Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

On 9/14/2019 at 9:56 PM, Pete J. said:

Not sure why this is what it is but it is interesting.  It is the new Toyota Supra, but it is in concealment camouflage.   I took this Friday on the 405 just north of LAX.  The only thing I can figure out is that it might be a new version or a mule for something.  The cars are at dealers now so there is no real reason to conceal it.  

Supra in camo.jpg

We have a local auto window tint place that also does wraps to change colors or add logos from company vehicles. This wouldn't be hard for them to do. As you pointed out this cars is in the showrooms now. Could just be someone feeding their ego since most of the manufactures prefer to do their testing in more remote areas away from preying eyes. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

We have a local auto window tint place that also does wraps to change colors or add logos from company vehicles. This wouldn't be hard for them to do. As you pointed out this cars is in the showrooms now. Could just be someone feeding their ego since most of the manufactures prefer to do their testing in more remote areas away from preying eyes. 

If you blow up the photo you'll note that it has California distributor license plates.  Its for companies other than dealers and manufacturers who deal in new vehicle distribution (naturally).  Third parties, independent agents, lessors.  The center numbers identify the company and the little numbers on the right side identify the specific plate issued to the company.  The distributor pays for any number of plates but only one has to be put on the car and could be attached to another car next week.  Since the Supra is already on the market and its not a Toyota company owned car, I'd say its probably been wrapped for a future customer of the distributor.

Edited by The Junkman

1 hour ago, The Junkman said:

If you blow up the photo you'll note that it has California distributor license plates.  Its for companies other than dealers and manufacturers who deal in new vehicle distribution (naturally).  Third parties, independent agents, lessors.  The center numbers identify the company and the little numbers on the right side identify the specific plate issued to the company.  The distributor pays for any number of plates but only one has to be put on the car and could be attached to another car next week.  Since the Supra is already on the market and its not a Toyota company owned car, I'd say its probably been wrapped for a future customer of the distributor.

I was wondering about the plates.  It just seems kind of weird that they would wrap the rear and side windows like that.  I've seen cars wrapped for shipping on rail cars or car transporters with that kind of wrap but generally all the windows are covered. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

Probably a prototype for a variation..there will likely be further performance variants of the Supra...definitely looks like a factory disguised prototype. 

5 hours ago, crazyjim said:

That's nothing.  We get 800,000 bikes for the Rolling Thunder demonstration ride.

really cant tell how many bikes were there but they claim to be the biggest show on the east coast and  third largest bike show with daytona first then sturgeis but i cant say that for sure?

vince

23 hours ago, The Junkman said:

I didn't even notice the license plate, my bad. Your correct this could very well be a future model undergoing testing. With some of the testing facilities that most manufactures have in the western part of the country does make one wonder why this is out in the public. unless they're wanting some attention for their product, it's not like this wouldn't kind of stand out in traffic.  

23 minutes ago, espo said:

I didn't even notice the license plate, my bad. Your correct this could very well be a future model undergoing testing. With some of the testing facilities that most manufactures have in the western part of the country does make one wonder why this is out in the public. unless they're wanting some attention for their product, it's not like this wouldn't kind of stand out in traffic.  

I used to drive through Montvale, NJ on my way to work.  That is home to Mercedes, Smart, BMW, Mini and a few others.  It was a regular occurrence to see cars wrapped like this on the road with manufacturer plates.  We also would see the full line of Smart cars sold in Europe, and odd makes like Renault and Peugeot that aren't sold here, all with manufacturer plates on them.  The Montvale police department had at least one Mercedes SUV in their fleet, donated by Mercedes.

We moved to Kansas in the summer of '96. I think it is safe to say this is area not the hot bed of automotive manufacture testing. Prior to that I lived in both southern and northern California for over 30 years. You soon forget just how different the automotive landscape really is between the two different areas.  

54 minutes ago, espo said:

We moved to Kansas in the summer of '96. I think it is safe to say this is area not the hot bed of automotive manufacture testing. Prior to that I lived in both southern and northern California for over 30 years. You soon forget just how different the automotive landscape really is between the two different areas.  

I too had forgotten, but in the opposite direction.  I've lived in the middle of the US for the majority of my life, until moving to SoCal 31 years ago, but I still remember my shock at the number of older cars on the road at the time.  In the flyover states those cars rust away and become derelicts relatively quickly.  Here in SoCal, the dry weather and lack of salt on the roads, means they last much longer and that doesn't take into account a car culture that loves to preserve or modify old cars.  I drive through LA twice a month and am never too impressed at the number of exotics I see.  It is common place to see Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mclaren and other vehicles on the road. I don't even notice Porsche, BMW or Mercedes unless it happens to be a rare model like a GT3, M1 or an SLR.  It really takes something like a camouflage wrapped Supra to stand out. 

I lived in New Jersey and was surprised when I went to Denver, Colorado all the old cars on the road there!  Yes, they get snow, but they don't use road salts like in the North East!    Early evening I would just stand outside my hotel and watch the cars go by!  Other times I stopped into cheapie used car dealers and saw things like '71 Dusters with no visible rust!  They thought nothing of it but it was amazing to me. I always anticipated on one of my business trips to Denver, I'd get a one way ticket and drive something interesting and solid back to NJ.  Unfortunately my trips ended abruptly and I never got that chance.

A buddy-0-mine had a brother who moved to Tennessee.  He wanted a late 70s Firebird and his brother found him a rust free example. He did drive it back to NJ and had it the last time I saw him maybe 15 years ago.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:17 PM, espo said:

It might be to test out cooling in different tempratures or something like that. land rover didn't do that so now the Aussies buy Japanese 4x4s