Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

1 hour ago, espo said:

Speaking of the cost to register a vehicle in California. For most of my life I lived and worked in both southern and Northern parts of the state and was in the retail car business. At one dealership we also sold Motor Homes. You would be amazed at the number of buyers who had either an Oregon or Nevada residence to register them at. We had to physically deliver the vehicle in that state and have all papers notarized by a local notary in order for the buyer to avoid not only the registration fees but also the California sales tax. I don't know if Oregon still doesn't charge sales tax, but it was a very big deal on a $30k+ coach. Remember this was over twenty years ago and the selling prices were much lower than now.  

I remember those days.  I wasn't very savvy back then and made the mistake of buying a 911 here, just before I was transferred to Michigan.   I could have avoided the Sales tax if I had bought it in Michigan, but then I just had to have that shiny green car!? 

8 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

I remember those days.  I wasn't very savvy back then and made the mistake of buying a 911 here, just before I was transferred to Michigan.   I could have avoided the Sales tax if I had bought it in Michigan, but then I just had to have that shiny green car!? 

California and its taxes is one of the reasons I left. I loved living there and all of the different micro climates and weather in general. I had lived near the beaches in SoCal, Santa Monica,  as well as the San Bernardino National Forest. The  central coast area north of Santa Barbara and the Monterey Peninsula before moving to Sacramento. While I enjoyed it, all of the personal income taxes along with the taxes on everything else was just eating my lunch. I don't see where it's gotten any better in the last 20 years since we left. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

California and its taxes is one of the reasons I left. I loved living there and all of the different micro climates and weather in general. I had lived near the beaches in SoCal, Santa Monica,  as well as the San Bernardino National Forest. The  central coast area north of Santa Barbara and the Monterey Peninsula before moving to Sacramento. While I enjoyed it, all of the personal income taxes along with the taxes on everything else was just eating my lunch. I don't see where it's gotten any better in the last 20 years since we left. 

They call it sunshine Tax?

Been seeing many classic, vintage cars still, because we have such nice weather (if being in "exceptional" drought counts, cars stay cleaner).  I usually don't have a chance to take pictures.  The other day saw a nice Auburn or Duesenberg boattail speedster replica, could tell by the wheels.   Today I saw this, which is driven around all the time.  The Tesla had to drag race it.  ?

IMG_0611.jpg

On 12/8/2020 at 1:00 PM, Earl Marischal said:

Who won?

steve

18 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Who won? 

LOL  The Tesla took off, the hot rod spurted a little but only to the speed limit.  Think he's been stopped too many times, and imagine the cops all know the car.  That's what I like about sleepers.

Yesterday was a great day for a drive, took the ‘57 out to my parents place for a visit. Saw a bunch of other guys with the same idea. Only got shots of this ‘32 3w and 4wd ‘58 or ‘59 Chevy fleetside.

Checking out some Christmas lights last night I spotted this ‘67 Camaro, a friend of mine says it hasn’t moved from that spot in over 10 years.

9F442C44-34CD-4817-9869-44DE4FA2CCE5.jpeg

13C08503-3529-4AA4-84EF-C26A75569138.jpeg

4BF58FD8-7713-42C8-A55D-C60E1E6F4026.jpeg

44161849-2442-4A4C-82E9-EB7995FFF753.jpeg

I hate to see any car, but especially a Camaro just sit like that. The owners always say they're going to restore it some day but do nothing to help to preserve the car in the mean time. By the time his widow tries to get rid of it there is nothing left. 

On 12/13/2020 at 7:30 AM, Quiet Eric said:

Yesterday was a great day for a drive, took the ‘57 out to my parents place for a visit. [...]

9F442C44-34CD-4817-9869-44DE4FA2CCE5.jpeg

[...]

I owned a '57 4 door station wagon, loved the view down the hood.  Got tired of hearing "nice Nomad".  ?

Was not today, but had a chance to take a picture of this '69 or '70 Blazer, over the hood of my '68 pickup.  He didn't wave.  ?

IMG_0646.jpg

12 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

Undoubtedly a replica but one I'd love to have in my garage.  VDO gauges and all.

9OLbwVMl.jpg

Wz5B05Fl.jpg

pRNCPUpl.jpg

Great looking "Kit Car". I like that the owner found a very early set of license plates, but they would have been for a commercial vehicle with that number on them unless they are some of the "new" plates that California has started to issue.