Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Took a drive over to the local Ferrari dealer at dusk to cool off. The standouts in the window were a 275 GTB and an Enzo. It's not often you see $8 million+ worth of cars sitting in a showroom.

Father's Day car show at a friend's church had some interesting pieces too. A '58 deuce-and-a-half was my favorite. Nothing else sounds or smells like those things. A nice daily driver 427 Stingray convert, a big-block powered '37 Packard 120 convert and a fine dual-quad Y-block engined '57 Ford post also got my attention.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

No time to take a picture so let me explain. We were out and about Sunday and heading home. We live in a semirural area and traffic is often light even on a Sunday. We got off the heavily traveled I70 on 11o th street that is a 4 lane that wraps around Kansas Speedway and except for rush hour or when there is something going on traffic is minimal and posted at 45 mph. We weren't in a hurry and rather than my usual 50 mph or more I was just cruising along. We round the bend in the road and there is a Shariff's car pulling over someone for speeding. We drive about 2 miles too the road that takes us toward our home which is also a 4 lane but marked 50 mph. We get about a quarter of a mile down the road and I see a car closing extremely fast . We get passed by a new Corvette, still has the temp tags on it. We were going maybe 55 mph and he had to be doing at least double that and of course he has to shift up as he passes us. If you haven't had an opportunity to hear one of the new Corvettes "go full song" it is special I assure you. My wife even said "that was fun" talking about the driver. A moment later here comes a Shariff's Charger all light up like a Christmas tree and gaining on the Corvette. A couple on miles up the road we see the poor guy in the Corvette looking very sad and the Shariff is writing a book or something. My thought is that's going to cost more than his next couple of car payments and that's not to mention his insurance bill.   

First off, thought I saw Harry's Mustang today......wonder if it ever left the area, come to think of it.....

Then tonight, I discovered there is an active PT Cruiser Club in the area, saw nearly a dozen cruise night prepped PT's, including a convertable at at least 1 Turbo GT. No joke, I think every one of the owners were older that my parents.....who themselves are now on the far side of their 70's:blink:

Got to play with this today. 2017 Maserati Levante S. We just repo'd it. Leased it out two years ago. The client went and put tacky limo tint on it, then parked it. And literally fled the country. The CFO and VP at his company have been unable to reach him for the past 6 months. Over the past few months, the company accounts have been drained. Money goes out faster than it goes in. All through the owner's cards. They lawyered up, and were told they could shut down the company. So they did.

Theis two year old vehicle now has only 440km on it. And two brand new batteries.

20190619_091444.thumb.jpg.94dba89ae8a125d7782a9998aeee089d.jpg

10 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Got to play with this today. 2017 Maserati Levante S. We just repo'd it. Leased it out two years ago. The client went and put tacky limo tint on it, then parked it. And literally fled the country. The CFO and VP at his company have been unable to reach him for the past 6 months. Over the past few months, the company accounts have been drained. Money goes out faster than it goes in. All through the owner's cards. They lawyered up, and were told they could shut down the company. So they did.

Theis two year old vehicle now has only 440km on it. And two brand new batteries.

20190619_091444.thumb.jpg.94dba89ae8a125d7782a9998aeee089d.jpg

Dan, you get to play with great "toys".

1 hour ago, peter31a said:

Dan, you get to play with great "toys".

Yeah, sometimes! We specialize in commercial vehicles, but lately we've been getting a lot of decidedly non-commercial things rolling through.

There's another rolling in within the hour. Should be fun. :)

It was the Coney Island Mermaid Parade yesterday, and whilst it's mostly all about women dressing up as mermaids or putting bikinis on (or not putting bikinis on at all, in a load of cases) there's also a small convey of classic cars that open out the festivities:

2v2ESSuByxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSuPFxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSuCdxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSuq8xue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSuGrxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSuFMxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSu8Gxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSJoFxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSJ2dxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSJvLxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSJUgxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSJ9Wxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSJadxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSJZLxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESSJQgxue8Lf.jpg

And I saw this on the way there:

2v2ESSJbWxue8Lf.jpg

2018 Yukon Denali...with a Whipple supercharger and a ridiculously loud exhaust. All chrome trim has been colour matched. 3/5 drop and some ugly wheels. Pretty cool, but not sure who this is supposed to appeal to. I'm a huge fan of the aftermarket, but this thing is loud and rides like a lumberwagon. Still...I kinda want it. :P

20190620_135319.thumb.jpg.a203ad3894405f703dd70b40eb900c1c.jpg

20190620_135354.thumb.jpg.cea859d34f2cdc84e8f541c4bb24f794.jpg

The Whipple is cool. The lowering is cool, if done correctly. The Wheels are an acquired taste at best. I'd have the shop check out the suspension and just how they had it lowered. Some suspension kits will put the rear shocks at such an angle that they bind during their travel and can cause the rear to bounce on rough surfaces. In the front it sounds like they used more than drop spindles. If the front springs are to short the front end will be bouncing off the bump stops, this will be easy to see if the lower control arms are hitting the bump stops. Correcting a few iteams and you have a very cool "Burban.     

I never have my camera along when I need it. I saw a 'barn find' '65 Mustang and '69 Ford F-100 in two different yards while out and about today.

I also saw one like this today:

1991-buick-riviera-timeless-coupe-just-3

'90 or '91 Buick Riviera.

And to follow-up my post of my aunt's Starmist Blue 1957 Porthole T-Bird, check out this exquisite cherry red 1955 Thunderbird, which was parked at the Tiki Bar down the shore in Jersey. It sports the so-called "Continental Kit", which was not a Ford Motor Company factory option. The kit added the spare tire extension on the back, among other things, which look great on this beautiful convertible.

21587347_1819415881409881_3536787727965398269_o.jpg

21762488_1819421124742690_7808608240224170277_o.jpg

21551950_1819421824742620_2605054337243450177_o.jpg

21586695_1819420024742800_1182157464268707978_o.jpg

Edited by Mike Dobrzelecki

This past Friday I was driving down my least favorite highway, south on I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix and I checked my mirror and saw a Ford GT about to pass me, along with some other vehicles. The Ford GT was a metallic blue, very low and very slick looking. Arizona plates. I have to add that I hate driving my 2012 Jeep down that road with all the traffic and rude drivers. I cannot imagine driving a 1/2 million dollar car on that road. I am guessing that will be the only Ford GT I will see on the highway, ever. It was quite beautiful looking :)