Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

I had to go to the hardware store yesterday for some chain saw oil. In the parking lot was a stock but well worn '57 Thunderbird. I hope they have a good battery since they left their parking lamps on. The day was nice upper 60's with no clouds and it seemed like everyone who had a nice older car where out stretching it's tires.  

On 4/11/2020 at 10:42 PM, Rodent said:

Not on the road, but in a parking lot near home as I was walking home from a local grocery store.  Haven't seen a Yugo in forever.  Not sure where  it was going, but it had Michigan plates.

IMG_20200411_123812.jpg

What I find amusing is the juxtaposition of the Yugo next to the Mercedes, all on the same transporter.  And note that this is not just a Yugo - it is a SPORT Yugo!  :D

I also can't remember the last time I have seen a Yugo anywhere. I think it was about 20 years ago at my local junkyard (um, "used car parts dealer").

On 5/22/2020 at 2:32 PM, Rob Hall said:

Saw a clean '55 Chevy Nomad in aqua w/ a white roof driving around my neighborhood yesterday.

I was out on Friday and saw a 55 2 door sedan in a gas station and 56 hardtop getting ready to enter the road. My favorite was a patina 56 4 door sedan driving the opposite direction.

So I'm waiting to pull out on the Van Buren Blvd and I see this coming at me. It's sucking up all the light in the sky. "What is that!?" If flys by with a very throaty rumble. I get in behind it and then next to it. My wife snaps the best pics she can. It is my favorite full size car! The gloss black is miles deep and the body is super straight. You can't see the front but it has a split bumper so the grill can go first into the wind. EVERYTHING is blacked out... All the chrome is gloss black and the windows have good tint, but you could still see inside. I am guessing those stock rims will be replaced. This has to be my favorite car I've seen in a long time!

IMG_2203-vi.jpg

IMG_2202-vi.jpg

Actually, I like those stock rims on the blacked out Riviera - they add a little visual contrast and interest.  They look new and clean, so I hope he keeps them.

I did something similar on my Camaro in the '80s.  I chose a complete black/white theme, but the aluminum Centerline wheels, and custom chrome grille gave the car just a little more visual interest.

Camaro05_roll15a_1986SM.jpg.9d95650bda8d528272055fa265a570da.jpgCamaro01_roll17SM.jpg.57c5c3aa29e6ed53371276711eb14433.jpg

4 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

My wife snaps the best pics she can. It is my favorite full size car! 

Cool. My wife would still have been search all the pockets in her purse for her phone! Once she found it in the absolute bottom of the main section, she’d find out her battery went dead!  ?

1 hour ago, Earl Marischal said:

Seen in the Howden Co-op car park this morning. Ford Granada Ghia. The interior was equally clean.

I drove one of those briefly in Jamaica many years ago. I was interested in all the interesting cars I saw there. I even have photos of an Australian Valiant. It was also interesting that the taxis were all Chevy Malibu’s. Now I realize they were probably those Iraqi Taxis dumped here from Canada. LHD cars in a RHD country.

There was a Hertz car rental up the road from our resort. I walked there and asked to rent the Granada.  I drove it around locally for maybe a half hour and brought it back. That confused the counter guy. I explained that I was a car enthusiast and just wanted to drive an interesting car, especially since I had never driven RHD before. 

The guy asked me if there was anything else I wanted to drive?  He let me test drive another couple cars including a Toyota van with 5 speed on the column.

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Parked next to '49/'51 Ford at the supermarket.  All black and in very good condition, too!

IMG_0908.JPG

That is a fine original looking 1950 Custom model. This one is about as nice as I've seen in a long time.