Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

On 4/17/2022 at 12:27 PM, gasman said:

I pass this on my mail route every day. The worlds rustiest 71-72 El Camino, the front clip is missing, but still has the hood, the roof is smashed in, and it had a vinyl top that turned the roof into Rusty Swiss cheese, this thing is buried in the woods, it wouldn’t be worth the effort to dig out, 

2A5F0980-65B9-46D8-B35E-9EE01AB25B83.jpeg

Just give the info to this guy.

His next project is a rolled and slightly burned 69 roadrunner, so the Elcamino is right up his alley. 

Great guy, and funny. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 8:02 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

A run of good weather has brought out lots of stuff locally, a little '60s selection here:

IMG_8869.JPG.f0ef1de6230d6d6f00ea0a6719d8c038.JPG

This one's apparently a 3.4. Tyres look fatter than standard.

IMG_8939.JPG.66670d5110cfc43055a7f0440c7702ba.JPG

This Alpine (not Tiger) sounded great

IMG_8837.JPG.56c0be8110de7c8f27eea7e1f964168a.JPG

IMG_9005.JPG.03526d8f8f0eefb3012131e82b3a6b0b.JPG

This one is from 1965, but with their late '50s US styling these BMC Farinas looked somewhat dated by the early '70s when the final versions were eventually discontinued. I suppose the same can be said of the Humber above, which was replaced in 1967 or so.

Always liked Sunbeam Alpines. Would take one over an MGB every time.

That Sceptre is a rare bird.

steve

12 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

Not on road, more like end of the road.....  Out for a bicycle ride and happened to see this at the junkyard  right near the crusher.   Looked to still have a few usable parts.

IMG_7927m.jpg

Who ever is operating the crusher when this old Hudson comes up had better of eaten his Wheaties that morning.  

I'll start off with an actual on-the-road shot, at a stop light.  Seen before at cruise nights, license plate is THJURY.
IMG_3788.thumb.jpg.cfbc3aa3411c78c720dc07e1300c293a.jpg

At the Pavilions cruise night in Snotsdale, which is every week.  Front plate says SURVIVOR.  It's probably more rare than most of the cars present.
IMG_3766.thumb.jpg.d21bdd44fcc29dfb345ed14e5939560a.jpg

Ford Crown Vic, had a racing seat, and enough mods to qualify for something.
IMG_3770.thumb.jpg.ba112b3fd82be3901b81c6518e3c168d.jpg

Two of 3 McLarens, I don't follow the latest supercars anymore, can't keep track of them.
IMG_3785.thumb.jpg.762653a2b8911b57a58a22461f77e0cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keyser said:

Lime 765LT ftw. 💖🤑
Grey Mac is a 570 with body kit on it. 
Aventador, nice Olds 98 HT, and an obscure late AMX Spirit in background. 
Fun Kurt!

Thank you!

Here is another view of the 570, I wouldn't think having the exhaust in the wing airstream would be a good idea.
IMG_3786.thumb.jpg.e0cc2b6c914783b3c8e48bcce5139e2f.jpg

This is more my speed, a patina '69 Chevy C-10 with a turbo V8.  Looks like no heater, but it's Phoenix, and they could draw heat from the turbo.
IMG_3768.thumb.jpg.c3dd843d488654c1b213d8d26005668a.jpg

On 4/21/2022 at 5:32 AM, The Junkman said:

Maserati Levante SUV in dark blue, shopping center parking lot in Windsor, CA just like this one:

dkMJyJZ.jpg

It does NOT stand out in a crowd.

Yes we've got one in town now, in the same colour. Although Maserati is a favourite of mine, as you say it's not readily recognisable.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:20 PM, The Junkman said:

What did this BRZ do in a previous life to deserve what has happened to it now?  Looks like the owner hoisted a wing and slid a BRZ under it.  Seen yesterday in our local Costco parking lot.  The driver looked to be 19 yrs old.  Don't know if you can tell but those fender flares are attached with self tapping sheet metal screws with neoprene washers. 😮

kpxYZTX.jpg

jg4nTwi.jpg

It looks like the arches were put on with industrial 'Pop Rivets'.

Around here, this is a very rare truck. I ordered this for a client back in December, and it's heading out today for equipment top be installed.

We haven't had a regular cab truck arrive in literally 9 months. And I checked into our inventory history. We haven't had a regular cab truck available in our inventory in almost 5 years. Did a dealer search just now out of curiosity. In all of Canada, there are currently only 5 new Ford Super Duty pickups with a regular cab. 

Crazy. Regular cabs used to be everywhere.

20220426_074328.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keyser said:

I’ve never seen one on dealer lot in 10y. 
Rare on street in TX, usually dragging 4 horse box or more. Rare work truck seen. Nice truck. Lightning come in single cab?

Lightning is Crewcab with the stubby 5.5ft box only. For now. I think in the higher (Lariat & Platinum) trim levels, that will remain the only configuration. In the more basic Pro and XLT trim levels though, it wouldn't surprise me to see the 6.5ft box or maybe the Supercab added to the available specs. I'd welcome that addition for sure.

And really, although crew/short configuration isn't a "real" truck, it makes up something like 80% of F150 sales. So sticking with that configuration makes total sense from a business point of view.

• Like 1

Regular cabs are definitely a rarity down here in the US also...my ex-brother-in-law's brother owns a construction company, saw him recently with his new 2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD regular cab long bed work truck.   Might be the first regular cab of the current gen Silverado I've seen in person. 

Local dealers just seem to order Crew Cabs for inventory anymore. Hard to sell what you don't stock, and most customer don't realize that the standard cab is even built anymore. Since the dealers aren't selling standard cabs, the factory is going to stop building them. 

I really wish I could’ve gotten a picture of what I saw on my way home. Metallic gray Chevy II, pro street. Huge front splitter and the rear tires looked like a couple of 50 gallon drums turned on their sides. Couple of old dudes inside it smiling ear to ear, shoot I would be too!