Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

I'm not 100% certain but I think he was referring the generally loose tolerances for key slots in '60s ignition switches.  I recall leaving the car running and being able to physically remove the key while the ignition was still positioned in place.  May have well just used a toggle switch.

24 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

I'm not 100% certain but I think he was referring the generally loose tolerances for key slots in '60s ignition switches.  I recall leaving the car running and being able to physically remove the key while the ignition was still positioned in place.  May have well just used a toggle switch.

I remember some of my Dad’s older cars were like that. And some the keys would interchange.  Like the ignition keys would interchange between a ‘67 Cougar and ‘69 Mustang, but not the door keys. 

12 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I remember some of my Dad’s older cars were like that. And some the keys would interchange.  Like the ignition keys would interchange between a ‘67 Cougar and ‘69 Mustang, but not the door keys. 

Years ago, a friend of mine who was a CHP officer went to back up the city police on an incident along with a number of other officers.  This was during the early '90's when all the cops were driving Ford Crown Victorias.  The incident was done and he went to leave, hopped in the car, fired it up and as he was driving away he found that the radio wasn't where he left it.  His car keys were a match for the city police car and that's what he had driven off in.  Embarrassment was general.  We had understood that the key codes were classified but OTOH the world of police vehicles is a small one.

11 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

Years ago, a friend of mine who was a CHP officer went to back up the city police on an incident along with a number of other officers.  This was during the early '90's when all the cops were driving Ford Crown Victorias.  The incident was done and he went to leave, hopped in the car, fired it up and as he was driving away he found that the radio wasn't where he left it.  His car keys were a match for the city police car and that's what he had driven off in.  Embarrassment was general.  We had understood that the key codes were classified but OTOH the world of police vehicles is a small one.

I’ve read that some police departments key their vehicles identically so the keys are interchangeable across the fleet. 

About 20 years ago I had an odd experience with my Jeep, walking towards it in a parking lot clicked the fob to unlock it from a distance and a Chrysler Sebring convertible that was closer unlocked and it’s lights flashed.  Clicked the fob again and it locked and flashed. 

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

Good grief. Were they all driving unmarked cars or did he fail to notice what emblem was on the door? I am not surprised about the keys fitting. Others mentioned that Ford will deliver you a fleet that all use the same key. IIRC, the older cop cars had different door cylinders that used the same key as the ignition, not like civilian CVs. The offset of the two rows of teeth is normally different between the door/trunk and the ignition key so they don't even fit in each other's cylinders.

30 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I’ve read that some police departments key their vehicles identically so the keys are interchangeable across the fleet. 

A lot of fleets used to do that. Back around 1977 the local utility sold a fleet of 1966 Nova meter reader cars. All gold 2 door sedans, complete strippers except for the 2 speed automatics. Cars didn’t even have radios.

A buddy of mine bought one for something like $100. There were a lot of these around. We figured out they had a fleet key, so whenever we were driving around looking for trouble as young boys will, and we spotted one of these parked, we’d move it using my friend’s key! Just moved within a parking lot or facing the other direction.. just enough to make the owner notice. We thought we were hilarious! 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, sfhess said:

GM ignition switches were designed so you could take the key out while the engine was running.  This feature had nothing to do with "dieseling".

When I mentioned Dieseling I was referring to what was also called "running on". What was happening was that the combustion chamber was so hot it would ignite any amount of fuel that may be in the combustion chamber, and this would keep the engine running in a sputtering fashion and the sound was often associated with that of a diesel engine and so that name as well. Yes, the ignition key could be removed, and this would trigger the condition in the engine where the ignition system no longer provided the spark too the spark plugs and the heat in the combustion chamber is what was causing the small amount of fuel present to ignite.  The excessive engine heat was created by the retarded spark advance dictated by the California Air Research Board, called CARB as their acremen. This was also a required retro fit on many '60's era cars and trucks even if they had the factory California Emissions systems from the factory. My '69 Camaro and '66 El Camino required that the vacuum advance from the carb. to the distributer be removed and caps installed on both. They also required that the ignition timing be retarded to 0 or less as opposed to the factory setting that was in the 10 degrees or more advanced. This is what caused the excessive heat buildup in the combustion chamber. While the state thought this helped reduce emissions it also caused premature engine wear and even failure. I hope this better explains what I was trying to express. 

33 minutes ago, espo said:

When I mentioned Dieseling I was referring to what was also called "running on". What was happening was that the combustion chamber was so hot it would ignite any amount of fuel that may be in the combustion chamber, and this would keep the engine running in a sputtering fashion and the sound was often associated with that of a diesel engine and so that name as well. Yes, the ignition key could be removed, and this would trigger the condition in the engine where the ignition system no longer provided the spark too the spark plugs and the heat in the combustion chamber is what was causing the small amount of fuel present to ignite.  The excessive engine heat was created by the retarded spark advance dictated by the California Air Research Board, called CARB as their acremen. This was also a required retro fit on many '60's era cars and trucks even if they had the factory California Emissions systems from the factory. My '69 Camaro and '66 El Camino required that the vacuum advance from the carb. to the distributer be removed and caps installed on both. They also required that the ignition timing be retarded to 0 or less as opposed to the factory setting that was in the 10 degrees or more advanced. This is what caused the excessive heat buildup in the combustion chamber. While the state thought this helped reduce emissions it also caused premature engine wear and even failure. I hope this better explains what I was trying to express. 

I know what you were trying to express.  I experienced it many times myself.

We ere on the top deck of a bus returning from Christmas shopping in Oxford. When we stopped at traffic lights to let students cross I looked down into a front garden across the road, a very large house no doubt turned into student flats. I saw a new bright coloured Ford Mustang (Yellow or Orange) The number plate caught my eye: MU51 ANG. Interesting. The Mustang sells quite well now here in the UK as it comes in Right Hand Drive as that keeps the registering easy and insurance costs at a reasonable price, the car selling at £42,525. And the Mach-E electric at £42,530.

I showed a Vega a couple of weeks ago.  Last week, outside of a Trader Joe's in Santa Rosa CA I saw a second but this was a Cosworth Twin Cam in black with gold trim and black interior just like this

OQmcGtS.jpg

No picture because the driver had the gall to be sitting in it at the time.  Seemed presumptive of me.

Edited by The Junkman

I saw a '90s Nissan 240 SX convertible in a supermarket parking lot in Manchester NH.  Just like this one:

a2a8579a2ddee940327f34bb822e98feb2bbf02f.jpg?auto=format&fit=crop&ar=16:9&w=2618

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_240SX

When I first noticed it from the distance I didn't know what it was. Only after walking around it (seeing the Nissan logo and "240SX" on the rear bumper) I knew what it was.  I can't remember last time I've seen one of these cars.  I don't think they were very popular even back, here in USA in the '90s.

Edited by peteski

12 minutes ago, peteski said:

I don't think they were very popular even back in the '90s.

They were released around 1988 and Seemed to gain popularity around the release of “The Fast and The Furious” movie as all Japanese cars and Drifting culture blew up. 

Pretty sure all the convertibles are 1.8L as well as were released in the early models before the 2L version. Not sure about your USDM version as they had another motor again (KA 2.4L??)