Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

First time I've seen the new Corvette in the wild.  Southbound on the 405.  I guess I was expecting to see more of these in SoCal by now. This one has an Indiana plate on it.  Long drive in a hyper car!

image.png.d86b9a84a6a529de0da5306e09b156aa.png

Edited by Pete J.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:44 PM, Safire6 said:

My older brother worked at a Lincoln Mercury dealer and bought a new Fiesta when they first came out. Neat little car! Now that dune buggy is really nice! Any Triumphs in that group? Thanks for sharing.

The only Tiumphs at this particular display only had 2 wheels. 

steve

On 12/4/2020 at 9:38 PM, Pete J. said:

First time I've seen the new Corvette in the wild.  Southbound on the 405.  I guess I was expecting to see more of these in SoCal by now. This one has an Indiana plate on it.  Long drive in a hyper car!

I'll bet if you check the difference in registering it in California as compared to Indiana you'll be a long way toward explaining why its got Indiana plates.

41 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

I'll bet if you check the difference in registering it in California as compared to Indiana you'll be a long way toward explaining why its got Indiana plates.

Just out of curiosity I checked.  In Cal the 'vette would cost about $800.  In Indiana it would be about $150.  To you and me that is a lot but if you can afford $60 to $80 thousand  for a two seat toy,  $650 is hardly relevant.  It also looks like in Indiana that fee is constant throughout the life of the car.  In Cal, it is based on the depreciated value.  Over time that will drop.  Also the difference is probably far less than the cost of a "failure to properly register" ticket .  Everyone outside of Ca thinks that everything here is more expensive than anyplace else.  It just isn't true.  Everywhere in cal, is not Sherman Oaks. 

Speaking of the cost to register a vehicle in California. For most of my life I lived and worked in both southern and Northern parts of the state and was in the retail car business. At one dealership we also sold Motor Homes. You would be amazed at the number of buyers who had either an Oregon or Nevada residence to register them at. We had to physically deliver the vehicle in that state and have all papers notarized by a local notary in order for the buyer to avoid not only the registration fees but also the California sales tax. I don't know if Oregon still doesn't charge sales tax, but it was a very big deal on a $30k+ coach. Remember this was over twenty years ago and the selling prices were much lower than now.  

I live in Chester County Pennsylvania right on the Delaware border. PA has 6% sales tax and DE has none, so the local sport is going shopping to Delaware. As you hit the state border on Route 202, instantly there are huge shopping centers!  I bought my snow blower at Lowe’s there and my big screen TV at their Walmart. Savings on the $500 TV was $30 and $1000 snow blower was $60!  At least enough that we’d stop and have dinner!

38 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I live in Chester County Pennsylvania right on the Delaware border. PA has 6% sales tax and DE has none, so the local sport is going shopping to Delaware. As you hit the state border on Route 202, instantly there are huge shopping centers!  I bought my snow blower at Lowe’s there and my big screen TV at their Walmart. Savings on the $500 TV was $30 and $1000 snow blower was $60!  At least enough that we’d stop and have dinner!

It can get even weirder here.  Cities can charge a surtax on all sales.  My town charges .25% and I believe San Diego charges another .5%.  When I bought my new car I bought it in Yuma and avoided those.  Still have to pay the California tax to register it here but three quarters of a percent on $40,000 is significant.  Just to clarify, I didn't do it because of the tax.  After searching for several months, the Yuma Toyota dealer was the only place I could find the exact model I wanted.  Rented a car one way to go out and pick it up.