Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

16 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

This used car dealer/junk yard in Oxford, MA has had some interesting things for sale on the occasions I happened to pass by.  This '64 Austin was seen a couple of weeks ago or so.

I'll bet it was driven by a little old lady, only on Sundays....

233306881_OxfordMA(2021)IMG_0952copy.jpg.bcfb8c49b8a134667427e4c7be9860fc.jpg1572159443_OxfordMA(2021)IMG_0950copy.jpg.2314efda5d682d6bbaad6dee84cc1932.jpg

That's a (British) Ford Thames 307E van, well the body is anyway. 😁

steve

parked next to this while running errands after work today.  one of the strangest things iv ever seen, this old dude, had to be well into his 70's and showing it, was driving it.  he got out, walked away, grabbed a shopping cart in the parking lot and headed in the direction of the grocery store.  i was heading elsewhere.   as i was walking back to my truck probably 10 minutes later i could hear and smell that he left it there running while he went shopping!  im thinking, dude come on.  if you're not going to take better care of it, sell it to me 

20211203_163858_HDR1.jpg

1 hour ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

smell that he left

The first time I read what you wrote I had a completely different idea of what you were saying......

Don't see too many 65 Chevelle posts anymore, especially with 65-66 vintage black plates.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:11 PM, Brian Austin said:

This used car dealer/junk yard in Oxford, MA has had some interesting things for sale on the occasions I happened to pass by.  This '64 Austin was seen a couple of weeks ago or so.

I'll bet it was driven by a little old lady, only on Sundays....

233306881_OxfordMA(2021)IMG_0952copy.jpg.bcfb8c49b8a134667427e4c7be9860fc.jpg1572159443_OxfordMA(2021)IMG_0950copy.jpg.2314efda5d682d6bbaad6dee84cc1932.jpg

It looks more like a 60's Ford Anglia 105E Panel Van.

• Like 1

1964 GTO convertible in Yorktown Blue and an owner with a sense of history.  He had plates reading "1ST MSCL".  Top was down, the tires had redlines, and the driver was smiling.

9hmfM9b.jpg

No photos as I was crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in traffic and the usual 10 foot lanes.  Thought it important to keep my hands on the wheel.

Edited by The Junkman

On 12/3/2021 at 6:24 PM, Suburban_Hooligan said:

probably 10 minutes later i could hear and smell that he left it there running while he went shopping!

A few older folks do that. I’m not too sure why though. Maybe he has bigger problems on his mind than preventing his car from being joyrider bait. Not sure what could be more important though, lol.

22 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

A few older folks do that. I’m not too sure why though. Maybe he has bigger problems on his mind than preventing his car from being joyrider bait. Not sure what could be more important though, lol.

Maybe it's a car that once it's warmed up and then shut off is very hard to start again...

8 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

I think you’re correct in that case, I doubt that Chevelle was stock under the hood. 

But I’ve seen older folks pull up to a grocery store in say, a Ford Escape and do that. And I can guarantee that little Ecoboost wasn’t carbureted or blown. 

I've left my Jeep running and locked when I go in the drug store on cold days so the interior stays warm...or remote started it while in a store so it's warm when I come out.  

22 hours ago, sfhess said:

Remember on GM cars of that era you could take the key out of the ignition switch while the car was running.

A lot of that was caused by the California Smog laws. Their thinking was we didn't need a vacuum advance unit on our Distributers, and we should have the timing retarded to the point that the Combustion Chamber would remain hot enough to ignite any remaining fuel in the Combustion Chamber when the ignition was turn off. This was often referred to as "dieseling" because of the sound as the engine would sputter to a stop. The plus side was if you had a manual transmission, you could hold your foot on the brakes and release the clutch with the car in gear as this would stop the engine without any further damage to the internals of the engine.  

6 hours ago, espo said:

A lot of that was caused by the California Smog laws. Their thinking was we didn't need a vacuum advance unit on our Distributers, and we should have the timing retarded to the point that the Combustion Chamber would remain hot enough to ignite any remaining fuel in the Combustion Chamber when the ignition was turn off. This was often referred to as "dieseling" because of the sound as the engine would sputter to a stop. The plus side was if you had a manual transmission, you could hold your foot on the brakes and release the clutch with the car in gear as this would stop the engine without any further damage to the internals of the engine.  

GM ignition switches were designed so you could take the key out while the engine was running.  This feature had nothing to do with "dieseling".

Edited by sfhess