Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

7 hours ago, robdebie said:

Just a few random photos of yesterday's Saturday Night Cruise in The Hague, The Netherlands. The weather was great, so there was a big turnout in cars and people.

dsc_34046a.jpg

dsc_34011a.jpg

dsc_34043a.jpg

dsc_34017a.jpg

dsc_34020a.jpg

Rob

That 1950 (?) Ford-that is the first car I ever remember-period.  My parents had one, down to that color.  I recall standing up on the back seat, looking at the cars behind us.  I'm surprised we survived that era-no seat belts (or seat belt laws), no safety glass, no car seats.  I can't imagine what it would cost to fill the 67 Galaxie with gas in NL.  A small house payment I'd imagine.  That last one, you can keep over there.

Edited by The Junkman

Last weekend I saw a Muntz Jet on I-55 in Missouri. First real one I've ever seen. Also, there was a 65 T-bird, 69 Camaro, 64 Impala. Today, I saw a 71 Chevelle on the road, a 66 T-bird in a driveway, a 59 Plymouth 4 door sitting by a barn, and a 68 Chevy longbed pickup in a yard.

On 6/2/2019 at 10:36 PM, The Junkman said:

That 1950 (?) Ford-that is the first car I ever remember-period.  My parents had one, down to that color.  I recall standing up on the back seat, looking at the cars behind us.  I'm surprised we survived that era-no seat belts (or seat belt laws), no safety glass, no car seats.  I can't imagine what it would cost to fill the 67 Galaxie with gas in NL.  A small house payment I'd imagine.  That last one, you can keep over there.

I liked that 50 Ford too, because it's one of the models that I'm building very slowly (https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/49ford.htm). It had more roomleg in the rear than I expected.

Gas is around 7$ per gallon right now. It's not so much that price but the engine's efficiency I guess. Many American cars in the Netherlands were run on very cheap LPG (40% of the cost of gas) but I think that new laws made that impossible.

The Stutz is pretty ugly indeed. But still I appreciate that the owner maintains it, and shows it.

Rob

54 minutes ago, robdebie said:

I liked that 50 Ford too, because it's one of the models that I'm building very slowly (https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/49ford.htm). It had more roomleg in the rear than I expected.

Gas is around 7$ per gallon right now. It's not so much that price but the engine's efficiency I guess. Many American cars in the Netherlands were run on very cheap LPG (40% of the cost of gas) but I think that new laws made that impossible.

The Stutz is pretty ugly indeed. But still I appreciate that the owner maintains it, and shows it.

Rob

I also share your appreciation of the "Shoe Box" Fords from '49 thru '51. I personally have owned a few and had a '51 that I have always regretted selling. Your story of your families '50 Ford remind me of the new '49 black 4 door that we had. I remember as a child ridding in the back seat when my father couldn't stop in the snow and ran into the rear of a school bus. I bounced around in the back ricocheting off the back of the front seat and landing on the floor. I guess that's why I have always thought seat belts are a good idea. The Ford dealer repaired the car by replacing almost all the sheet metal from the windshield forward. 

7 hours ago, espo said:

I also share your appreciation of the "Shoe Box" Fords from '49 thru '51. I personally have owned a few and had a '51 that I have always regretted selling. Your story of your families '50 Ford remind me of the new '49 black 4 door that we had. I remember as a child ridding in the back seat when my father couldn't stop in the snow and ran into the rear of a school bus. I bounced around in the back ricocheting off the back of the front seat and landing on the floor. I guess that's why I have always thought seat belts are a good idea. The Ford dealer repaired the car by replacing almost all the sheet metal from the windshield forward. 

Do you mind a question about the '49 thru '51 Fords ? I recently added the following section to my webpage (https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/49ford.htm) and it could do with a critical review. It's not critical for the webpage but I prefer to present correct information :)

Rob

- - - - -

The 1949 Ford was Ford's first all-new car after World War II. It was built in the following body styles:

• 2-door sedan aka 'Tudor Sedan'

• 4-door sedan aka 'Fordor Sedan'

• 2-door coupe aka 'Club Coupe' with front and rear bench seats

• 2-door coupe aka 'Business Coupe' with just a front bench seat, no rear seats

• 2-door hardtop

• 2-door convertible

• 2-door station wagon

These versions could be ordered with the less-expensive 'Standard' or more expensive 'Custom' trim levels, making for example a 'Custom Club Coupe'. This is what the standard version in this AMT kit represents. The first boxing is also clear about this (see below).

16 minutes ago, robdebie said:

Do you mind a question about the '49 thru '51 Fords ? I recently added the following section to my webpage (https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/49ford.htm) and it could do with a critical review. It's not critical for the webpage but I prefer to present correct information :)

Rob

- - - - -

The 1949 Ford was Ford's first all-new car after World War II. It was built in the following body styles:

• 2-door hardtop

• 2-door convertible

• 2-door station wagon

These versions could be ordered with the less-expensive 'Standard' or more expensive 'Custom' trim levels, making for example a 'Custom Club Coupe'. This is what the standard version in this AMT kit represents. The first boxing is also clear about this (see below).

Note that the 2dr hardtop wasn't added to the range until 1951, as the Victoria. 

First one of these I've seen in the wild... new M4 Spider, which shares a lot mechanically  with the new Toyotas Supra...

M4-19.jpg.9570994453ccccaec57c74e2809290da.jpg

I was looking at it as I walked up the road, and from a distance, my first thought was "Gosh, that Abarth 128 body kit really makes an MX-5 look a lot bigger, doiesn't it?"

best,

M.

15 hours ago, robdebie said:

Rob

- - - - -

• 2-door hardtop

• 2-door convertible

• 2-door station wagon

The Club Coupe, at lest in my mind, refers to the short roof two door body style. The AMT '49 Ford issued kit is a very good representation of this body style. This 1:1 model was offered with a full interior in both standard and deluxe. Ford also offered this as a "Business Man" special with no back seat. At that time it was somewhat common for a salesman to travel with samples or even delivering of their products. An interesting side note about engines. Most people think of the Flat Head V8 and I do think Ford sold far more of them than their standard Flat Head in line 6 cylinder. In stock form the 6 cylinder was short of the V8's horse power by very little and the torque out put of the 6 was almost the same.