Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Beautiful fall day here in Cleveland...saw a sharp gold '72 Cutlass convertible rolling w/ the top down.  

Went out this evening to see Bruce Springsteen's concert film 'Western Stars' (beautiful film, beautiful music) , and I parked next to a new Jeep Gladiator Rubicon at the theatre...first I'd seen in the wild.

There was a great Jeep Wrangler ad before the film..

IMG-2901.jpg

In Sonoma Ca, (affluent town with big tourist scene) among all the late model Corvettes, a teal blue Porsche GT3, and an absolutely sanitary 55-57 black T-bird convertible-there was a classic Lotus Ford Cortina in the equally classic white with green side spear.  Haven't seen one in probably 25-30 years.  Oh, and a partial white vinyl over blue 75-76 Chevy Monte Carlo.  All in all a good day.

Edited by The Junkman

Not something one usually sees , let alone in an Autozone parking lot of all places.

Car was there yesterday afternoon which what I assume was a bent rim and/or bad tire ( tire was marked with blue tape on the sidewall )

I'm pretty sure it was one of these, ( I dont know exotics very well ,,,,,plus didnt have my camera or phone on me )

640x480

Edited by gtx6970

On US101 south of Cloverdale, CA.  3 (three) Duesenberg Model J's.  Traveling together.  2 sedans and a roadster.  I was driving and my wife is tech phobic as far a camera phones are concerned so no photos  I'd never seen one outside of a museum but to see 3 in the wild....  Figure it had to be some event or a magazine article or something.  Still only about $4-5 million worth of cars in 100 yards of space.

I don't know if this is the right place for this since it has to do with what the driver of a car was doing. Yesterday in my travels I was interring a round about and had to stop to give this guy the right of way. As he drove in front of me I could see that he had one of those Halloween skeletons in the passenger seat with the seat belt holding it in place. He know everyone was looking, you could tell by the big smile on his face.  

9 minutes ago, espo said:

Interesting looking pick-up. The cab area looks like a normal Studebaker Lark and the bed looks a lot like a Ford bed. 

That is the stock bed on these trucks. My friend just sold his. They were purchased from another company by Studebaker. Something about money problems for tooling. What a shame that they could not do a bed for these trucks that fit the cab better. Someplace around  62 for the year. 

Just now, 1930fordpickup said:

That is the stock bed on these trucks. My friend just sold his. They were purchased from another company by Studebaker. Something about money problems for tooling. What a shame that they could not do a bed for these trucks that fit the cab better. Someplace around  62 for the year. 

I have to agree. I always thought the Studebakers in general were good cars. My experience was long ago and they were all very high mileage cars as that was about I and several of my friends could afford. These cars were built like an anvil and nothing we could do would kill them. As for Studebaker the company, they were underfunded and using a generic pickup beds was this least expensive way to bring the pick-up to market. 

1 minute ago, espo said:

I have to agree. I always thought the Studebakers in general were good cars. My experience was long ago and they were all very high mileage cars as that was about I and several of my friends could afford. These cars were built like an anvil and nothing we could do would kill them. As for Studebaker the company, they were underfunded and using a generic pickup beds was this least expensive way to bring the pick-up to market. 

There big problem was rust in bad spots. My friend that sold the truck has a project short bus another pickup from the 50's and several cars. The ones that do run, run well and are smooth. 

2 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

There big problem was rust in bad spots. My friend that sold the truck has a project short bus another pickup from the 50's and several cars. The ones that do run, run well and are smooth. 

The old flat head six with three speed and overdrive would give you mid 20 mpg all day long with your foot in it all the time.   

1 hour ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I had a 63 Lark with extensive rust in structural areas. We deemed it not worth fixing and I parted it out

This morning on Rte 147 North just off of Rte 322 heading into Halifax (not far from where I live now) I had a red 1965 Ford Galaxie convertible right in front of me. He cut it loose on the straight away and whatever was in that was putting out some pretty strong exhaust as it seemed to be running rich. Perhaps a 390 in it as it was really strong sounding. No pics unfortunately and I'm not sure I could have taken 'em as we were moving along at a pretty good clip.

I saw this truck this morning and had to go back for pics met the guy that owns it and he told me all about it! 34 Chevy 1 ton Built on an international chassis with the international diesel in it four wheel drive in the rear just plain cool! Also the vw with the 40' ford nose it's been there for a long time but still neat!

vince

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The VW looks like a very rare model, I can't remember what they're called. I was watching a show last week that was in SoCal and everyone was getting excited over what looks like the same car but with a stock frontend. They made it sound like this is a very valuable car. You might want to check it out and see if this isn't something special. You may want to buy it and restore it, the program made it sound like it could be a profitable venture.  

15 hours ago, espo said:

The VW looks like a very rare model, I can't remember what they're called. I was watching a show last week that was in SoCal and everyone was getting excited over what looks like the same car but with a stock frontend. They made it sound like this is a very valuable car. You might want to check it out and see if this isn't something special. You may want to buy it and restore it, the program made it sound like it could be a profitable venture.  

Looks like a Hebmueller.  Maybe a fiberglass replica?