of road salt. 

Yesterday night when Cruising in Helsinki, Finland with my Chevy S10, I saw this clean Mazda Marella. These things used to be fairly common back in the day, but they had pretty bad rust issues so nowadays they are getting pretty rare.

P3090558.JPG?img=medium

And a bit later, I drove past this small parking lot and saw a '64 Dodge Dart, so I had to stop by and check it out. Not the cleanest that I've seen, but not bad either. Really good looking car, and definitely better looking than the newer (and more common) Darts...

P3100559.JPG?img=medium

P3100560.JPG?img=medium

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 11:08 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Ok what is up with the import?I don't even know what kind of car that is.But the Charger,and the Fury are very cool looking cars just sitting there..The other car should be crushed or burned:lol:,or driven off a cliff.

IMG_7509.JPG

IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7511.JPG

Not sure - caught my eye though with that paint! (Or wrap, if that’s what it is)

51 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Not sure - caught my eye though with that paint! (Or wrap, if that’s what it is)

NISSAN  GT-R. 

The 2019 model lists at $99,990 according to Google.
Why someone did that to the car shown, is beyond me.