Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

8 hours ago, Russell C said:

Chugging along at probably not much over 50mph, a bit of a different kind of Willys wagon.

Reminds me of  a story...   One year I was driving back to New Jersey from the Toledo NNL on Route 80 across Pennsylvania.  It's like six hours across the state.  I came upon a 1960s VW van.  Typical hippy van, Vermont plate.  As you said, chugging along at maybe 50 mph!    I passed it and kept moving at around 80 mph.   I'd stop at a rest stop about once an hour.  And shortly thereafter I'd pass that same van again!  It happened several times.  That driver must've had an iron bladder because I don't think he had ever stopped.

9 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Reminds me of  a story...   One year I was driving back to New Jersey from the Toledo NNL on Route 80 across Pennsylvania.  It's like six hours across the state.  I came upon a 1960s VW van.  Typical hippy van, Vermont plate.  As you said, chugging along at maybe 50 mph!    I passed it and kept moving at around 80 mph.   I'd stop at a rest stop about once an hour.  And shortly thereafter I'd pass that same van again!  It happened several times.  That driver must've had an iron bladder because I don't think he had ever stopped.

About 20 years ago I was out sight seeing in Colorado and came upon a Trabant struggling to get up a long, steep hill...probably doing 25 mph.  Maybe 50 miles down the road, I stopped for lunch, and came out and the Trabant was pulling into the parking lot beside me.   Chatted a bit w/ the couple in the Trabant...they were from Germany and had shipped it to the US and had started in NY and were driving it to California.  a very long, very slow drive. 

3 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

About 20 years ago I was out sight seeing in Colorado and came upon a Trabant struggling to get up a long, steep hill...probably doing 25 mph.  Maybe 50 miles down the road, I stopped for lunch, and came out and the Trabant was pulling into the parking lot beside me.   Chatted a bit w/ the couple in the Trabant...they were from Germany and had shipped it to the US and had started in NY and were driving it to California.  a very long, very slow drive. 

and you reminded me of a tourist story...

I was headed home from work one Friday evening and spied a large Fiat motor home sitting in a supermarket parking lot.  I stopped to take a look and a family was sitting in lawn chairs eating dinner.  The man spoke English and he liked that I was interested in his vehicle.   He asked me if I knew a good place to park overnight where he could hook up to electric...  I thought for a minute and replied,  "My driveway!"  This was before we carried cell phones or had email so my wife was surprised when I pull up with this motor home following me.

We invited them in for the evening, and it was interesting.  The man and his wife sat with my wife and I and he did the talking, and translated for his wife.  They had a daughter with them and my two daughters got a kick out of entertaining her, although they couldn't communicate!   I asked him if he was concerned about driving a Fiat in America regarding spare parts and service.  He said that it was very reliable and he didn't expect any issues,  but it had the same chassis and diesel that the Ivecko trucks Fiat was selling there at the time.

The next day we loaded them in our minivan and showed them around Monmouth County... took their photo out front of the Stone Pony in Asbury Park and some spots they wouldn't have thought of. It's good to know the locals. One of those spots was the Keansburg boardwalk, where they still have 1930s  antique rides.  Introduced them to boardwalk  sausage sandwiches!  They stayed a second night and were gone when we woke up on Sunday.  They were headed towards Philadelphia and then Washington DC.  

And interesting enough last evening my wife and I went for a bite at our favorite local pub.  There was a couple from Belgium sitting at the bar with us.  They were doing the tourist thing and wound up in Exton for the night just out of luck!  

43 minutes ago, Perspective Customs said:

.... A stretched Jeep Wrangler?

Some do serve a legit purpose. My pic below of our tour driver taking a pic of my fellow offroad tourists back in 2005 at the top of Hurricane Pass. I vacation every summer right near Ouray Colorado, lost track of the number of times I've ridden in this one with my SOA Jeep Tours friends.

5cb7eaa5056a3_SOATrueGrit.JPG.3812081392b7fc718548c373214636e4.JPG

Yesterday at about 10:30 in the morning I saw a Ford Model A two-door (in stock form) then that evening in another town I saw a Jaguar XJ-S (1980s, I think).

A few days ago I saw a Model T, in restored form.  The couple who got in it were a heck of a lot younger than what you might expect to see driving such a conveyance!

3 minutes ago, espo said:

Looks clean, and very basic. Never seen one before. What is it I'm looking at and how old is it ?  

Triumph Dolomite.  They were made '72-80, though I'm used to seeing photos of them with 4 round headlights. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Dolomite

Edited by Rob Hall

7 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Still has the UK licence plates under the NY plates too!

There was a maroon Riley Elf like that in Denver..UK number plates under Colorado plates.   Neat little cars.

Edited by Rob Hall

Magazine doing a comparison test of high-end, high-performance SUVs on Angeles Forest Highway?  Lamborghini Urus, Jaguar something-or-other and a couple of black vehicles I didn't get a good look at, probably a Cayenne and ???

Also later I saw a Sterling sedan (80s Rover/Honda collaboration).

Some more cool stuff from in and around New York this past week or two:

Saw a TV shoot for an FX show with a load of old 80s Fords and Chevys and so on:

2v2ERZ7kMxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ERZ7izxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ERZ7gdxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ERZ7qrxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ERfPbLxue8Lf.jpg

This was near my place (in Brooklyn)...looked ok from this angle:

2v2ERBa75xue8Lf.jpg

Significantly worse from this side though :D

2v2ERBasrxue8Lf.jpg

Some kind of Lamborghini in Chelsea:

2v2ERBak8xue8Lf.jpg

Super clean!