Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

14 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I saw Elvis and Big Foot driving a Tucker convertible!  🙂

Now that's funny. My remark on driving and taking pictures is based on my inability  to walk and chew gum at the same time.  

14 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Ford Corsair. Fairly sure it’s a 2000cc model with the V4. Excellent condition, especially as tha Ford silver paint was notorious for flaking back in the day.

steve

1B4B27D9-6B35-47C7-AAE5-FE86D30EC133.jpeg

That is a pretty car!  Heck, I'll even call it "sexy".  They don't make them like that anymore. Tasteful amount of chrome trim with integrated door handles, and I love those wheel covers.  The shape of the entire car is very pleasing to the eye.  Not like some of the contemporary deeply sculptured and convoluted-shape things they call "cars".

One thing I never understood  was the fender-mounted mirrors.  I mostly seen those on that vintage Japanese cars, but it looks like they might have been popular in the British Isles too.  There isn't much you can see in a small mirror mounted that far away from your eyes.  Kind of like trying to peer through a keyhole standing a foot away from it.

I PUT this one back on the road. Considered a total by the insurance company after the front crossmember was buckled while in the possession of the unethical body shop that had it in for a tiny fender-bender (and who tried to pass on the damage THEY caused by driving it into a post while the bumper cover was removed), at the owner's request, I got involved, pulled the car out of the crooked shop, and repaired it for a fraction of the $7000 estimate they'd written.

Now we're suing the other shop for fraud. I'm not the guy to try to cheat.

DSCN6318.JPG.a307d931a0f1438369aa2bbbf4e03b65.JPG

DSCN6391.JPG.d2613ae43fadb90d35804b6288fed5bc.JPG

Had a nice clean older resto of a '31 Ford coupe in next door...

DSCN6434.JPG.3b389345e3d97f193515684057bbbed3.JPG

And a pretty nice '68 Camaro convert in for a bodywork estimate...

DSCN6437.JPG.f4a40f63505a502672dda226b8cee9df.JPG

19 hours ago, peteski said:

One thing I never understood  was the fender-mounted mirrors.  I mostly seen those on that vintage Japanese cars, but it looks like they might have been popular in the British Isles too.  There isn't much you can see in a small mirror mounted that far away from your eyes.  Kind of like trying to peer through a keyhole standing a foot away from it.

Until the advent of door mounted mirrors as standard, that was the way car mirrors were employed. For one thing they were aftermarket accessories and didn’t normally come with the car. It wasn’t unusual for a cars in the UK at least, not to have ‘outside’ mirrors at all. Thinking about it, my first cars (all used/old) didn’t. The first car I owned that had door mirrors was my Saab 900S that I bought (again used) in 1997. 

steve

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I PUT this one back on the road. Considered a total by the insurance company after the front crossmember was buckled while in the possession of the unethical body shop that had it in for a tiny fender-bender (and who tried to pass on the damage THEY caused by driving it into a post while the bumper cover was removed), at the owner's request, I got involved, pulled the car out of the crooked shop, and repaired it for a fraction of the $7000 estimate they'd written.

Now we're suing the other shop for fraud. I'm not the guy to try to cheat.

DSCN6318.JPG.a307d931a0f1438369aa2bbbf4e03b65.JPG

DSCN6391.JPG.d2613ae43fadb90d35804b6288fed5bc.JPG

Had a nice clean older resto of a '31 Ford coupe in next door...

DSCN6434.JPG.3b389345e3d97f193515684057bbbed3.JPG

And a pretty nice '68 Camaro convert in for a bodywork estimate...

DSCN6437.JPG.f4a40f63505a502672dda226b8cee9df.JPG

Nice work on the Miata Bill !

On 4/2/2021 at 4:12 PM, peteski said:

Not an official explanation but when I was stationed in Japan in the mid 70's I asked the Japanese interpreter about that.  He explained that it had to do with visibility.  By use of the defroster the fender mounted mirrors were visible through the windshield whereas they weren't nearly so visible on door mounts.  With modern defrost systems that isn't as much a problem.  Made sense to 20's something me.

1 minute ago, Perspective Customs said:

Sometimes it's not the car, it's the driver.

True dat!

Not totally in the spirit of this thread, but got to ride in, then drive, this thing today:

9F445F1D-B13E-4168-AC0B-7967D5FB3F23.thumb.jpeg.3b6d201105c90c7deae92ea01c5aadfa.jpeg

SUPER fun!  1000cc twin engine, turbocharged, continuously variable transmission like a snowmobile, adjustable air shocks, super lightweight - total blast to bomb around in!  REALLY quick off the line too - accelerates better than about any fast car I’ve ever driven, or feels like it does anyway...

Took it across some fields and gravel and bumps and definitely not on the little stretch of highway outside the shop because that probably isn’t allowed.  With the sway bars removed it’ll bring the front wheels off the ground REAL easy if it has a little traction!