Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Last night I was going to make a left turn in my 2014 Chevy Impala when I looked at the car up ahead and recognized the pair of triple tail lights of a vintage Impala.  I pulled up quickly and found it was three vintage Impalas up ahead of me.  The lead Impala was a 1968 fastback coupe followed by a 1963 convertible and a 1962 coupe.  My and my 2014 Impala unwittingly became part of an Impala caravan.  

23 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

There are certain cars that were so ubiquitous that you couldn't help but see them every day. Then one day...POOF! They all disappeared from the roads. There were plenty of these A-Body sedans on the roads until the early 1990's, as winter beaters and little old lady cars, then they vanished from view. This '68 Valiant was parked down the street from my Dad's office.

IMG_20210501_132646.jpg

IMG_20210501_132705.jpg

IMG_20210501_132729.jpg

IMG_20210501_132715.jpg

Hmmmm.... no plates and a flat tire. Maybe somebody is looking to ditch it on the street. LOL!

4 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Hmmmm.... no plates and a flat tire. Maybe somebody is looking to ditch it on the street. LOL!

It's sitting across the street from the local garage. There is rust in the quarters, but the bottom may be solid enough to get back on the road.

18 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

A rare beast over here, especially on the High Street of a small market town.

steve

IMG_1681.JPG

How does the owner get away without government issued license plates?  Or does the custom plate correspond to his/her assigned registration?  Not that the owner is likely to meet his match driving the other way.  The Rat Fink mirror hanger is a nice touch.

@The Junkman

Steve,

UK registration numbers are allocated nationally by the Driver & Vehicle Licencesing Agency to the vehicle, not the owner. (Personalised plates are allowed but have to be part of the number plate register.) No numbers are duplicated. Each year new vehicles are given as part of the number, a year designation; there are 2 per year, every 6 months. For instance, the reg no of my Peugeot is WF55 XYP. The 55 means it was first registered in the second half of 2005.

However, kit cars, rods and other 'specials' can apply for an old, out of use, number either from the vehicle on which the 'special' is based or another 'dead' vehicle. 

All that said, the car pictured not only has plates of dubious legality due to size and font (these are specified in the regs), it doesn't have mudguards/fenders. Also technically illegal.

steve

Edited by Earl Marischal

23 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

@The Junkman

Steve,

UK registration numbers are allocated nationally by the Driver & Vehicle Licencesing Agency to the vehicle, not the owner. (Personalised plates are allowed but have to be part of the number plate register.) No numbers are duplicated. Each year new vehicles are given as part of the number, a year designation; there are 2 per year, every 6 months. For instance, the reg no of my Peugeot is WF55 XYP. The 55 means it was first registered in the second half of 2005.

However, kit cars, rods and other 'specials' can apply for an old, out of use, number either from the vehicle on which the 'special' is based or another 'dead' vehicle. 

All that said, the car pictured not only has plates of dubious legality due to size and font (these are specified in the regs), it doesn't have mudguards/fenders. Also technically illegal.

steve

So you're saying this may be a case of a UK driver pushing the bounds of legality?  Hmmm, same here.  😄  Also fenders/mudflaps would be required on this rig in California.  OTOH, you can go for YEARS without being cited.  The cops appreciate the classic nature of the setup.

Some of the cars I've seen lately here in Finland...

'63 Cadillac:

spacer.png

Several VW Beetles, but this is the only one that I was able to take a picture of.

spacer.png

Renault 4. A common car back in the day, nowadays not so much...

spacer.png

'65 Buick Skylark...

spacer.png

Very nice '64 Impala SS.

spacer.png

Ford Cortina GT.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Imperial Crown.

spacer.png

Mazda 1300. These things were fairly common as well, but nowadays it's rare to see one in traffic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a really cool Jeep J4000.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 5/2/2021 at 10:54 PM, Russell C said:

'57 Chev 4-door.

[...]

Only a 4-door post.  😴  Nice color, and has the Route 66 plate.

Seen the red '69 on the road, don't know if the vintage pickup runs, but it has moved.  New antique store in town, had to photo bomb with Blue Cloud.

IMG_1717.jpg

6 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Apparently Ohio has a radically different idea of what a "Historic Vehicle" is!  Maybe they are "rare" there?

I think the only criteria is 25 years old or older.   Not sure what the incentive for them is, regular car registration is cheap here compared to other states.  I can't imagine putting a 'historical' plate on a Geo Metro.

Per the Ohio BMV website:

A person who owns a motor vehicle that is more than 25 years old and that is owned solely as a collector’s item used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses may apply for registration of the vehicle and issuance of a Historical license plate with the Application and Affadavit for Historical License plates (form BMV 4860).

Historical license plates are valid (without renewal) for the life of the vehicle, unless they are Initial Reserve, Personalized, or if there is a change in the vehicle’s ownership. 

Restrictions: A historical motor vehicle shall not be used for general transportation, but may be operated on the public roads and highways to and from a location where maintenance is performed on the vehicle.

Edited by Rob Hall

8 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Apparently Ohio has a radically different idea of what a "Historic Vehicle" is!  Maybe they are "rare" there?

Or maybe he belongs to one of the Suzuki Swift owners clubs and they tell him how special it is?